Wilmot Frankland Ranges

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilmot Frankland Ranges

Postby Fin » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:54 pm

I am planning a walk across the Wilmot Frankland Ranges in Feb 08. I have planned 2-3 days to the Moat, a side day trip to Remote Peak, then 2 days to Secheron (with rest/weather days in between). I had planned going out over Lloyd Jones and Terminal Pk but someone suggested it is difficult getting down off Secheron toward Lloyd Jones, so we should go SW to Giblin and out to Scotts Peak.
Does anyone have a suggestion/recommendation of which option is preferrable from Secheron to Scotts Peak?
Fin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby chapman » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 1:23 pm

Descending from Frankland Peak is not easy and Secheron peak is also not easy. Very similar to the descents in parts of the Western Arthurs but of course the route/pad is not as well defined hence you have to find your own way down. For experienced rock climbers, those with alpine climbing experience or those who enjoy really steep rough descents its not a real problem. For those seeking something closer to a walk than a climb then drop off Frankland Peak south into Jones pass (steep scrub but not too bad) then you can follow Pebbly Creek or go over the top of Mt Giblin depending on weather.

Regards
John
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Wilmot Frankland Ranges

Postby Fin » Sat 01 Sep, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks John, that was the way suggested by a recent visitor to the area. We may just see what it's like, and what the weather's doing, when we get to Frankland and Secheron. I don't mind either way

thanks again for the info
Fin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania