Old Hydro access tracks

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Old Hydro access tracks

Postby The Caveman » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:29 pm

Just to add to a bit of difference, anyone target some of the disused Hydro tracks for a bit of a wander?

Some of the NW tracks around the Roseberry region cover some spectacular countryside, especially as you get closer to the powerstations near Queenstown.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby aprior » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:55 pm

Corey...I've done a few walks in and around the Lakes Barrington and Rowallen region using the old hydro tracks. Combined with a reliable map, Google Earth can provide a good overview of where the tracks are (if the resolution is good enough!!)

At the risk of getting off thread...can you walk in from the northern end of Four Springs?
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Caveman » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 7:07 pm

G'day Andrew,

no risk. Yes, I can. Even drive to the Nth end of the lake from here. :wink:

Lesser mortals can get close from the Frankford Hwy end and walk in through the Gunns access track before Birralee Rd intersection. About 4kms to the water, easy going. Just on an hour over fairly flat terrain.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 8:26 pm

In an earlier life, my neighbour spent some time cutting some tracks in the southwest. He used to have a map, but it's all faded and there is no info legible on it as to where they were.
He would love to visit them again. I've seen his slides and I can see why. I dare say I would tag along!
Does anyone out there have such info - a map or locations or something? If they don't want to share publicly, you can PM or email me...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Tasmania