The Abels Volume 1 Reprint going to happen

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: The Abels Volume 1 Reprint going to happen

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 9:36 pm

Doonish wrote:Interestingly, the little supplemental book is still in print - we have a couple of copies at Fullers.

In Hobart ? I asked at Petrach's and Volume 2 in launceston and they couldn't find it ! Do you do post orders ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mountain Rocket » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 9:07 am

Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Doonish » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 8:42 pm

In Hobart ? I asked at Petrach's and Volume 2 in launceston and they couldn't find it ! Do you do post orders ?

Sorry for the slow reply Casual, too many things on the to-do list. Yep, we're only in Hobart these days, and last time I looked we had copies on the shelf (if difficult to see because of the staple binding). Happy to organise something for you if you're after a copy, can post it out.
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 26 May, 2016 9:07 pm

Bill wrote:Dear Facebook friends, I am about to go to the prepress stage and final review of The Abels Volume 1 second edition. The original edition has morphed from 118 pages to 352 pages which over the last two months has been rather intense! The second edition is rather larger in physical size, so that the images are much larger and the print font increased so that it is clearer as well. Every image is new, as well as extensive rewrites. The new book also contains the updated Abel Tables. Please note, that I will be producing a one off limited release of 200 hard covers which will be signed and numbered as part of the new edition. There will be no more hard covers once the 200 are sold. The retail price for these will be $69.95 and the soft covers $39.95. Already many hard covers have been reserved, so if you would like one please let me know. Thank you to everyone of you that have made this fabulous book happen. Kindest regards, as always, Bill.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.wilkinson ... 6728261360?

Getting closer!!
Mountain Rocket

Postby bushwalker zane » Thu 26 May, 2016 9:20 pm

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 2:13 pm

I have just received a message from Bill Wilkinson this afternoon that The Abels V1 2nd Edition will be ready for delivery within the next month. Exciting!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 2:58 pm

It's been a long wait. Although some of us have already had extensive previews . . . *extra-smug smirk*
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Snowzone » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 7:28 am

north-north-west wrote:It's been a long wait. Although some of us have already had extensive previews . . . *extra-smug smirk*
Lucky you NNW!! I'm sure the wait will of been worth it and the updated version will be every bit as good as the first two Abels books.
Snowzone

Postby ofuros » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 12:17 pm

Early November, can't come early enough. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 6:15 pm

Interesting situation here.
A large number of peaks and access routes covered by the Abels are simply outside the realm of the average weekend bushwalker and so the information provided on these areas is really only of value to a relatively small number of people. But there are also a fair few that could fall into the moderate to easy category. Is the information provided making it too easy for anyone who lays a hand on these books to access places they otherwise wouldn't and in turn increasing the need for more walking infrastructure in the bush ?
If somebody proposed a new boardwalk into Lake Geeves for instance isn't that fundamentally doing the same thing as a copy of the Abels in making it easier to get there?
Every man and his dog will celebrate an update of the Abels but a large number of the same will howl down a new boardwalk development !

I am a HUGE FAN of Bill Wilkinson's books and not such a fan of any sort of bushwalking infrasturucture. Just throwing up a discussion point here. Where is the line in the sand ( or mud ) ??
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Snowzone » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:Interesting situation here.
A large number of peaks and access routes covered by the Abels are simply outside the realm of the average weekend bushwalker and so the information provided on these areas is really only of value to a relatively small number of people. But there are also a fair few that could fall into the moderate to easy category. Is the information provided making it too easy for anyone who lays a hand on these books to access places they otherwise wouldn't and in turn increasing the need for more walking infrastructure in the bush ?
If somebody proposed a new boardwalk into Lake Geeves for instance isn't that fundamentally doing the same thing as a copy of the Abels in making it easier to get there?
Every man and his dog will celebrate an update of the Abels but a large number of the same will howl down a new boardwalk development !

I am a HUGE FAN of Bill Wilkinson's books and not such a fan of any sort of bushwalking infrasturucture. Just throwing up a discussion point here. Where is the line in the sand ( or mud ) ??

I think The Abels books appeal to those that are already 'out there' anyway. Bottom line is you still have to have the dream, be equipped, do the research and actually have the ability to do the walk anyway and if that is the case your going to do it whether the Abels book is updated or not.
Snowzone

Postby NJKD » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 8:18 pm

Interesting situation here.

I think a copy should be sent to every Tasmanian man, woman & child so they can get out and experience it. Better to have a parking area with a public dunny, well-worn pad through the forest to a stunning summit view than a bulldozed, bitumen road to a platform lookout. :D
NJKD
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 7:13 am

The same dilemma applies to public online bushwalking discussion forums such as this one. It's something I struggled with a bit when the site first started up. (But some forum rules are designed to mitigate the issue a little.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby rohjoe » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 1:23 pm

The number of people walking in very remote off-track places will always be small, because (fortunately) only a small number of masochists turn their impulses into reality. I doubt that the book will change things much. I haven't sensed any growth in numbers over the last ten years. Case in point, I visited Crest Range over the weekend and didn't see a single other soul there. :wink:
Rohan
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm sure that folks like John Chapman, Bill Wilkinson and the people who contribute to their books ( and forums such as this ) do so through a love of the places they have visited over the years and they simply wish to share the experience. I get a bit of a chuckle happening though when I hear people singing praise of guide books and the next day slamming new infrastructure plans. It's just not possible to make places more accessible and hope they stay the same.
To use Lake Rohna as an example........Not the easiest of walks to find when there maybe a tree or two down or Forestry have closed a road in the area. But it's not too hard to find a book that will give you a pretty good description of how to get there and what to expect from the walk when you do. I wonder how many people going in there rely on the good old spirit of adventure and how many people read everything they can find before setting out ? It shouldn't come as a suprise that with growing numbers heading in there that there is an increased pressure for a dunny.
As the information provided to people and they gear they use continues to improve it's a no brainer that eventually more people are going to be enticed into the bush and I struggle to see how that can be controlled.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:10 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:...I wonder how many people going in there rely on the good old spirit of adventure and how many people read everything they can find before setting out ? It shouldn't come as a suprise that with growing numbers heading in there that there is an increased pressure for a dunny. ...

I've always felt that it would be better for those that are heading out anyway to have the best information they can find, in the interests of their own safety. For those of us who aren't part of a walking club etc, the internet is the main source of information.

Also, very keen to complete the set of Abels books !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 12:28 am

Yeah it's not only a safety issue, but a conservation issue as well. Why has the Tarkine been mined so much despite being prestine rainforest ? Coz not enough people knew about it and fought for it. Worldwide it's how you get national parks: when people realize something is in jeopardy and in desperate need of protection. If no one knows about it in the first place but greedy industry people, it's doomed. That's why I've always thought that Chapman's policy of "I'm not gonna publish about walks in the Tarkine" to prevent damage by tourists was completely wrong. If an area is so sensitive tracks shouldn't be built on it, then designate it a wilderness area like in the US, where you can't build tracks, and only offtrack walking/camping is allowed. That way not many people go there, no damage being done. Other areas can effectively be locked up if no tracks is built for access. There's an area like that near the Lauvitel in the Alps. The cliffs are so high you simply can't access it, so the government left it as is, in order to be studied by scientists as an unspoiled state. Australia has that in Mungo national park too, although it's to protect archeological artefacts.

To come back to the Abels, where will it be sold ? Any preorder taken ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby pazzar » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:08 am

Hallu wrote: To come back to the Abels, where will it be sold ? Any preorder taken ?

Mountain Creek will be selling them, and I would assume a few other places (Tasmanian Map Centre, Fullers, etc) will have it. Can't wait!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:37 am

The bookworm board of wilderness management!
+1 Al, the counter arguments are open at the ends & make little sense.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby farefam » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 7:01 pm

I doubt The Abels has anything much to do with the Lake Rhona situation. The opening of the Richea Creek shortcut track by Parks and Wildlife is what has led to significantly higher visitation. If that track was closed and you had to do it the old way as 2 days walk each way from Adamsfield I'm pretty sure visitation numbers would drop significantly.
Since both volumes of The Abels were published, I still rarely run across anyone when I am out in the less known spots in the state. Saw no one in 8 days in the King William Range as an example (hardly a remote spot). Ditto the Spires. Only 1 person on the Southern Ranges (hi Icefest!) on my way to Precipitous Bluff. No one in the Prince of Wales Range. No one in the eastern part of the Frenchmans Cap massif. No one in the Frankland Range on any of my 3 visits. Even only 1 person on the way to Federation Peak. No one at Mt Bobs in 4 days. No one on Schnells Ridge. Saw no one on the Tyndalls, Mt Murchison or Mt Jukes. Only met 1 person on the way to Lake Ewart.
I tend to agree that the main audience for the Abels books is people who are already visiting those areas anyway. For myself the books are of interest as a collectable reference book (coffee table book) rather than as any sort of a guide book.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 7:23 pm

Nuts wrote: Al, the counter arguments are open at the ends & make little sense.

They aren't "arguments" and I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here. Just simply discussion points.
In an attempt to clarify what I have already said I personally believe it would be naive to imagine that any information
published in guide books is intend only for people who are already involved in bushwalking. Wouldn't it be fair to assume that the more information there is available and the more detailed it is the more likelyhood of larger numbers of people becoming interested in bushwalking ? Sure, the numbers may not be huge but in a lot of areas not too many are needed before 'people pressure' starts to have an effect.
So........what I'm trying to get at is this. If you are happy to embrace the continual updating of detailed information on walks of all levels should you not also be willing to embrace continued expansion of huts, boardwalks, dunnies etc in the bush?
I find this to be a real dilemma because I am a constant user of guide books etc but I also hate to see bigger huts, longer boardwalks and more people in places I don't expect them to be.
And I hope I have made it clear that I am in no way having a crack at people who put guidebooks together. I have a healthy respect for the amount of work that these people are putting in to do so. Just interested to hear how others may feel about my own perceived conflict of interests ?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 10:43 pm

Mechanic-AL wrote:As the information provided to people and they gear they use continues to improve it's a no brainer that eventually more people are going to be enticed into the bush and I struggle to see how that can be controlled.

Most of the arguments have been raised many times over the years and many detailed in documents like the World Heritage Walking Track Strategy (both the original version and the 2011-2020 version). They are both great reads, if not to just compare how things change over 17 years.

Original version - http://www.wyatt-family.com/wyatt/wp-co ... -1994-.pdf

Check out page 82, section 9.12 on Publicity and routeguides

2011 version - http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/Walk ... 1-2020.pdf
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:22 am

"In an age when walkers can download route GPS data on their mobile phones,
an agency like the PWS has very little control over the content or quality of
information that is disseminated about walking tracks, routes and wild areas
generally.

There are however measures that PWS can take to discourage
inappropriate publicity (such as publicity of routes in sensitive trackless areas).
As well as continuing to liaise with Tasmap to ensure that T4 tracks and routes
are excluded from maps, it is recommended that the agency:

*Liaise with guidebook authors to discourage the inclusion of T4 tracks
and routes in guidebooks

*Liaise with walking groups, including online chat groups, to encourage
discretion in publicising sensitive and trackless areas."
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:46 am

Essentially, all the Abels books do is tell people the peaks are there. Where tracks exist, they are mentioned, where well-known they are sometimes explained in greater detail. Off-track destinations do not have detailed instructions on routes - at best starting points or departure points from tracks will be mentioned. They are not a guide for the inexperienced to get out and get lost.

Bill does take the question of responsibility for overuse of areas and/or misuse of information very seriously.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby gayet » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:59 am

The beauty of the Abels books is that they give you a very different view to most "guide" books. The way in to the peak is basic, as nnw noted, giving start points and general directions only. It gives adequate warnings of the difficulty and advice on access problems at the time. The descriptions of the flora and geology passed on the way is interesting, the geographic points of interest from the top give the armchair reader a good image of what could be seen if they made the effort.

I am not capable of climbing all the Abels, could probably manage a few but I can admit to gaining a lot of enjoyment just from reading about those I know I will never experience for myself.
gayet

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for posting those reports Tastrax. They are certainly comprehensive and interesting reading. It is reassuring to know that somebody is keeping an eye on things in such detail.

I guess I should have started this as a separate topic. I take the point made by NNW and others that the Abels is essentially not a guidebook. From reading parts of Tastrax's reports I understand that the issue I have is far more complex than simply the publishing of new walking info. I guess in this day and age everybody has the technology to access information on just about anything right there in their hip pocket and the supply of detailed information regarding bushwalks in sensitive areas will surely continue to grow. I suppose whatever technology you embrace or research methods you use it all still comes down to putting one foot in front of another. And hopefully that is ONE thing that will never change.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 4:43 pm

I don't see a distinction between guide book contents in the plan? I mean we can all make *&%$#! up to suit?

Fade to happy bliss on the less appealing/more daunting, such as the fact that those very same track classifications are supposed to set our boundaries for infrastructure and commercial project incursions as well..

And where is the respect for (those and) the effort that has gone into trying to hold back the tide, formulate and uphold sustainable policy?
What choices do we leave them? Come out with a more detailed guidebook? A club hacks in a walking track, build one parallel in the hope it will be used? :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:05 pm

Wow......you sound even more cynical than I am Nuts!
Haven't been getting enough time in the bush eh ??
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:30 pm

You are correct gayet an north-north-west, they are exactly the conditions we asked of Bill when he produced the first Abels book way back when. I was one of the people that spoke to Bill when we were advised about the original publication. PWS specifically did not want detailed track notes and lines on maps to the more obscure untracked peaks (which is in accordance with the original track strategy publication guidelines). I just hope the same level of concern has been applied to the reprint and that consultation has occurred with the land managers and the same track classification requirements have been applied.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:38 pm

Haha, no!(Al) Ive just had 70 nights under nylon, in bush.
None of it was in Tassie, nothing so precious.

I do own, like and have done some walks from the first edition as well.
Last edited by Nuts on Fri 21 Oct, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania