Sharpes Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sharpes Falls

Postby wander » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 2:05 pm

Is Sharpes Falls in or out of the Mt Field National Park?

Or is in an undisturbed Forestry Land?

Anyone know of any issues accessing this fall?

And how does this compare to accessing Marriot Falls lower and upper?
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Sharpes Falls

Postby Caedo12 » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:34 pm

I made it to Sharpes Falls a couple of weeks ago. Certainly not easy but well worth it!

Turn off onto Newbury Road a few kilometres past Mt Field, cross over the Tyenna River, and then park at a locked gate a little ways past the bridge. The sign says that there is no entry beyond this point, but the waterfall itself is on a public reserve (not national park), so there isn't really any issue walking on along the road. There are a few 4WD tracks branching off the main road, but it isn't too difficult to figure out which way to go, up until there is a fork in the road where two equally significant roads branch off from each other. Head left here, and walk for about another 5 minutes, before a side road heads off sharply to the left. Go down this one for about 100 metres, before meeting up with some 4WD track. Turn right, and then head right again into the bush maybe 20 metres further along. There are some ribbons tied to trees once you get into the forest, but finding the right spot to enter it is tricky. The route to the base of the falls is completely undeveloped, and very steep and slippery towards the end (similar to the Quaile Falls trail except a bit worse) but the view of the falls makes the effort all seem worthwhile.

Certainly a fun adventure to be had!
Attachments
IMG_6274.jpg
Sharpes Falls
IMG_6270.jpg
Landscape Shot
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby naturelover » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 5:40 pm

Hey, thanks Credo for this information. I hope to tackle these fairly soon
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 8:06 am

Roads and track shown on ListMaps (even the sat images) seem to follow that route for a while - except it shows fewer sideroads, and the falls are to the left (west or south) of the road when driving in, not the right . . . you must cross the creek somewhere downstream to get that side of the falls. But it would have to be a fairly new set of roads not to be shown on the sat images.
Attachments
Sharpes-topo.jpg
Sharpes-sat.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Caedo12 » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 4:08 pm

In terms of the number of roads, there are a couple of more minor roads that aren't on the map (probably because they only go a short distance in to access the logging areas). At any rate, that doesn't really matter as it's pretty hard to confuse them with the main road, so forget I mentioned it.

Reading over what I posted before the directions aren't quite right, and I'll post a screenshot of a makeshift drawn route I put together. Once you head down the side road and reach the 4WD track you turn left, which I didn't mention before, before making the right turn I mentioned about 10 metres later near a small pile of dirt (which may or may not still be there). Hopefully the picture clears it up:
Attachments
sharpes.png
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 4:56 pm

That makes more sense. Looks like you turn near where than obvious rectangular coupe is in the sat image. Then turn downstream and then turn off to pick up the marked route. Thanks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 1:34 pm

Went to have a look at Sharpes Falls earlier today. I took my bike to avoid a road walk up Newbury road and found the boom gate open! Turns out I rode into an active logging site which put an end to my plans...
EDIT: Here's a pic of what I came across. I went a little further and saw moving machinery in the distance so thought it'd be best to get outta there :wink:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania