Thark Ridge Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thark Ridge Track

Postby wander » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:52 pm

Can you link from Mountain River, Misty Hill Road to the Old Montagu Fire Trail and thence to the Thark Ridge track?

Or is the route closed at the Mountain River, Misty Hill Road end by private property?
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Thark Ridge Track

Postby muka » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 7:38 am

It may well be. I recall going back that way years ago with a group and it was mentioned that permission was obtained to cut thru a property. Suggest you take a drive in that area with a good map or check TheList maps.
Hope it works out for you.
muka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:16 am

Hey there. I've linked the Thark Ridge track through to the Cathedral Rock track as an excellent through trip taking in Mt Montage as a sidetrip. Unsure about the Mountain River side of things...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:36 pm

The reason for the question is the TheList map and the Wellington Walks map both indicate clearly a track allowing the link.

But when you look on GEarth or Sat Pics it looks very like it is a private driveway and hence possibly a no go.

And it would be a bugger to wander over from Pinnicale Road and down to Mountain River and find you have to walk back.

I was able to be dropped off and picked up where ever last Tas trip hence considering a through route rather than a loop.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby Thomas » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 7:50 pm

Last time I did Mountain River was approximately 3 years ago, when I ascended to the gully between Collins Bonnet & Trestle Mountain....then proceeded to climb Trestle before returning the same way. Tough climb....took me 3 hrs 36 minutes from start of the fire trail at Mountain river to top of trestle return. Pic below...note the gate between the two trees....climb that to commence the walk....all up hill, 1000 mtrs..! :twisted: :twisted:

_MG_0771_Slping Beauty (my destination).JPG
Thomas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania