Frenchmans Cap in winter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Frenchmans Cap in winter

Postby Captain Cool » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 7:13 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if many of you have been to Frenchmans Cap in winter before, and whether it can easily become impassable with heavy snowfalls? I did the hike out there and back in 2 days (+ summited) in October 2013, such a beautiful place and one I've been waiting to get back to ever since. Unfortunately the cap was blanketed in cloud the morning we summited so I have an underlying urge to get back there and right that wrong! There was some snow there in October and I realise it could happen all year round, but is the cap usually covered in deep snow right through the winter months? Is the track to Tahune usually passable and reasonably safe if there has been recent snowfalls?

Thanks
Captain Cool
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Frenchmans Cap in winter

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 8:56 am

There's a story I read at Tahune which may still be floating around inside the hut on the tables, or on the hut wall.

Two guys went there in August sometime in the 1970s. They battled poor conditions to get to Tahune. They woke to some 2.5m of snow, preventing them from opening the hut door.

They were stuck in the hut for approximately 2 weeks before they could get out and managed to ration their food enough to survive. I assume they collected snow from the windows so they had enough water to drink.

I'd say you need to be prepared for anything !
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby stepbystep » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 1:06 pm

The other thing to be aware of is heavy, sustained rain. I went in 2 winters ago and had to turn back at the Loddon River. It was in serious flood and had burst it's banks.
Fine walking in but perhaps a problem if trying to get out.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby pazzar » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 2:23 pm

I've been up in winter, and while we didn't have deep snow, there was enough to make it interesting. The ascent was very icy and it took a lot longer than normal. We didn't get stuck at any rivers, but as SBS said, it can and does happen. You would definitely want to check the forecasts for clearer days and rainfall, and carry extra food just in case.

We also returned to find that the road was closed from Mt Arrowsmith due to snow. We got out of there slowly, and found cars abandoned on the road. It would pay to keep a set of chains in your car in case this happens.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scout » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 2:58 pm

In a few days we'll be attempting the 'Cap, what is the best forecast to look at on BOM? The closest forecasts to Derwent Bridge seem to be the Upper Derwent Valley and the Western District but we're just not sure what will be more accurate.
Scout
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 3:06 pm

Scout wrote:In a few days we'll be attempting the 'Cap, what is the best forecast to look at on BOM? The closest forecasts to Derwent Bridge seem to be the Upper Derwent Valley and the Western District but we're just not sure what will be more accurate.

I use the Lake St Clair forecast on BOM and this: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Frenchmans-Cap/forecasts/1444 You have the choice of 2 elevations.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby HighPlaces » Sun 26 Aug, 2018 11:19 am

Good luck! Let me know how you've gone! We're planning to head there soon. We'll take microcrampons but would snow shoes be any use (or is the track such that they wouldn't be helpful)?
HighPlaces
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby donktec » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 10:38 am

Hi, look forward to hearing about this trip, heard there were some road closures a few days ago.
Was up there in winter a about 6 years ago. Not a lot of snow, but the summit climb was really icy. Crampons (or micro spikes) were handy. Ice axes were also handy - mostly on the down climb for hooking into rocks to lower yourself down. Enjoy.
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby donktec » Sat 01 Sep, 2018 11:00 am

Hi,
Don't suggest taking snowshoes. Even with a lot of snow there are too few places they would be useful (imho)
Cheers
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby HighPlaces » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:32 pm

A terrific trip! Weren't able to summit due to unstable (starting to slide) snow and cornices - got to just below the saddle/North Col and decided it wasn't worth pursuing. But it didn't matter at all - absolutely blown away by the beauty of the journey (the forest and the views) and the Frenchmans area. Agree that snowshoes wouldn't have been useful. Used microspikes and poles on the summit attempt and an ice ax might have avoided some very heavy wear on the poles! Snow from mid-way between Vera and Tahune. Agree with the comments on other threads about the lovely hut at Tahune and the volume of the work on the track in the Loddens and around Vera - it doesn't quite all add up because in between is some very typical Tassie hard track - not sure what the ultimate plan will look like. We were lucky with a weather window but overall would highly recommend at this time of year if it works out.
HighPlaces
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania