Mersey Forest Road - Alternate Access

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mersey Forest Road - Alternate Access

Postby tastrekker » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 8:02 pm

The quotes below are from the Request for feedback on recent track upgrades topic. They refer to the Borradaile Plains / Gads Hill route to the upper Mersey valley. For more background refer to my comments on the Floods Tas topic.
pazzar wrote:
flyfisher wrote:
Martin Hawes wrote:will be gated
- Gated? Does anyone know where?
Or why??
ff
My understanding is that Parks are closing this road as it is the only access point to the area currently, and if any event were to occur that may block the road, it would leave people stranded. Hopefully this means that Parks will put some some pressure on to ensure the work on Mersey Forest Road is a priority, although I still think it will take months before it is open again.

So... Based on this logic... A gate will be permanently installed on the Mersey Forest Rd after the Bare Hill Rd junction (just north of Arm River) because people could be stranded by a blockage beyond that point. Presumably Cradle Mt Rd will be closed at Leary's Corner, the Lake Dobson Rd closed completely, Ben Lomond Rd will be in trouble, Mt Wellington closed at Fern Tree, Gordon River Rd closed just past Maydena, etc, etc.

Slightly more seriously... When Forestry were cable logging above the Mersey Forest Rd near Martha Creek a few years ago they closed the road and sent traffic via Borradaile Plains and Bare Hill Road. Why is that not ok now?

Also... Will access to February Plains still be allowed?

Is anyone on the forum able to speak on behalf of Forestry Tas and/or Parks about this issue?
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mersey Forest Road - Alternate Access

Postby Davo1 » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 8:34 am

I personally cannot see the logic in this as at that point it would be irrelevant as to whether the Mersey Forest Roads at Martha Ck was open or not.
If something happened south of there it is past the point of a vehicle escape route anyway so I honestly cannot see the point.
Am I missing something????
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 6:33 pm

Apologies for my sarcastic OP. I spoke to a Forestry manager today when he was fresh from a meeting with Parks and Hydro to discuss the situation. Their concern is there are so many areas of damaged road up in the valley that they do not want members of the public up there until they have worked out a strategy moving forward.

The list of problems he reeled off included Dublin Rd, Arm/Maggs Rd, Little Fisher Rd and Mersey Forest Rd itself (mostly north of Bare Hill Road but there is one wash out just north of Arm River restricting it to single lane). They are also concerned about one log culvert on Borradaile Rd. I expect this is the one which I found a bit slushy at the top of Lemonthyme Creek.

A possible solution may be to patch up Borradaile Road and gate some of the other less used roads so they can at least get traffic back to some areas. The strategy from here will be an ongoing discussion between Forestry, Parks and Hydro and it appears too early to say how long it will be until we see some action.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davo1 » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks for the heads up....
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grant evans » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 5:49 pm

From what I've been hearing It could take 18 months to 2 years for all the repairs to be done on Mersey Forest Road. Part of the reason for this is the shear size of the damage, the other being that the jobs have to be carried out in sequence, as one job has to be finished before they can get heavy machinery etc to the next washout. It's not going to be a quick fix unfortunately☹️
grant evans
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrekker » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 6:44 pm

tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimjim » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 9:22 pm

Sorry, question from someone unfamiliar with the area, but is it possible to access the Arm River trail head at present? I'm not sure where this damage is in relation to that branch of the road....

Thanks.
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby tastrekker » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 9:26 pm

Correct. A landslide has covered Arm Rd & Maggs Rd. There is no alternate route to the Arm River trailhead.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimjim » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks tastreckker. Much appreciated.
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mersey Forest Road - Ferry

Postby greyim » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 2:11 pm

A new wilderness experience run bike paddle
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby howhardcanitbe » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 2:27 pm

It may still be possible to access the Walls of Jerusalem by driving from Lemonthyme power station and Gads Hill Rd and Borradaile Rd. This route is much longer and would probably require a better description or a map to be followed. It may also be gated at some stage but isn't at present.
howhardcanitbe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tastrekker » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 2:46 pm

howhardcanitbe wrote:...It may also be gated at some stage but isn't at present.

How recently did you last take that route?
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nerambler » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 8:16 pm

Can anyone confirm whether the mooted gate to prevent access via Borradaile Plains is in place or still planned to go ahead? Planning to head up there shortly but it's a long way from the NE to encounter a gate and have to turn back!
nerambler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tastrekker » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 9:06 pm

nerambler wrote:Can anyone confirm whether the mooted gate to prevent access via Borradaile Plains is in place or still planned to go ahead? Planning to head up there shortly but it's a long way from the NE to encounter a gate and have to turn back!

That's what I was trying to find out from howhardcanitbe's post. How present do they mean by "...isn't at present"?!?
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby howhardcanitbe » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 9:38 pm

I haven't been in there personally but I work with people who need to access that area. According to them there is no gate there now, but there may be one at some point in the future.
howhardcanitbe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tastrekker » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nerambler » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for that.
nerambler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby grant evans » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 7:22 pm

According to the forestry Tasmania web site Bare Hill Rd is closed, that was posted today, it doesn't say whether there's a gate or not.
grant evans
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby njbignell » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:31 pm

Does anyone have an new info on whether or not the Arm River Track is accessible? Just stumbled upon this and a group of us were planning on walking up Mt Ossa this weekend via that route.

Any info appreciated :) include alternative tracks in that aren't affected by the closures...
njbignell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tastrekker » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 6:10 am

Arm River Track is not accessible.

A gate has now been installed on the alternate access 3km above where Bare Hill Rd joins Mersey Forest Road. This was the alternate access.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby njbignell » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for the info, it's unlucky given all the work that's just gone into upgrading the track. Had I not found this post we'd have run into the gate overnight Friday and be camping on the side of the road.

I've not been able to find any 'alternative' ways into Mt Ossa so it looks like the trip is off for us, there was a decent group already locked into coming down to do it so we're now looking for a plan B this weekend.
njbignell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby eggs » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 3:18 pm

Appreciate the update. I do hope folk who are across this access issue keep updating.
It may have a major effect on planning for a walk next year, and it would be nice if things improved by then.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby tastrekker » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 4:20 pm

njbignell's post made me think of other ways to climb Ossa at the moment:
1. Via Overland Track. Need 5 or 6 days. Booking season starts this weekend.
2. Walk/cycle along Bare Hill, Mersey Forest then Arm River Roads. Approx 20km each way from the Bare Hill Rd gate to the trailhead then the regular 12km Arm River Track to Pelion Hut.
3. Walk/cycle along Bare Hill and Mersey Forest Roads all the way to Pine Hut Plain, approx 25km each way from the gate then the regular 16km Lees Paddocks Track to Lake Ayr then 8kms along Arm River Track to Pelion Hut.
4. Park at northern end of February Plains then trackless walk 15kms each way along the February to the Arm River Track crossing of Warrugarra Creek then another 8kms to Pelion Hut. (Follow the footsteps of mountain cattlemen, trappers & snarers from a bygone era along this route.)
5. Lake Ada to Walls of Jerusalem, down to Lakes Meston and Myrtle and Jackson Creek Track to Pine Hut Plain then along Lees Paddocks Track to Lake Ayr - a good 5-6 days each way to/from Pelion Hut - helpfully described in Chappy's Overland Track Book.'

If you chose Option 3, you can marvel at just how there is virtually no road damage along this route - It is still my strong opinion that we could have all been enjoying access to the Mersey Whitewater Regional Reserve, Walls of Jerusalem, Lake Myrtle, Lees Paddocks, Moses Creek and Jacksons Creek via Borradaile Plains and Bare Hill Roads all this time. All that was needed was for the damaged sections of the other roads to be cordoned off. Sadly the authorities found it more expedient to install 1 gate and bar access completely rather than install 3 gates to block the roads which access the damaged areas (Arm River Rd, Dublin Rd and Mersey Forest Rd north of Bare Hill).
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 4:48 pm

tastrekker wrote:njbignell's post made me think of other ways to climb Ossa at the moment:
1. Via Overland Track. Need 5 or 6 days. Booking season starts this weekend.
2. Walk/cycle along Bare Hill, Mersey Forest then Arm River Roads. Approx 20km each way from the Bare Hill Rd gate to the trailhead then the regular 12km Arm River Track to Pelion Hut.
3. Walk/cycle along Bare Hill and Mersey Forest Roads all the way to Pine Hut Plain, approx 25km each way from the gate then the regular 16km Lees Paddocks Track to Lake Ayr then 8kms along Arm River Track to Pelion Hut.
4. Park at northern end of February Plains then trackless walk 15kms each way along the February to the Arm River Track crossing of Warrugarra Creek then another 8kms to Pelion Hut. (Follow the footsteps of mountain cattlemen, trappers & snarers from a bygone era along this route.)
5. Lake Ada to Walls of Jerusalem, down to Lakes Meston and Myrtle and Jackson Creek Track to Pine Hut Plain then along Lees Paddocks Track to Lake Ayr - a good 5-6 days each way to/from Pelion Hut - helpfully described in Chappy's Overland Track Book.'

If you chose Option 3, you can marvel at just how there is virtually no road damage along this route - It is still my strong opinion that we could have all been enjoying access to the Mersey Whitewater Regional Reserve, Walls of Jerusalem, Lake Myrtle, Lees Paddocks, Moses Creek and Jacksons Creek via Borradaile Plains and Bare Hill Roads all this time. All that was needed was for the damaged sections of the other roads to be cordoned off. Sadly the authorities found it more expedient to install 1 gate and bar access completely rather than install 3 gates to block the roads which access the damaged areas (Arm River Rd, Dublin Rd and Mersey Forest Rd north of Bare Hill).

6. 18V angle grinder :evil:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby njbignell » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 6:09 pm

I think we're going to give Option 2 a go. Most likely cycle in from the new gate Friday night and set up camp at the start of the Arm River Track, then up Ossa on Saturday, and return on Sunday :) if we wind up doing that I'll let you all know how it pans out. I'll try and get some photos along the way.
njbignell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby hobes » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 7:20 pm

I am not sure how the booking season works, but if you can could get underway on Friday, another option is to get to Ossa via the Overland from the south, using Kia ora as a base. Friday - Ferry to Narcissus and to Kia Ora. Saturday - Mt. Ossa. Sunday - Kia Ora to Narcissus and Ferry.
hobes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby njbignell » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:55 pm

That'd be a good option too, but most people are coming from Launceston Friday afternoon so we need to get underway quickly. Does anyone happen to know exactly where the new gate is? Just trying to figure out where we'd need to start riding from? From what I gather it's on Bare Hill Road itself 4-5km before it gets to Mersey Forest Road, rather than actually on Mersey Forest Road itself?

Thanks all!
njbignell
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Snowball1 » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 7:10 pm

tastrekker wrote:"If you chose Option 3, you can marvel at just how there is virtually no road damage along this route - It is still my strong opinion that we could have all been enjoying access to the Mersey Whitewater Regional Reserve, Walls of Jerusalem, Lake Myrtle, Lees Paddocks, Moses Creek and Jacksons Creek via Borradaile Plains and Bare Hill Roads all this time. All that was needed was for the damaged sections of the other roads to be cordoned off. Sadly the authorities found it more expedient to install 1 gate and bar access completely rather than install 3 gates to block the roads which access the damaged areas (Arm River Rd, Dublin Rd and Mersey Forest Rd north of Bare Hill)."

You make a valid point. Perhaps they are over concerned about walkers welfare. Hope that there has been no further damage and that the powers that be, may reconsider their decision.
You only live once, so don't put it off for too long.
Snowball1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:39 am

Snowball1 wrote:
tastrekker wrote:"If you chose Option 3, you can marvel at just how there is virtually no road damage along this route - It is still my strong opinion that we could have all been enjoying access to the Mersey Whitewater Regional Reserve, Walls of Jerusalem, Lake Myrtle, Lees Paddocks, Moses Creek and Jacksons Creek via Borradaile Plains and Bare Hill Roads all this time. All that was needed was for the damaged sections of the other roads to be cordoned off. Sadly the authorities found it more expedient to install 1 gate and bar access completely rather than install 3 gates to block the roads which access the damaged areas (Arm River Rd, Dublin Rd and Mersey Forest Rd north of Bare Hill)."

You make a valid point. Perhaps they are over concerned about walkers welfare. Hope that there has been no further damage and that the powers that be, may reconsider their decision.

More likely they went for the cheaper option because they really don't give a rat's about walkers (or the reserves). Bet if there's planned forestry activity anywhere in the area that the loggers would be getting access.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 12:08 pm

Yep, and any tourism business can surely always either Go Away or use helicopters.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Tasmania