Riggs Pass

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Riggs Pass

Postby Davo1 » Fri 15 Apr, 2016 9:43 am

Don't suppose there's a remote chance anyone has done the Riggs Pass track at Cradle recently?
Just wondering how overgrown it is....
Thanks
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Riggs Pass

Postby eggs » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:32 pm

Might be able to let you know by the end of the week..
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby bauera » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:47 pm

It's a few years since I did it (close to 10), so you couldn't call that recently. However, it was relatively easy to find from the Waldheim end (off the lower part of the Hounslow Heath track, behind the sign) and to follow. There was a bit of encroaching bauera (!) as I made my way around one hill but that was more of an inconvenience than a hindrance to navigation. As long as visibility is reasonable you should have no trouble. I lost the pad up towards Crater Peak but by then it was easy to walk across open alpine grass.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davo1 » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:45 pm

eggs wrote:Might be able to let you know by the end of the week..

Thanks eggs, I may even be back up myself by then :)
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davo1 » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:49 pm

bauera wrote:It's a few years since I did it (close to 10), so you couldn't call that recently. However, it was relatively easy to find from the Waldheim end (off the lower part of the Hounslow Heath track, behind the sign) and to follow. There was a bit of encroaching bauera (!) as I made my way around one hill but that was more of an inconvenience than a hindrance to navigation. As long as visibility is reasonable you should have no trouble. I lost the pad up towards Crater Peak but by then it was easy to walk across open alpine grass.

Thanks bauera, I know where it is as I've been past many times and yes the ridge line is fine I was just wondering whether it had overgrown much through the scrub at the bottom.
Like eggs, I guess I'll know within a week.
Cheers
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

Davo1 wrote:Don't suppose there's a remote chance anyone has done the Riggs Pass track at Cradle recently?
Thanks

Hi Davo - I went there a couple of years ago, and wrote about it here http://www.naturescribe.com/2013/11/a-rite-of-spring.html Re. the condition of the route I noted the following:
We’d left a well-marked but unmaintained track and joined an occasionally-marked but overgrown route. As we climbed higher, tripping and slipping through ankle-tapping scrub ... (etc)

In other words, the Maryland Track is still well-marked, but the Riggs Pass route is more vague. Of course we walked the pass in snow, so navigation was both easier and harder. But really, it's not a difficult route, and a really interesting way of accessing the Cradle Plateau/Horse Track area.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Davo1 » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 2:42 pm

whynotwalk wrote:
Davo1 wrote:Don't suppose there's a remote chance anyone has done the Riggs Pass track at Cradle recently?
Thanks

Hi Davo - I went there a couple of years ago, and wrote about it here http://www.naturescribe.com/2013/11/a-rite-of-spring.html Re. the condition of the route I noted the following:
We’d left a well-marked but unmaintained track and joined an occasionally-marked but overgrown route. As we climbed higher, tripping and slipping through ankle-tapping scrub ... (etc)

In other words, the Maryland Track is still well-marked, but the Riggs Pass route is more vague. Of course we walked the pass in snow, so navigation was both easier and harder. But really, it's not a difficult route, and a really interesting way of accessing the Cradle Plateau/Horse Track area.

cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,
Pretty much what I expected.
I was out the Maryland just a few days ago and it hasn't changed but I expect that ankle tapping stuff you mention may be slightly worse by now as it is certainly not a well used track :)
Once again thank you.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 9:59 pm

Bit disappointed. The scheduled day for Riggs Pass was a foul weather day. So we only kept low to check out the fagus around the lakes. Sorry, but no update on its condition.
But nice to put a face to the name. Hope your trip went well.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Davo1 » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 7:02 am

eggs wrote:Bit disappointed. The scheduled day for Riggs Pass was a foul weather day. So we only kept low to check out the fagus around the lakes. Sorry, but no update on its condition.
But nice to put a face to the name. Hope your trip went well.

The night we met blew like you wouldn't believe (oh what I'd have given to be down in that valley with you) and the next morning wan't the best so I decided after finding out my leg was worse than first thought to head home.
I did manage some nice photos though.
Likewise putting a face to the name was a pleasant surprise.
As far as Riggs is concerned I'll check it out when the leg is better...not as though it's far away :)
All is good and look forward to meeting you both again in some unexpected place :)
Attachments
450A1399-Edit.jpg
Lake Will
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cactuscow56 » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:50 pm

re latest access to Riggs, how overgrown. Aiming to go up at Easter

Edit by moderator, sorry for the late approval.
cactuscow56
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania