anyone going into Lees Paddocks before november

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

anyone going into Lees Paddocks before november

Postby gorby » Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:33 pm

just wondered if someone could take some special food into the hut for the pesky mouses that have returned.

I can leave the prescribed medication at a convenient place at Deloraine.

pm me if you can help
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Poisons in the Bush

Postby corvus » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 7:58 pm

G'day,
With all due respects I cannot endorse the request to POISION our endemic Long Tail Mice,they are only there as a result of the smorgasboard of food left by us around the hut and the fact that the big Tiger Snake that lived there moved on or was killed.
Poison the Mice and you create on ongowing problem -- a dead or dying mouse eaten by other native animal or bird-- will be poisoned -- that prey eaten kills, or affects other native animals ------ and so on
After all if our American cousins can handle bears what is our problem with"we timmerin cowerin beasties" how much can they eat and why make it easy for them,hang your tucker bags or leave them a wee feast on the floor.
Sorry but I cannot justify KILLING any of our native animals just because they are considered a minor pest.
We all thought that the "DEVIL" was invincable but who knows what caused the disease (I suspect man made) prehaps Mouse Poison or other horrors that we tend to inflict on wildlife.
Regards
corvus
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby gorby » Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:41 pm

Alas,I have seen the error of my ways,

gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Lees Hut

Postby corvus » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 7:33 pm

G'day,
Love your pic it reminded me to bring extra cheese next time I visit the hut
to ensure our wee beasties dont go hungry :D
Did you ever get aquainted with the big Tiger Snake that used to live under the Hut pre renovations ,gees you talked about sweat on the brow and poo in the pants I also had pee down my leg but the snake must have decided that I was unsavoury and went back to bed and ignored me
guess what that night I got bitten by a spider,oh the joys of heritage hut life eh :)
corvus
corvus

Postby gorby » Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:45 pm

I have heard about the snake that liked to sleep under the bedding and tried to get to the swallow nest from Lewis Lee and his family.
I had the privilege of sharing a walk back out of the paddocks with lewis
and it was fairly slow but many stories of different eras were told.
Lewis's grandsons and nephews grew up with me and we have spent many trips at the paddocks working and relaxing over the years.
It has been rewarding the last two years with Lewis's great grandson
making regular trips.He is the fifth generation to venture up there.
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Anyone going to Lees Paddocks in Nov

Postby corvus » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 7:01 pm

What a mavelous experience you must have had sharing a trip with Lewis Lee and how lucky are you to still be sharing time at the "paddocks" with a decendant.
Did you get involved with the renovations which are great tho I did like the origional especially sitting round the central fireplace its was in those days that the snake caused a grundy change for me :)
corvus
corvus

Postby gorby » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:49 pm

I have helped with most of the renovations,the first trip found that the creek had broke its banks and was running through the dirt end of the hut and fungus was growing out of human poo in the fireplace.
The other improvements have helped in making the hut a little more user friendly.
Some have said that the changes have spoiled the hut,but it was at a state
where it was not fit to stay in.
After we had reroofed it and was sitting around the heater ,Lewis's son in law was asked by his own son
"what would pa think of the hut now?" the reply was "he would love it"

It is a wonderful part of the world up there,November long weekend will be the next trip in,not real sure what is on the agenda,maybe preparing for the refloor of the southern end.
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Lees Paddocks November long weekend

Postby corvus » Wed 26 Sep, 2007 4:15 pm

I thought you may have been part of the "reno team" and I agree that Lewis would have approved of its improved state.
And was'nt he a wise man to pick the site that he did that would just avoid total flooding.
Good luck with your further work on the Hut I look forward to visiting again in Summer or even sooner if time permits.
Corvus
corvus

Return to Tasmania