free 25k digital topo maps

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: free 25k digital topo maps

Postby Azza » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:50 pm

Mark F wrote:mholling - you may want to be careful about charging as you could run foul of the usage license from lpi. They may turn a blind eye to free but profiting (even just a teeny bit) may incur their wrath.

Same goes for the Tasmap's.

https://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/app/cont ... be27ef2e5f

Free for personal use is one thing, taking the entire set and redistributing it through a 3rd party commercial website.
I'd probably want permission from the copyright holder even if your not charging.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby mholling » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 5:01 pm

Mark F wrote:mholling - you may want to be careful about charging as you could run foul of the usage license from lpi.

Yes, I considered the licensing issues carefully. The Tasmanian LIST servers are all creative commons attribution, and hence any use (including commercial) is explicitly allowed. And the NSW LPI web map servers are also creative commons attribution, though it's a little less clear in that case.

To keep it on topic for this forum. I note that 4032 Lodden and 4031 Vera show the new routing for the Frenchman's Cap track. Looks very sensible!
mholling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 5:08 pm

Mholling: I think many of us will most welcome a NSW set from you. It's fantastic the options we have now compared to a few years ago. Thank you!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 7:59 am

The Tassie cc-attribution license allows for reselling of the data.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 28 Jul, 2015 7:33 pm

This is one of the best things I've ever found online ! Great work on making these maps available.

Is there any freeware available to edit maps on windows/desktop ? I don't mind getting a little technical but I'm not a programmer either. I would love to be able to make custom / printable maps of individual walks or mountain bike trails in Tassie !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Wed 29 Jul, 2015 7:39 pm

Great resource - I have downloaded them on my iPhone all they are working fine.

Can anyone provide instructions on how I can download them onto my windows computer? I have been to the PDF store and ordered the maps but can't seem to download them?

Any help is appreciated.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 30 Jul, 2015 1:41 pm

philm wrote:Great resource - I have downloaded them on my iPhone all they are working fine.

Can anyone provide instructions on how I can download them onto my windows computer? I have been to the PDF store and ordered the maps but can't seem to download them?

Any help is appreciated.

As far as I can tell this only orders them to download to your phone.

I've been combing through a lot of mapping software to find a way to utilise the same base maps on windows, but there's a lot of mapping specific terminology to work out, and all the software I can find so far is either very expensive or very limited.

You can open maps from TheList on Google Earth or ArcGIS online, but for me this only loads very specific sections, and the layers don't always load or randomly disappear.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 30 Jul, 2015 2:11 pm

On Tasmap, is there a summary PDF that shows the name of the various map tiles across the state? I found the following web link but one has to individually click the tiles to work out the surrounding map area names.
https://www.tasmap.tas.gov.au/do/category/25000DIG
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mholling » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:40 am

GPSGuided wrote:On Tasmap, is there a summary PDF that shows the name of the various map tiles across the state?

This PDF has the map index for the TASMAP sheets: https://www.tasmap.tas.gov.au/upload/static/content/TopoIndex.pdf

philm wrote:Can anyone provide instructions on how I can download them onto my windows computer? I have been to the PDF store and ordered the maps but can't seem to download them?

The Avenza PDF Maps store is just for maps to download onto the mobile app. There's not a readily-available way to extract the files from the app; by design, I presume. (I mean, I have all the files as plain geotiffs, but the app provides a nice easy distribution mechanism straight to the device.)
mholling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Mholling. Just what I was looking for.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gibbo82 » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 7:51 pm

This has been the absolute best option I've found when using my Phone for gps/camera. Can the maps be merged ?? Can all the maps be merged into one BIG map. I like to record my walk using this app (as a safety measure) but its only a matter of time until my walk goes from one map to the next. What happens when this occurs?? Thanks for your sharing and no doubt lot of work to make this possible
gibbo82
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mholling » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 3:23 pm

gibbo82 wrote:Can the maps be merged ?? Can all the maps be merged into one BIG map. I like to record my walk using this app (as a safety measure) but its only a matter of time until my walk goes from one map to the next. What happens when this occurs??

Nope, the Avenza app can only show one map at a time, there is no "seamless" feature for adjacent maps. The TAS maps have a 1km overlap though, and when you near the edge of one map there is a button to switch to adjacent maps if they are installed. So just make sure you have downloaded all the maps for your walk beforehand.
mholling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gibbo82 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:49 pm

Has anyone discovered if the gps recording will continue on the next map?? And thanks
gibbo82
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby technogeekery » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 5:24 pm

Just discovered Avenza pdf maps - using them on my cheap Android phone for short bushwalks in NSW - brilliant! Much better than my clunky GPS (a Zumo 550 that is fine for my motorcycle but not much use for walking) - great display, good accuracy, easy to lay down tracks, easy to navigate & use the touch interface - I love it. Very easy to manipulate PDF files, can also print to various scales and extracts so that you have paper backup. I think this really makes standalone GPS redundant for my purposes if I ruggedise my phone and take a battery bank backup for power.

I see that the OP has loaded up his versions of the 1:25k NSW maps to Avenza, where they can be bought for $1.29. Apparently they are essentially the same as the official LPI versions, and considerably cheaper. Nice work.
technogeekery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dazintaz » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 5:48 am

Thank you!!!! Absolutely brilliant.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 9:56 am

gibbo82 wrote:Has anyone discovered if the gps recording will continue on the next map?? And thanks

I use google tracks for recording, and while playing around with the Mobile Atlas Creator I noticed you can import and overlay kml files. So you could always record on tracks and import / overlay your track on these maps afterwards.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rapscallion » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 9:35 pm

Just to capitalize on this post - any mapping app that can link into a WMS source can view LIST map data (topo / photo / old scanned maps).

I've slowly collated some info on it here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17091

If you want to download the entire dataset so you can use the maps offline, you can use the MobAC software (Mobile Atlas Creator) to batch download all the images into a wide range of formats (gps, iPhone apps, android apps, etc)

You can also view LISTmap data overlaid in Google Earth (details on this are in the link, too).

No charge, and very versatile!
Rapscallion
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby waif » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 9:30 am

Used these recently for some off track walking in Tassy. Worked amazingly well just off my phone in flight mode - GPS interaction with the PDF Maps app on android was quite incredibly accurate. Thanks very much, only qualm is that the vegetation colouring isn't as informative as some of the Tasmap's, for instance 'open area' sometimes turned out to be head high scrub. There wasn't any way to tell what sort of understory we may encounter. I suppose aerial GIS data for that can only be improved with a lot of correlation and fieldwork.

Nonetheless very grateful. Cheers.
waif
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby waterfallman » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi all.. I posted this reply on the other "LISTMap & Android thread by mistake.
so re-posting it here..
I downloaded the PDFMaps app to my Samsung Galaxy S6 and got couple of freebie maps of the Tas NW and SW areas. Then I got the other two, Tas NE & SE by purchase. Only about 6 bucks and they all look good on my phone and are very colourful and useful. Heck, I even discovered a waterfall with them that I hadn't logged using the LISTmap! Amazing. So all good stuff there.
But.. I discovered another thing to be careful with.
I then went back to LISTmap on the Laptop, and used it to make a pfd of the Meander Falls area, from Lake Huntsman, down to the Tiers cliffs. The scanned WMS info looks good. Then I connected my phone, to the Laptop, and copied the pdf across into the PDFMaps directory that the PDFMaps App automatically created. When I fired up the App, my new pdf was available in the list there. It looked very good as I viewed it and I thought, wow, I can do hundreds of these pdfs, chuck em on the phone, and bob's your uncle! Yes, true, you can do that, but I also discovered that each new pdf you bring up to view into the App is then formatted and tiled to suit the App and it results in 72 separate and distinct tiles being created! That's for each pdf you put in! Now, at only 25.3k per tile, that's about 1.8Mb per pdf. Ok, not too bad if you have 128Gb memory on the phone. A 21 pdf/map coverage of Tassie at the low res from LISTmap, would only be 38mb.. but the kick in the backside is.. that from then on, every time you open up Gallery to look at photos, you will see every single tile, from those 21 pdf maps shown there as a separate pic!! That's 1500 or so tile pics that just go on and on forever, as you try vainly to flick through them with your finger! Groan.
It becomes a useability hog of vast proportions. So.. think twice before you put pdfs on your phone and view them in PDFMap!
It's all great stuff, but the other drawbacks can be very onerous! Ok if you only use PDFMap and never use Gallery.
Cheers.
waterfallman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Happily retired!

Postby carryless » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 10:27 am

Is there any way these maps can be used with a different app? I love the maps and for the king william range area these are better than the tasmaps in my opinion, although I haven't actually been out there yet to comment on vegetation or accuracy, but they are easier to read.

However the lack of automatic integration/joining/autoloading of adjoining maps is driving me crazy in PDF maps. I really like the look of the Backcountry navigator app, but I would like to be able to load these maps into it.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Rapscallion » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi @carryless, yes you can use LISTmap in many other apps - see my thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17091

Of particular note, the new LISTMap user guide now has instructions on how to integrate LISTmap data into many Android/iOS apps:

http://listdata.thelist.tas.gov.au/publ ... _Guide.pdf

But *any* app that can link into WMS data will be able to display these maps without issue.

I've been using OruxMaps (on Android) for a while, recently switched to Locus Maps which I think is a bit better. I've seen the LISTmaps working on OSMAND also.

If you follow these instructions you'll have auto-scroll / auto-load / auto-join and you won't have to switch between regions or anything like that.
Rapscallion
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 3:05 pm

carryless wrote:Is there any way these maps can be used with a different app? I love the maps and for the king william range area these are better than the tasmaps in my opinion, although I haven't actually been out there yet to comment on vegetation or accuracy, but they are easier to read.

However the lack of automatic integration/joining/autoloading of adjoining maps is driving me crazy in PDF maps. I really like the look of the Backcountry navigator app, but I would like to be able to load these maps into it.

When you scroll past the edge of the map in PDFMaps, if you have the adjoining one loaded it displays an arrow - click on that and it will display a list of the available nearby maps. I guess it's not seamless but it's been good enough for me so far. The directions given for making your own maps means you could easily create your own maps with the entire area you needed in 1:25k.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tjsquire » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 4:22 pm

Hey mholling. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but where do I find these maps? I'd love to try them out. tjsquire@gmail.com
tjsquire
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mholling » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:43 pm

I thought my download stats might be of interest. Top twenty maps by download are as follows:

4236 Cathedral
4038 Cradle
4235 Du Cane
5225 Hobart
4234 Olympus
4237 Rowallan
4437 Pillans
4036 Achilles
4037 Will
4436 Ada
4233 Rufus
4438 Lake MacKenzie
4035 Dome
5025 Collinsvale
5024 Longley
4039 Pencil Pine
4238 Borradaile
5224 Taroona
5041 Launceston
6033 Coles Bay

Not really many surprises in that list, actually. :)
mholling
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby grahamedkershaw » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 8:03 am

I have also been trying to find away to jump between maps and just came across this answer from Avensa and it works! Now I can scroll between maps automatically.
http://www.avenza.com/forum/index.php?topic=1001.0
grahamedkershaw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 6:34 am

I'v e been using these maps/app for well over a year now, just as a backup to my backup for navigation. It's very excellent. Thanks for making it happen mholling!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Carcass » Mon 27 Nov, 2017 6:26 pm

Unfortunately the free Tas maps seem to have disappeared recently.

I had previously downloaded all the maps for the South Coast track, where I am going in Dec/Jan but recently had to change my phone as it got wet canyoning and when I have gone back in to look over the maps for the hike they are not available & now have a cost of $1.49 each :( :( :(
Carcass
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bigwallclimber » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 6:28 am

Just food for thought, I regularly use Gaia GPS and the maps are freely available have you considered this? This is a screen capture of the maps
Attachments
Screenshot_20171129-072905.png
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 7:57 am

These are almost clones of the TASMap's, so lots of specific data including vegetation layers that gaia or OSM doesn't have. Certainly more useful than free version and I'm very sad to see them go.

I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to transfer them between phones ? I'll probably have to buy them all as I need them.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 9:07 am

Gaia itself isn't free, however. As of earlier this year it's a $14.50 AUD per year subscription.

The open source maps aren't bad at all but I prefer the appearance of the 25k TASMaps. Which is less expensive depends on number of maps and time.

@bigwallclimber -- try zooming into Federation Peak with Gaia. Does it look okay?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania