Tarkine

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: tarkine?

Postby photohiker » Thu 03 Mar, 2016 10:40 am

Closing coastal tracks until all users are able to modify their behaviour to protect heritage is a good idea.

If the users are not able to behave, then the tracks should stay closed in perpetuity.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 03 Mar, 2016 7:30 pm

Heritage may be protected for a time, just as likely to promote spite and support ignorance meanwhile.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Thu 03 Mar, 2016 10:30 pm

Teaching the teachable delivers results. Failing to teach delivers failure.

My hyothetical solution is to leave the tracks closed and deliver education across the public especially those interested in visiting the areas, and then monitor the damage while progressively re-opening some tracks. The visitors need to accept responsibility and due care, knowing that ongoing damage will close the tracks again.

So your alternative solution is?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 04 Mar, 2016 11:21 am

Without wanting to 'choose sides' (ie. as a whitey with little more than a couple of local connections), and more in support of localism, complete deference to the desires of the local indigenous population- of course. You can hear the care in Di's tone and ease when she starts to talk of her country (eg. towards the end in that podcast), who better to manage indigenous concerns than the 1500 indigenous locals? :?

Perhaps a short continued closure is necessary in planning.. then maybe opening (under the current spotlight) will/should cause action, projects, funding and movement to actually happen? If some compromise is necessary in the number of protected sites, i'm sure it's best determined by those present? Have local rangers/guides/caretakers rather than chosen from outside (ie. 'us' others demonstrating our care through tokenism & ultimately choosing those not really having a desire to be down there).

That's part of an alternate 2 shillings worth anyway. Bolstering federal motherhood is (again) unnecessary. Access has been allowed for generations, the rush should be to support help & community, not outrage, supporting each newfound crusade.

And, aside, treat those of 'our' mob causing willful damage with the normal weight of law apportioned to their role. Do it, rather than have them dictate proceedings.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Fri 04 Mar, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm not convinced about 4wd access being a multigenerational pass time. 4wd vehicles only became available after the second world war, and it wasn't until (I'd guess) late '60s/early 70s that they became affordable. 50 years(ish) of recreational 4wding. I'm calling *&^%$#! on 4wding heritage. Invalid argument.
Can we not admit that we have destroyed much of the tens of thousands of years of indigenous heritage in two hundred years since settlement, and maybe protect a little bit that's left? It's really not a big ask, anyone can visit the area still. Just not in a vehicle.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 10:33 am

I don't think it's so much a 4wd heritage,as a fishing, camping, shackbuilding heritage, which followed on from the cattle breeding and droving

down the sand track, to keep hungry miners in meat.

Many people love to get away by whatever means, so the 4wd's were a means to an end as were horses.

The last 20 years have seen may more 4wd's used as access but with that came an element of ratbags who just wanted to find the biggest mudhole or the biggest sand dune and play.

The coming of quad bikes has caused more problems with many kids out playing where they shouldn't be.

BUT,with a continual PWS presence, the management, education and policing of the area fell well short of what was required.

The lack of enforcement and penalties for wrongdoers has allowed problems to esculate where they should have been stamped out.

There is some room there for a compromise solution but lack of consultation is a problem, and is ongoing.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Nuts » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 6:54 pm

Iv'e always had a 4wd but have never gone 4wd'ing for it's sake, always to get somewhere for another purpose. Generations, to me, refers to existing damage, which has been done. I get the concern doogs, nobody wants to compromise when they are told to alter their actions, even WHA users & bushwalkers V wilderness heritage.

flyfisher wrote: There is some room there for a compromise solution but lack of consultation is a problem, and is ongoing.

FF

Ongoing and systemic, no heroics in compromise :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 3:23 pm

Nuts wrote:Iv'e always had a 4wd but have never gone 4wd'ing for it's sake, always to get somewhere for another purpose.

I would place myself in that same category nuts,and I love to walk as well. My 4w driving started with fishing remote spots as my goal.

That was back in 1971, and I still love the thrill of getting to those spots. I've never been one to drive through the deepest mud etc,

I prefer to stay on track but if it's rough, that's ok. It's just a means to an end. A few days at say Pillans or Julian can be quite comfy,

And given the limited leisure time we have I have never felt guilty about the friday evening trip to wherever in a vehicle.

I know a few folk just love to play in mud, but they can and do spoil it for the majority. That is the behaviour that has caused problems on

the west coast and other places. Education and enforcement should achieve results.

ff
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 May, 2016 12:29 pm

(I can imagine FF, unfortunately the fact that decent people exist, and yet others can be educated, it doesn't seem to fit the polemic/ is not envisaged as helpful, to opposing minorities)

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/new ... 3576003299
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 30 May, 2016 4:37 pm

The proposed showpiece project – a 100-kilometre Trans-Tarkine Track – is set to be presented by the Bob Brown Foundation to state and federal leaders as a hiking experience to rival the Overland Track. It is a project years in the making, and one they hope will kickstart the region and usher in a new future for the Tarkine, and finally put it officially on the map.

Oh yes PLEASE!!!

Just got back from that four day tour of the rainforest, which leaves you wanting more. 100km independent walk would be brilliant.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stepbystep » Mon 30 May, 2016 5:38 pm

Luke Martin's quote in that story is a disgrace. Tourism Tasmania's approach is a disgrace. The Trans-Tarkine trail is a fantastic venture born of the visionaries that created Tarkine Trails. How a tourism body can't lobby for a way of expanding their sector but actively lobby against just that reeks of corruption. Seeya later Luke...you'll be yet another yes-man, forgotten tomorrow. It's time to take the Tarkine off foreign mining companies and venture capitalists and give it back to Tasmanians.

Bushwalkers, check out what Tarkine Trails offer, it's off the scale fantastic. A far more authentic wilderness experience than you'll get on the Overland Track that's for sure!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 May, 2016 7:59 pm

north-north-west wrote:Just got back from that four day tour of the rainforest, which leaves you wanting more. 100km independent walk would be brilliant.

why not just walk a bit further?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 31 May, 2016 9:50 am

stepbystep wrote:
Bushwalkers, check out what Tarkine Trails offer, it's off the scale fantastic. A far more authentic wilderness experience than you'll get on the Overland Track that's for sure!

Is there a 6 day walk for the poor people like the OLT offers? $1900 guided tour would be great Im sure but not for everyone.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 May, 2016 12:43 pm

http://tarkinetrails.com.au/walks/

I'm not familiar with the new operators nor opinion but i'd imagine they'd help you with the route advice if you want to use their track independently?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Tue 31 May, 2016 12:46 pm

If the Trans Tarkine trail gets up there will be two 5 day walks or a 10 day option. Otherwise check out the Tarkine Trails book for other options currently available.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 31 May, 2016 1:04 pm

stepbystep wrote:If the Trans Tarkine trail gets up there will be two 5 day walks or a 10 day option. Otherwise check out the Tarkine Trails book for other options currently available.

Thanks, I think Ill buy the book.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Tue 31 May, 2016 1:13 pm

It's a very nice book, well worth the money.

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 May, 2016 2:20 pm

I agree.

So..

'the vast, untracked Tarkine wilderness'

I'm not the only one to see the irony.

Not much time for TICT, not necessarily any 'anger', they are what they are, just largely irrelevant to small players and (as a consequence of their weight of support) sometimes detrimental. I'd probably be more flippant with disdain as a hobbyist.

So I see the association of thoughts in that article, they cover a lot of ground. There's definitely no mandate to impede tourism business! But then the place Is firmly 'on the map', literally and figuratively! Ahh, point each I guess?

Was there a exploration licence in place? Does it matter?
Full support for the operators and their sentiment just a need to be clear.

Stepping back, displaced or discarded domestic tourists aside, it seems the immediate demand is to accommodate car travellers, masses if tourism is to be a useful friend of conservation in this way. Cradle and Freycinet, the entrance hubs and short walks are probably overburdened in peak times, very few are actually 'turned away' from o/n walking tracks, on a scale worth a mention? Those that are, it could be seen that projects such as 3C are part of an acceptable planned approach? Not a big part (in anything but budget), getting real, remote walks are of little consequence to big industry, the opportunity for exclusive accommodation or operations Is. It will be no different in the envisaged Tarkine park, especially if the same slack boundaries apply to EOI.

So hack a track, build buildings.. proponents of a lesser evil! (lol)

"The government needs to get off its delusional horse.”
(lol) Perhaps, but what reality we are building?

Wilderness (wherever it is) is complete, I see merely different proponents of altered states?
Tracks, Huts, 'Eco'-resorts, so long as we get our way and can find peer support we're righteous, right?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 2:38 pm

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasma ... d3559a2488

That's right! 15mths it was!
Maybe resource security obligations trump EPA deadlines?

(just catching up, I know for some of us nothing is new news)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 5:01 pm

I'd appreciate if the name of this topic be changed to 'takayna - Tarkine' and the question mark removed.

There is no question that the naming of the region has it's roots in antiquity and the only people that question it's validity have a narrow view of the land and what it's value is. Even the Tasmanian government, tourism industry and west coast councils recognise these names on official maps, interpretation and signage.

It's a very simple mark of respect. Thanks in advance.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 5:42 pm

I can't change the tiltle?

And, aside from calming your good self I see no need?

The intention of the topic was to see if anyone wanted to continue the 'discussion' (abt this place we have come to know as the tarkine), hence the question mark.

I was mainly thinking of trying to get further than the news (perhaps I should have said). I'd rather try to understand the opposition to reserving such valuable country, other than as opposition to 'greenies', can't do much if the news grabs are weighted to proponents and often (but not mostly or exclusively) cherry picking the truth. Pretty pics and good times are fine in my topic, tolerable.

I can ask around (up here), see if anyone is offended? (I'm sure they'd be happy with tarks, but that's them and I shouldn't assume).

Anyhow, yep, whatever, change it?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 9:43 pm

Pretty sure the OP just needs to msg the admin...

*we see what we want see
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 9:55 pm

Time for something beautiful. The Tarkine mountains
Attachments
takayna.jpg
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 10:41 pm

I would see such a change as patronising, and done merely on your behalf (though don't doubt for a minute there are others with a similar dilemma).

Ask them yourself (thank me later).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 9:59 am

Now we're talkin' about walkin' :) there will be more in the news tonight. Officially launches in Hobart this morning.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... pbgi1.html
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 10:43 am

stepbystep wrote:Now we're talkin' about walkin' :) there will be more in the news tonight. Officially launches in Hobart this morning.

Excellent. It's about time that there is a multiday walking track in the NW. There's plenty of talk about the area being the 'largest temperate rainforest' or 'having significant aboriginal history' etc. However, there has never been this type of infrastructure (if that's what you call a track) to attract the infra/interstate and overseas tourists to enjoy these values of the area. It'll bring in $$ to the region and create some more sustainable jobs :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 2:43 pm

Talking politics and faith? Dismal.

At least the compromise is acknowledged, including compromised integrity. Good grief, has the standing government paid Bob to facilitate their new imagining?

Buildings too doogs, there's buildings, new roads, resorts and exclusivity.
I See greenish brown castles, conservationists as peasant farmers.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 9:01 pm

No idea what you are talking about nuts(buildings/roads/resorts) WT *$&#?, as usual you see what you want to see...weird...

Perhaps you'd prefer the non-profitable and utterly destructive extraction industries destroy what is left of this wonderful place?
What is your agenda? Please don't say it's conservation as you really don't have a crooked leg to stand on if you understand the threats that this place faces.....

Bob is trying to save this place, he has been walking there since the year of my birth, 1973, knows it as a true wilderness, pre-road to nowhere. His credibility is unquestioned, because he knows about compromise, when and how. Your last post shows your true colours.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 9:23 pm

In today's Advocate I read that $20 million would be required for the infrastructure that would need a mix of public and private funding .
To me that reads as "private huts" public toilets and extra or "better" road access ?
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 10:56 pm

corvus wrote:In today's Advocate I read that $20 million would be required for the infrastructure that would need a mix of public and private funding .
To me that reads as "private huts" public toilets and extra or "better" road access ?

It's very clear in the proposal the budget covers trackwork and the construction of tent platforms and toilets at ten sites. Best to not make assumptions...remember this is over 100km of track, the longest in Tasmania, 2 x 5 day walks or 1 x 10 day walk. Do you really think 20m would also build 10 huts? C'mon...

Edit: road access to the track head would need a bit of improvement, no new roads at all.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania