Mount Snowy and Hartz Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Snowy and Hartz Peak

Postby possytas » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 3:44 pm

We are planning to do a walk to both Mount Snowy peak and Hartz Peak. I've found a couple of sites that describe a 'circuit' track that takes you via Arthur & Emily Tarn, however the posts are old and I wonder how easy the track is to follow now. Has anyone done this recently?
possytas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mount Snowy and Hartz Peak

Postby Osik » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 6:10 am

Hi Possy, I've probably done this 2 or 3 times over the past year or two. I've always done the circuit clockwise (ie turned off the main track at the location described elsewhere (if you keep your eyes open, can't really miss it), gone via the tarns, up to the saddle between the peaks, popped up Mount Snowy, then along the rocky ridgeline to Hartz. If you keep an eye for cairns/tape and take your time to look around you can't really go wrong (though I must admit I have previously removed alot of the unsightly tape - apologies if anyone put it up - it's a sensitive area and tape is not needed). On the way back, if you are into scrambling, stay as close to the ridgeline between Snowy and Hartz as you can, if your not, stay a little to your left and you can avoid any difficulties. I've been up there in almost whiteout conditions which made things a little tricky so just be aware that the weather can change very quickly.

Sorry if this is a bit vague but the areas around the tarns are quite sensitive & there is already alot of degradation so I didn't want to spell out the route in detail. Probably my favourite short circuit in Tassie (though there are a couple of other close contenders!).
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby possytas » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 7:30 am

Thank you Osik. We've been up Hartz once before and it was amazing! So looking forward to the slight variation.
possytas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby danman » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 7:20 pm

Hey all, visiting tassie for the week and hoping to do the hartz peak walk. Just wondering if there are any issues with doing this in winter? Went up mt wellington yesterday and it was *&%$#! cold with the windchill factor..

My main concern is just whether the track is fairly well defined or if there are any scrambling sections that would be tricky with ice.

Edit: one further question, where is the best place for weather forecast information? I normally use bom, but it seems to be generally more aimed towards the towns like geeveston than up on the ranges.
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/1253

Is this a useful site? Winds and rain are currently looking a lot better for Tuesday than the 100kmh+ gusts today.
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby devoswitch » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 7:23 am

There’s no problems doing it in winter. Just be aware obviously it may stay icy up there all day in the shade.
Also if there’s heavy snowfall it can take a bit longer than normal but there’s usually footprints to follow.
The track is very well defined and makes for some easily accessible lush views!

For the weather just be sensible and pick a clear non windy day. You’ll soon find out how much different the weather can be up the tops on a bad day.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby danman » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks mate, looks like tuesday is the go with the wind hopefully dropping off a bit. Looking forward to it!
danman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby devoswitch » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 12:40 pm

Enjoy it as it’s a truly beautiful place. If you have the time the circuit across to snowy and drop down to the tarns is really worth it. I love the ridgeline walk down off Hartz towards Snowy.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanR » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:47 am

With heavy snowfall, you may want to make sure your car can get in there safely.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania