free 25k digital topo maps

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: free 25k digital topo maps

Postby Lizzy » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:04 pm

I think if you have previously Downloaded maps you should be able to reinstall them via your account login in the app. I have previously put them on a phone and iPad.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Constance » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi mholling,

Thanks for this, it sounds amazing. Are they still available? I can't seem to see them in Avenza....
Constance
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Orion » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 9:08 am

Which is the better deal?

Gaia GPS app ($15AUD/year) / Gaia Topo map (free)

Avenza Maps app (free) / Federation 1:25000 TASMAP clone ($1.49AUD)
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 3:59 pm

Lizzy wrote:I think if you have previously Downloaded maps you should be able to reinstall them via your account login in the app. I have previously put them on a phone and iPad.

I just get "No maps found for this account" even when logged into the same account.

Orion wrote:Which is the better deal?

Definitely the first one, looks like a much more pleasant walk :lol:
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Carcass » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:26 am

I have been investigating with Avenza why I no longer have access to the free maps. Rebecca from Avenza has been very patient with me & has advised

"The map products you previously had do not exist anymore and have been permanently deleted by the vendor (NSWtopo). NSWtopo deleted the previously free map products and uploaded new map products at cost, to require people that use their map products to purchase them.
Since the previous map products were permanently deleted, we no longer have access to them. I apologize for the inconvenience, but this is out of my control and in the hands of the vendor."

Talk about a pain.
Carcass
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 3:47 pm

NSWTopo did release his map compiling software freely, I couldn't get it running but if someone would like to work it out, we would all appreciate the free maps ;)
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 8:16 pm

For an extra 33c per sheet you can support TasMap who generated the data.

It can also be worth using an older version of Avenza's PDF Maps app as it doesn't have the 3 non-Avenza purchased map limitation. See http://www.theultralighthiker.com/restore-pdf-maps-functionality/
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bernieq » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:11 pm

As rapscallion has mentioned in two previous posts in this thread (and in other threads), you could access all the LIST Tassie maps for free using Oruxmaps (Android app)

Maps are online or can be cached for offline use. For iOS, look for apps that can access WMS map servers.

BTW, andrewp has compiled .img files for most states (eg Tas from LIST data) which can also be used by Orux as well as Garmin GPS and Basecamp.

See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&p=313210#p313210

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 10:45 pm

Mark F wrote:For an extra 33c per sheet you can support TasMap who generated the data.

It can also be worth using an older version of Avenza's PDF Maps app as it doesn't have the 3 non-Avenza purchased map limitation. See http://www.theultralighthiker.com/restore-pdf-maps-functionality/

Which TasMaps are you using digitally ? The few I purchased as GeoTIFFs were certainly not of the same standard, or has something changed ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 12:27 pm

CasualNerd wrote:
Mark F wrote:For an extra 33c per sheet you can support TasMap who generated the data.

Which TasMaps are you using digitally ? The few I purchased as GeoTIFFs were certainly not of the same standard, or has something changed ?

I haven't used the 25k tasmaps on my phone yet but will when I come down in February. Previous couple of trips I have used the previously free geotiffs sourcd though Avenza. When looking at the Tasmap 25k tiffs at high magnification on my home computer they look fine.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 1:15 pm

Did I buy maps from Avenza unnecessarily? I tried to research this and found it frustrating. I don't really mind spending a little on maps but I hate the thought that I've been taken.

Am I a chump?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Carcass » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 1:41 pm

Orion wrote:Which is the better deal?

Gaia GPS app ($15AUD/year) / Gaia Topo map (free)

Avenza Maps app (free) / Federation 1:25000 TASMAP clone ($1.49AUD)

And here is the quality of the Tasmaps for federation peak. Many of the maps have much worse quality than the Avenza ones, which are sourced from NSW topo
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Carcass
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 2:59 pm

Mark F wrote:I haven't used the 25k tasmaps on my phone yet but will when I come down in February. Previous couple of trips I have used the previously free geotiffs sourcd though Avenza. When looking at the Tasmap 25k tiffs at high magnification on my home computer they look fine.

I think we might be talking about different things, are you talking about the digitally available maps from TasMap, or NSWTopo's previously free maps from the Avenza store ? NSWTopo's use TasMap data but look very different on screen.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 3:39 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I think we might be talking about different things, are you talking about the digitally available maps from TasMap, or NSWTopo's previously free maps from the Avenza store ? NSWTopo's use TasMap data but look very different on screen.

The tamaps can be seen here https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map
Zoom in and select Tasmap from the drop down menu on the top right of the screen
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 5:03 pm

This is what I was trying to say, the top map is one bought from tasmap's digital store and delivered as a .tiff, the second is the free avenza map as compiled by NSWTopo from tasmap digital sources. (both 4235/Gould) I find the nswtopo maps much easier to read on screen, I think it's actually multiple layers embedded as it displays finer details as you zoom in. The Tiff gets pixellated very quickly.

tasmap_tiff_sample.jpg

avenza_nswtopo_sample.jpg

I much preferred the NSWTopo / Avenza maps - I guess they were produced with the intention of being screen readable from the start though.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Carcass » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:13 am

Whats more is the Avenza map quality is consistent across the state however the Tasmaps quality differs depending what map they are taking the data from. The one noted above is actually not too bad compared to others.

Below is a screen shot of where 4 different maps meet
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (101.02 KiB) Viewed 29551 times
Carcass
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Orion » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 11:48 am

So I'm not a chump?

I naively believed I'd be able to get the best available maps on my phone for free. I thought I'd read about others doing that. But when I tried to figure out how I couldn't.

I'd prefer the maps to be free but I can live with paying something for the information. It used to be that maps were only paper and they cost something. The only thing is that paper maps last as long as the paper does, which is generally many years. But apps and the data that go with them can evaporate or become obsolete with OS upgrades in a relatively short period of time. Maybe by 2019 my Avenza purchases will be worthless.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 11:54 am

The Avenza sourced maps certainly seem better from the images posted above. I will buy a duplicate of a TasMap sourced map from Avenza and compare.

One of the reasons I went with TasMap is that I had not realised that Avenza now has a Windows version, previously only Android and Mac.

I am a bit concerned by the grid line displacement shown in carcass's post above.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 3:59 pm

To explain a few things here.

The tasmap tiff's are what you call a raster image. Its a bitmap, pixels etc, a digital image. They're scanned versions of the paper maps and will never zoom well.

The other maps are what we call vector based. Points, lines and polygons. You need to translate the data and render it into an image, rather than it already being stored in that format.

The data is pulled from the theList, when contains many layers of different GIS data. Some are raster based, others are vector based.
Have a look at the TasMap BaseMap Topographical layer.
NSWTopo has just extracted this layer, and rendered it for Avenza, the fonts, colours are different, but its the same data.

The data is freely available, with a bit of IT know how its possible for anyone to extract it from theList.

Also the Gridline displacement is GDA versus AGD66 datums.. not all the paper based TasMaps were converted to GDA.
Basically there are two different datums (Grid systems) an old one and a new one.. The differences is 112m east, 180m north. Which corresponds to what you can see in the image.

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/land-tasmania/ ... oordinates

There is a lot to learn about maps, GPS'es and GIS.
Azza

Postby Mark F » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Azza, I thought it was the GDA ADG issue by the degree of offset. I was under the impression that all the digital 1:25k sheets were GDA but apparently not when I go back into the TasMap site. Luckily all mine are GDA as it is always a pain when having to use a m ix on the one trip.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 10:52 am

Mark F wrote:Thanks Azza, I thought it was the GDA ADG issue by the degree of offset. I was under the impression that all the digital 1:25k sheets were GDA but apparently not when I go back into the TasMap site. Luckily all mine are GDA as it is always a pain when having to use a m ix on the one trip.

I have been totally led astray by that before.. On an off track walk we had an old school list of grid coordinates written down for a couple of important way points.
Not really know where they came from I plugged them into the GPS.
What wasn't apparently at the time was they were taken off the corresponding TasMaps, the set of maps were a random mixture of GDA94 and ADG66.
So it all made sense until we moved between maps and all of a sudden our waypoints where trying to send us off cliffs.
Normally wouldn't be following the GPS that closely but we had an injured walker and we're trying to get out our alternate escape route and make it as easy as possible for him.

But it just reinforces to me that becoming dependent on these technological devices is not a good thing.
If the battery, robustness and reliability issues were sorted out I'd probably start using a mobile devices for navigation. At the moment I stick to a garmin GPS with the Shonky 5m contour maps.
http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/
The main reasons are batteries last for close to a week and the device while crap, is waterproof and fairly reliable.
Any number of things can go wrong on your phone and drain your batteries in no time.

If I get a bit of spare time I might have a crack at pulling the maps off the list and see if I can get them working.
Azza

Postby Orion » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 12:01 pm

Azza wrote:At the moment I stick to a garmin GPS with the Shonky 5m contour maps.

Is that a typo? Did you mean 50m?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 11:05 am

Thought I'd wander up Projection Bluff today, but can't find the Quamby Bluff map on Avenza any longer... can anyone else find it ? https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/search.html

Edit: found it on the app
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 9:45 am

Orion wrote:
Azza wrote:At the moment I stick to a garmin GPS with the Shonky 5m contour maps.

Is that a typo? Did you mean 50m?

Not intentionally.
I went and look at ShonkyMaps again and they are 50m contours.
However I do have 5m contours on my garmin device.
Then I realised that I've loaded both Shonky and Contours Australia.
I haven't touched any of it for years.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10088

I had a look at NSWTopo's scripts, getting it up and running looks like it could be a challenge and I'm a software developer by trade.
I've started setting it up but not got back to it yet.
Azza

Postby Orion » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 10:07 am

I read somewhere that Shonky is based on 250k maps and has 50m contours except in Tasmania where they are 100m. But I couldn't verify it. I don't know what the underlying data resolution is but I'd be surprised if 5m were available. TASMAP is 10m which is essentially the same resolution as the best maps available here (in the U.S.). Even that sometimes fails to reveal a cliff. But for off-trail navigation 50m would be near useless in many circumstances... unless the idea is to only use the GPS to find where you are on your higher resolution paper map.

I've already spent the money on Avenza maps but I'm still interested to see what you can do for free -- assuming it's not so complicated that it cannot be explained here.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 11:22 am

Orion wrote:I read somewhere that Shonky is based on 250k maps

I think that is correct. And Shonky used the same base data as Tracks 4 Australia though T4A is more 4wd specific.
Shonky did some updates ... but is now an OSM contributor.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Azza » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:35 pm

So the 5m contours I believe are derived from LIDAR surveys.

https://ecat.ga.gov.au/geonetwork/srv/e ... a3070a5236

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10170
From above:
So now to the selection of Contours Australia and Open Street Map (OSM). Countor Australia is nothing more than a vector based representation of the terrain height from base line (sea level) derived from satellite radar mapping. Our thanks must go to the Government bodies that generously provided this data free and the people that converted it into a format that a humble domestic Garmin can use. But this data is useless without geographical and man made features represented on it.

I believe I got the garmin map img files from the GPS Australia:
http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... maps.4599/

It was a few years ago and they don't seem to be easily available now.
The LIDAR survey is going to have issues with vegetation height and I'm guessing it won't necessarily be as accurate as the TasMap 10m contours.

So combined with Shonky gives you a pretty good setup. The 5m contours aren't visible until you zoom in far enough.
You do have occasional funny business where the Shonky high contours cut across the 5m ones.
Azza

Postby Azza » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:48 pm

Found it.. for those that don't believe me.

http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.p ... garmin-gps
Azza

Postby Orion » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 3:45 pm

Cool. Now you have no excuse for bumbling onto a cliff.

I carried a homemade GPS + barometer for a week+ in the mountains in order to get better elevation map of particular route. I was wishing that I had access to LIDAR data, which likely exists for that region for other purposes. Someday in the future everything will be mapped to the nearest cm.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Tasmania