Attempting Rhona...AGAIN

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Attempting Rhona...AGAIN

Postby Marky » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 8:10 am

This is my 3rd attempt and feeling confident.. except for this rain that has been going all night..bugger... hopefully GORDON will be kind to me this time...

Leaving Sunday returning Tuesday VIA TIGER/RANGE road, came in thru Timbs track last time long day to get turned back at the gordon bend. Spoke to the ranger yesterday she seemed confident i'd get accross that way.

Anyone been up there recently?? Whats the track like?? should I even bother trying with the recent rains..............
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Attempting Rhona...AGAIN

Postby ollster » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:01 am

I was up there with some mates in Feb (or thereabouts). Weather was great for us, the Gordon was about lower-calf level. The rest of the track was basically bone dry. I would expect the Gordon to be a bit higher right now, but you might be OK. If you can get across the Gordon it should be plain sailing. Just don't take any silly risks, and check the rain forecast!

Just as a note, the ford that the the Tiger Road track takes you to is a pretty consistent depth, so if it's OK on the near side, it will basically be the same across the ford.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Marky » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 3:30 pm

Awesome! thanks! thats actually very helpful! When I tried to get across the gordon bend it was over head height from the banks.... I later found out that is the deepest part but they tell me its usually only about waist deep... And no no silly risks ive been thwarted before by the gordon, if it looks inpassable I'll return to the car for a trip to wylds craig maybe.......
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Sun 19 Oct, 2008 9:37 am

Generally its not as deep as it looks. Very deceptive especially if its an overcast day. So I'd recommend testing the depth with a stick.
As Ollster says, its pretty much the same depth all the way across and the best spot to cross is further up stream away from the logs.
I've been in there once for a scouting mission in september and it was well up over the banks. But I think you'll be ok, I'd expect the
level to rise quickly after rain then drop just as quickly.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Tasmania