Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Helicopter Rescues in Tasmania "2"

Postby tastrax » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 3:44 pm

north-north-west wrote: As for the walker who said they were on the right track, it depends exactly what they asked, doesn't it?

...and where they were at the time...
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 4:04 pm

tastrax wrote:
AndyR wrote:...they keep referring to the Scotts Peak circuit which no-one else seems to know about so I'd be interested to know where they got the notion that such a walk exists.

I reckon this comes from the registration booth at Huon campsite. It has a map with all the common walks from that departure point and would show Arthur Plains, A - K, Eastern Arthurs, Port Davey track etc and each has a designation (cant remember route A, B, C, D etc). on the map. This makes its easy for folks to spell out there intentions in a simple way. There is an 'obvious circuit' along McKays, up A, along the range, down K, back along the plains. I reckon that is the "Scotts Peak Circuit" they are defining.

And they never noticed the length of the thing, or that it includes a multi-day traverse of the range?
Reminds me of those social media commentators who don't read past the headline and say some remarkably idiotic things as a consequence.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby dazintaz » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:08 pm

I am so pleased the father and son were found alive. Interesting the media reporting the missing duo with no wet weather gear. I was impressed how well their campsite was set up, however, the public were led to believe 2 nuff nuffs were traversing the entire western arthurs. Completely misrepresentation of the facts. It is very easy to walk off the track, happens all the time. The only dodo was the ABC female reporter stationed at Strathgordon with her live cross to Peter Gee. What a joke, her fumbling and misinformation surely would have made the family more anxious.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stepbystep » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:09 pm

Just wait for the Bear Grylls twist .... omg
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:14 pm

dazintaz wrote:I am so pleased the father and son were found alive. Interesting the media reporting the missing duo with no wet weather gear. I was impressed how well their campsite was set up, however, the public were led to believe 2 nuff nuffs were traversing the entire western arthurs. Completely misrepresentation of the facts. It is very easy to walk off the track, happens all the time. The only dodo was the ABC female reporter stationed at Strathgordon with her live cross to Peter Gee. What a joke, her fumbling and misinformation surely would have made the family more anxious.

You are so wrong, well done on being so wrong.

They had no wet weather gear, no food, said they were doing an Arthurs Traverse and had never been on a bushwalk. They were the known facts and the ABC were liaising with the family who were withholding certain things that have only become apparent today. The truth is unbelievable...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AndyR » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 6:14 pm

tastrax wrote:
AndyR wrote:...they keep referring to the Scotts Peak circuit which no-one else seems to know about so I'd be interested to know where they got the notion that such a walk exists.

I reckon this comes from the registration booth at Huon campsite. It has a map with all the common walks from that departure point and would show Arthur Plains, A - K, Eastern Arthurs, Port Davey track etc and each has a designation (cant remember route A, B, C, D etc). on the map. This makes its easy for folks to spell out there intentions in a simple way. There is an 'obvious circuit' along McKays, up A, along the range, down K, back along the plains. I reckon that is the "Scotts Peak Circuit" they are defining.

I will see if I can find an old image of the rego booth

I did wonder about that but was hoping it couldn't be the case, even if it was flat it would be a long day walk! I haven't been to that camp for a long time, it will be interesting to see what it spells out in terms of the walk.
AndyR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lee737 » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 6:24 pm

JohnR wrote:Fantastic that they were found and chapeau to the rescue crews.

I must admit to being in stitches watching the interview (the link to which Lizzy posted above). It's a bit like a Chris Lilley 'mockumentary'.

On a serious note, it would be good if the media use the public interest in this event in a positive way by creating some awareness on how someone prepares themself to safely enter and enjoy these areas. This should be done in a sensitive way. It should not be in the form of public critisim of the father and son, who seem to be very genuine chaps.

While the whole episode created significant danger for both the rescued and rescuers, I commend the father on spending time with his son in the outdoors (even though perhaps a little more time than what he first intended). These adventures give a sense of achievement and build resilience and self worth in our young.

No doubt there are other dads out there that spent Anzac Day at the pub.

Great post JohnR.
Hopefully this fellow has learnt a thing or fifty about bushwalking now, and next time depart more prepared to deal with the problems they faced. Maybe they will do some more basic walks to get some experience, and get some gear that will prevent this happening again, which is not difficult or expensive in this century....
They certainly got that bonding experience they were after, didn't they..... one day they can share a beer (or fifty) about it! :)
lee737
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hermione » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

Glad they were found alive and well, does seem like a bit of a debacle on the surface. Though not knowing the facts I'm not in a position to comment. What I think though is that people will continue to do apparently crazy things no matter how much publicity and education there is. Unfortunately people do all kinds of dangerous and stupid stuff, way way more stupid than these guys, which often impacts others as well as themselves, drugs, drinking, driving etc.. I'm a nurse so I see this all the time. Even though I'm pretty sure there have been numerous public education campaigns focussing on these issues. It's not actually difficult to find some of this information, surely just googling Southwest Tasmania would give you clue it wouldn't be a Sunday stroll. Anyway all's well that ends well I guess. Of course I could need rescuing myself one day, I just like to think I would be better prepared but I recognise there's a degree of arrogance in that assumption.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:14 pm

deleted
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby dazintaz » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:42 pm

stepbystep
Last edited by dazintaz on Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dazintaz » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:45 pm

stepbystep wrote:
dazintaz wrote:I am so pleased the father and son were found alive. Interesting the media reporting the missing duo with no wet weather gear. I was impressed how well their campsite was set up, however, the public were led to believe 2 nuff nuffs were traversing the entire western arthurs. Completely misrepresentation of the facts. It is very easy to walk off the track, happens all the time. The only dodo was the ABC female reporter stationed at Strathgordon with her live cross to Peter Gee. What a joke, her fumbling and misinformation surely would have made the family more anxious.

They had no wet weather gear, no food, said they were doing an Arthurs Traverse and had never been on a bushwalk. They were the known facts and the ABC were liaising with the family who were withholding certain things that have only become apparent today. The truth is unbelievable...

They had no wet weather gear??? Did you see the 13yo wearing a rain jacket???

Never been on a bushwalk???? Did you see their campsite with overhead tarp over their 2 chairs in front of perfectly set out fireplace?? and 2 perfectly erected tents??? Hardly the lack of inexperienced campers.

They made a shelter for themselves, marked a rescue point, and headed for a river for water, again never been on a bush walk. Yes, I'm so wrong.

And the fact the news reported they were walking the western arthurs, they never did, they were on the plains.

If they liased with the family how come they kept reporting the fathers incorrect age.
dazintaz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby geoskid » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:58 pm

Strider wrote:
Thornbill wrote:
tastrax wrote:Heck, I'm probably guilty of it.

Indeed you are mate! Have you forgotten about the time you talked a French exchange student into accompanying us on a trip to Frenchmans Cap! :lol:

Just a little point of order here - Tastrax has been misquoted here.
He may or may not care about being falsely associated with French exchange students, but I do, because I wasn't there. :D
Carry on.
Well done to all involved in the rescue - we do what we do very , very well in Tassie.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby geoskid » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:14 pm

Thornbill wrote:
tastrax wrote:...there must be thousands of images and posters out there showing the range on a lovely sunny day. Alas, its seldom like that but a wind swept, sleeting version of the same image has less appeal for tourism promotion.

To give Tourism Tasmania credit, they do state the difficulty of walks and how much experience is needed for such images, but there are undoubtedly other accounts that do not do this. Heck, I'm probably guilty of it.

We can all relate isolated stories of when poo hits fan. There is a thread here about what people do on the OLT. This will always happen. Be careful of what we wish for is the caution here.
The individuals involved made mistakes. The measures we have in place saved them from themselves,
Carry on regardless.
geoskid

Postby geoskid » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:42 pm

stepbystep wrote:

G'day SBS- Yeah, there is no doubt the Father and son messed up.
How do you know when you messed up?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=th ... ORM=VRDGAR
People need to learn.

ETA - I have messed up big time - I was pulled from the Forth Wier- I had to learn from my mistake.
geoskid

Postby Thornbill » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:59 pm

geoskid wrote:Just a little point of order here - Tastrax has been misquoted here.
He may or may not care about being falsely associated with French exchange students, but I do, because I wasn't there. :D
Carry on.
Well done to all involved in the rescue - we do what we do very , very well in Tassie.

Thanks for pointing that out geoskid. No idea how tastrax got tangled up in that one.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 12:06 am

dazintaz wrote:Never been on a bushwalk???? Did you see their campsite with overhead tarp over their 2 chairs in front of perfectly set out fireplace?? and 2 perfectly erected tents??? Hardly the lack of inexperienced campers.

Family confirmed via Facebook that all equipment was purchased specifically for this trip.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby stepbystep » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 7:29 am

dazintaz wrote:
stepbystep wrote:

They had no wet weather gear??? Did you see the 13yo wearing a rain jacket???

Never been on a bushwalk???? Did you see their campsite with overhead tarp over their 2 chairs in front of perfectly set out fireplace?? and 2 perfectly erected tents??? Hardly the lack of inexperienced campers.

They made a shelter for themselves, marked a rescue point, and headed for a river for water, again never been on a bush walk. Yes, I'm so wrong.

And the fact the news reported they were walking the western arthurs, they never did, they were on the plains.

If they liased with the family how come they kept reporting the fathers incorrect age.

Yep you're wrong. Jacket was supplied by rescuers...

You can learn a bit from Bears shows. Alas they never learned to navigate....they had never been overnight walking or even extended day walking. Ever.

I can't say much more than that other than media have to be careful around these issues for many reasons. Some "dodo's" know more than you might give them credit for...others spend their time making assumptions ;)
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 11:03 am

dazintaz wrote:Never been on a bushwalk???? Did you see their campsite with overhead tarp over their 2 chairs in front of perfectly set out fireplace?? and 2 perfectly erected tents??? Hardly the lack of inexperienced campers.

You don't need a skerrick of bushwalking experience to set up a camp somewhere like Huon campground. Plenty of people - in fact, the majority of so-called 'campers' - camp in places like that and never stir further from their site on foot than to visit the dunnies. It's not much rougher than 'camping' in a caravan park.

They didn't walk where they said they were going to. Is that really so hard to understand?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Azza » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 11:35 am

stepbystep wrote:Just wait for the Bear Grylls twist .... omg

omg.. Wouldn't surprise if this whole episode turns into a media farce now as they focus on the Bear Grylls aspect...
No doubt they'll be working it hard in the hope of getting a response from the man himself.

Unfortunately we'll probably never get an accurate story reported.
Azza

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:00 pm

A BUSHWALKER with suspected hypothermia has been flown to safety after a cold night lost on Tasmania’s Overland Track.
Police said the 27-year-old woman became separated from her walking party late yesterday. She was found by a search party about 2am today.
It is believed she is suffering a degree of hypothermia. Police said weather conditions prevented the Westpac Rescue helicopter from flying in last night, with the woman evacuated from the area early this afternoon.

From http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasma ... 1493697327
Mountain Rocket

Postby Rick » Tue 02 May, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't understand why they would still be walking at 9pm and also how do you get separated? I've been taught to always make sure everyone is accounted for all the time. Particularly if you are walking at night.

Just a little baffling.
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Tue 02 May, 2017 3:36 pm

Rick wrote:I don't understand why they would still be walking at 9pm and also how do you get separated? I've been taught to always make sure everyone is accounted for all the time. Particularly if you are walking at night.

Just a little baffling.

Or why this person was still walking around at 2am and not in their tent asleep keeping warm.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Tue 02 May, 2017 3:39 pm

Rick wrote:I don't understand why they would still be walking at 9pm and also how do you get separated? I've been taught to always make sure everyone is accounted for all the time. Particularly if you are walking at night.

Just a little baffling.

Its not uncommon for people to start later in the day, if you don't have your own transport or coming from further away. Whether that is a good idea or not... depends..

When the weather turns bad, snowing and its dark and your having trouble navigating things can grind to a halt.
That last hour or so to Waterfall Valley can turn into a few hours of stumbling around without evening realising.
Then its not actually that hard to get separated. yup, in theory you should keep together.. in practice it can be difficult when your exhausted and pushing through the dark in bad weather.

I guess that person wasn't the one carrying the tent?
Azza

Postby Rick » Tue 02 May, 2017 5:57 pm

Azza wrote:I guess that person wasn't the one carrying the tent?

Or a whistle :|

Very easy to get separated in those conditions in that area but common sense must be used. Stay together and keep communicating!
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 02 May, 2017 6:16 pm

Common sense is not so common. Voltaire.

The big problem with the signs, websites, booklets, maps and other information that details what should be carried, done or the like is not read by most people who should be reading it. Even if they do read it then they dismiss or simply do not comprehend the information. Only after a fair while in the bush experiencing how bad it can get - probably years for most people - will there be awareness of what can go wrong. There's not much that can done that isn't being done, and I think that these messages must still be made known in the hope that this will prevent more adverse incidents.

I'm still in a slight case of shock over the Pelion Gap and Western Arthurs rescues. Twist an ankle, fine, happens. But move off or not make for the OLT? Madness. Attempt to mimic Bear Grylls with damn all experience or gear, also madness. I wonder how many near misses there are that don't make the media or need SAR.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby dee_legg » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:10 am

From the Tas Police Facebook page.

"A female hiker, who got separated from her walking party, on the Overland Track yesterday, was located by a parks ranger at about 2am this morning, in an area known as The Cirque.
A search involving the parks ranger, two civilian volunteers, Police Search and Rescue personnel and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter had begun at 11.30pm.
Inclement weather including hail, snow, wind and rain grounded the helicopter at Devonport at approximately 2am.
At approximately 11pm yesterday, two walkers reported that they had become separated from third member of their party two hours prior on The Overland Track.
The 27-year-old woman was located around 2am, suffering from mild hypothermia. She was stabilised and provided shelter until she could be assisted to Waterfall Valley Hut by police search and rescue personnel.
The Westpac Rescue Helicopter was able to fly into the area around 1pm today, to pick up the walkers and fly them to safety at Cradle Valley.
Weather in the area has been extremely poor over the past 24 hours with snow to 600 meters and strong wind. Taking into account wind chill, temperatures would have been well below zero.
Police are urging hikers to pay close attention to weather forecasts and to take appropriate precautions, if not delay their walk.
Police commend the actions of the Parks and Wildlife Ranger and the two civilians who volunteered to assist him, their actions no doubt assisted a successful outcome for this incident."
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philm » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:15 am

Interesting that the weather forecast was predicted to be wild and seems odd that the 3 walkers were out walking at 9pm at night? Must have started late on the OLT?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 May, 2017 6:30 pm

dee_legg wrote:Police are urging hikers to pay close attention to weather forecasts and to take appropriate precautions, if not delay their walk.

'Delaying walks' and permit systems don't really go hand in hand.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 03 May, 2017 7:30 pm

Nuts wrote:
dee_legg wrote:Police are urging hikers to pay close attention to weather forecasts and to take appropriate precautions, if not delay their walk.

'Delaying walks' and permit systems don't really go hand in hand.

Isn't the OLT now out of booking season?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Wed 03 May, 2017 7:32 pm

No - still in place till the end of May
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii