Eastern/Western Arthur Range inquiry

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Eastern/Western Arthur Range inquiry

Postby syzygyeolith » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 2:56 am

I can't explain the near obsessive draw, but I've always loved Tassie, and I've visited it several times now. I did my first ever multi-day hike in March this year on the Overland Track, and I'm already planning out my next one for some time between November and March. I had originally wanted to do the Overland again (and surely will), but I just wanted to scope out my options on other renowned multi-day hikes. The Arthur Range in particular caught my eye, and I was hoping to get some advice from anyone familiar with it.

I've read it to be much more difficult than the Overland with far fewer hikers along the way. As I understand it, there is also no huts or water tanks along the way. All this in itself is more a drawcard than a deterrent for me, but I'd like to know more about what to expect exactly (in so-much as you can describe a week and a half long walk in a paragraph). I've also read that the track itself can phase in and out of 'follow-ability'. This for me is much more of a concern, as there is a fine line between isolation and being lost.

Although I did complete the Overland, I'm by no means an 'experienced' hiker, and I'm more than likely going to be doing this alone.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!
syzygyeolith
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Eastern/Western Arthur Range inquiry

Postby philm » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 8:23 am

You will need to consider that you are going from one of the greatest but easiest multi-day hikes (The Overland) to the most difficult hike in Tasmania (in the Westpern Arthurs).

For the Western Arthurs you need to be experienced, have good gear and know how to use it.

My advice would be to build up to the Arthurs in a few years by doing a number of other great multipday walks in Tasmania - there are plenty.

Perhaps the Walls of Jerusalem, then the South Coast Track etc.

I would build up in terms of first being self sufficient and treking without huts and water tanks etc. Then once you are proficient here then learning more about navigaton and off-track walking.

The Western Arthurs whilst a great walk can be wild and deadly for the unprepared.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby pazzar » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 9:44 am

Good advice - The Arthurs are fantastic, but if unprepared can be dangerous. The walk itself is lots of up and down, ridge top walking. It is known knee killer. It isn't too bad for follow-ability, the track is pretty obvious in most places. It is a big step up from the OT. The Arthurs are exposed, and receive some of the worst weather in the state. I've been in snow on the WA's in November, and even heavier snow on the EA's in February, so there is no guarantee of good weather either.

There are heaps of walks to train yourself up with first though. South Coast is a good start. It is the logical progression from the OT. After that, the Anne circuit, Frenchmans Cap, The Labyrinth area, are slightly more difficult walks that can be done in as little as 3 days, but can take as long as you like.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 4:29 pm

I would not put the Western Arthurs as the "most difficult hike in Tasmania". Any major off track walk in the South West would typically be a lot harder.

The Arthur Range is certainly quite a different type of walk than the Overland Track. The whole range is compact - not much longer than you could walk in one day on the Overland Track. The Arthurs (E and W) has a pretty well marked track in most places - but the walking style needed is a lot different than the Overland Track - you need to look around to find the route, you need to almost constantly be scrambling - you need to use your hands a lot to hold onto things -rock handholds, trees, tree roots - and you are very often going up or down steep slopes and sometimes cliffs - often with a fair bit of exposure. You do all this with a full pack. And it is a high level traverse - so you are in the full force of strong winds and bad weather.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby syzygyeolith » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info. It's good to get a definition on what constitutes 'difficult', and to have a logical progression to follow. Still wanting to do it at some stage, of course.
Since I'm predominantly interested in week long bush walks, The South Coast looks to be the one for me. A chartered flight to the start (end?) of it sounds like it could be exciting too.
syzygyeolith
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 6:13 pm

syzygyeolith wrote: The South Coast looks to be the one for me. A chartered flight to the start (end?) of it sounds like it could be exciting too.

It is a nice walk. Fly in though as you can be delayed by bad weather and it's better being delayed at Hobart rather than Melaleuca.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 7:14 pm

syzygyeolith wrote:Thanks for the info. It's good to get a definition on what constitutes 'difficult', and to have a logical progression to follow. Still wanting to do it at some stage, of course.
Since I'm predominantly interested in week long bush walks, The South Coast looks to be the one for me. A chartered flight to the start (end?) of it sounds like it could be exciting too.

Your best bet is to get Chapman's SW Tasmania book and start reading up... It should answer a lot of your questions.
I wouldn't discount looking at Frenchman's Cap - that is a good progression from the Overland Track, and so is the Mt Anne Circuit...
South Coast would be good in terms of getting you used to self sufficiency on a multi-day walk, but its quite different to the range walks in my opinion.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ent » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 7:17 pm

DaveNoble wrote:I would not put the Western Arthurs as the "most difficult hike in Tasmania". Any major off track walk in the South West would typically be a lot harder.

The Arthur Range is certainly quite a different type of walk than the Overland Track. The whole range is compact - not much longer than you could walk in one day on the Overland Track. The Arthurs (E and W) has a pretty well marked track in most places - but the walking style needed is a lot different than the Overland Track - you need to look around to find the route, you need to almost constantly be scrambling - you need to use your hands a lot to hold onto things -rock handholds, trees, tree roots - and you are very often going up or down steep slopes and sometimes cliffs - often with a fair bit of exposure. You do all this with a full pack. And it is a high level traverse - so you are in the full force of strong winds and bad weather.

Dave

Fully agree. The weather is the key so ensure a good forecast before heading off.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 8:56 pm

DaveNoble wrote:I would not put the Western Arthurs as the "most difficult hike in Tasmania".

No, but it's probably the hardest tracked walk.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby roysta » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:18 pm

DaveNoble wrote: The Arthurs (E and W) has a pretty well marked track in most places - but the walking style needed is a lot different than the Overland Track - you need to look around to find the route, you need to almost constantly be scrambling - you need to use your hands a lot to hold onto things -rock handholds, trees, tree roots - and you are very often going up or down steep slopes and sometimes cliffs - often with a fair bit of exposure. You do all this with a full pack. And it is a high level traverse - so you are in the full force of strong winds and bad weather. Dave

ah Capricorn and the Beggary Bumps in foul weather, such fond memories.
I'll be back that way in March and if the weather's better I just might repeat the West instead of doing the East.
You sure do need to know what you're doing though.
roysta

Postby bernieq » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 5:31 pm

All good advice so far – I’d emphasise that going solo on the WAs requires considerably more skill/experience than the OT. Consider going with a group (led by someone with those skills).

DSCN5085.JPG
Lake Oberon - Mar 2010

Also, JC’s book is well worth the cost (you can buy direct and save a few $) but be careful with the trip times – many people find the WA times underestimate significantly (see John’s website : http://www.john.chapman.name/index.html

If you walk the South Coast, include a side trip to Precipitous Bluff – two days (or more) but well worth the effort if the weather is good. See JC's book and http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9226 for info.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Region: Victoria

Postby Phil S » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 8:45 am

Regarding the Junction Creek crossing, I'm sure I've read somewhere that there is a fixed line across the creek downstream a bit from the wash station which can aid crossings in flood conditions. Can anyone confirm this and perhaps pin down its exact location for me?
Phil S
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sthughes » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm

I'll say it like this:

P5222364.JPG
Overland Track

versus
Western Arthurs February 2012 304.JPG
Western Arthurs
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weetbix456 » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 4:44 pm

hahaha perfect comparison!!
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby pazzar » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 9:21 pm

Phil S wrote:Regarding the Junction Creek crossing, I'm sure I've read somewhere that there is a fixed line across the creek downstream a bit from the wash station which can aid crossings in flood conditions. Can anyone confirm this and perhaps pin down its exact location for me?

I'm not aware of one on Junction Creek, but I'm sure there are logs that could be used somewhere, although with the recent fires they may not be reliable. I put up a fixed line on Seven Mile Creek in 2011, but I'm not sure if it is still there. It was unsafe to retrieve it in the conditions we crossed in.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 9:26 pm

I searched for this line 3 years ago but didn't find it. I also read somewhere it no longer existed. I crossed regardless in borderline conditions. The teatree growing in the creek provided some assistance. I would not recommend the WArthurs as a solo trip if the OLT is all you have done as others have advised.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mowser » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 9:54 pm

I recall seeing a fixed line at junction in the late 90s but on recent trips over the last few years have never seen one. It was slightly downstream like you say but pretty sure it's gone now. In regards to the hike itself, take into account that the photos above of OLT vs WA - This is a fairly standard section of the arthurs. Having guided for years on the overland and having spent a hell of a lot of time in the south west, you can't really compare the two in terms of difficulty. They are completely different. You have to be prepared for extremely bad weather at all times of year and i'll tell you that if you're on High Moor or anywhere along the central range in a snow storm (and i've been in them up there in the middle of summer) it can be very daunting even for an experienced walker. We spent 2 weeks in the WA and EA ranges 3 summers ago and had 1 dry day. IF you haven't spent any time in the south west, gradually build up to something like the arthurs. Mt Anne is a great spot to start as well as the heaps of day walks that exist. Flying in to melaleuca like you said is also a good option The walk down to Wilson Bight is fantastic for a 3 night return jaunt in early summer (or the circuit if you're a bit more adventurous).
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Phil S » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 12:14 am

Thanks for the replies. For the record, I'm not the poster of the original enquiry. I will be attempting a full traverse of the WA next week with 3 companions. Lots of Tassie and greater range experience between us. Tonight, on the eve of leaving Sydney I'm feeling somewhat anxious but we've got good gear and a realistic attitude and there's nothing but to see what the weather gods throw at us.
This is one of the best parts of a big trip - the trepidation one feels before setting off.
Phil S
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Phil S » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 12:16 am

Spare us a thought sometime next week when you've respectively got a moment free. I'll let y'all know how it went.
Phil S
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby durks » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 1:23 am

Phil S wrote:Regarding the Junction Creek crossing, I'm sure I've read somewhere that there is a fixed line across the creek downstream a bit from the wash station which can aid crossings in flood conditions. Can anyone confirm this and perhaps pin down its exact location for me?

There *used* to be one, but it had gone by 2006. (I did find some *remnants* of the crossing point that year when I went for a look.)

Of course, it *could* have been replaced since - but I would suggest you assume it no longer exists.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 1:58 am

Usual tassie crossing applies, man the *&%$#! up, theres no bridge.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 5:50 am

Yeah, wow, good advice till the last. Perhaps it was just a 2am thing- intended for the groupies.. Iv'e crossed junction Creek 6 times, relatively few and never in full flood. I'd say it could be the single most dangerous move on that traverse.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 6:14 am

Nuts wrote:Yeah, wow, good advice till the last. Perhaps it was just a 2am thing- intended for the groupies.. Iv'e crossed junction Creek 6 times, relatively few and never in full flood. I'd say it could be the single most dangerous move on that traverse.

Groupies?? Lol, nah it's for my 550am groupies... thats you bro :p

Bring back the edit button and I MIGHT just change it... :P

I stand by the last comment as good advice.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scottyk » Sat 27 Jul, 2013 6:58 am

durks wrote:

There *used* to be one, but it had gone by 2006. (I did find some *remnants* of the crossing point that year when I went for a look.)

Of course, it *could* have been replaced since - but I would suggest you assume it no longer exists.

There is one up stream of the timber steps (about 20 meters), or there was when I was there last month. We didn't use it as the creek was low enough to cross anywhere.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby LoaferBread » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:04 pm

Phil S wrote:Spare us a thought sometime next week when you've respectively got a moment free. I'll let y'all know how it went.

4 years late to this conversation...how did you go with the walk?
LoaferBread
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania