Daisy Lakes

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Daisy Lakes

Postby kantonysen » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm wondering about the quickest route into Daisy Lakes. Looking at the Mersey map it would seem to me that a reasonable route would be along the Walls track and then make a deviation from Wild Dog Creek?
Cheers
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 5:22 pm

If you take the Walls track as far as Trappers hut, and then veer left a little (actually follow the long wall of the hut that is nearest the track, and keep going that direction through the bush). You'll eventually come across a bit of a foot pad. This is a nice alternative (and actually easier) route into the Walls, and ends up at the top of Jaffa Vale, where I've camped a few times. I think it would be the most direct route to Daisy Lakes, although I've not been that far in myself. I know other people who have used this route to Daisy Lakes.

I've followed Wild Dog creek between this route and the Walls track, and although it is not difficult, veering off at Trappers Hut is a MUCH easier walk (a lot flatter).

So, follow the wall of Trappers Hut and keep going in that direction, until you find a foot pad. This route soon meets a creek which it then follows for most of the first section, as far as the edge of George Howes Lake (near Tiger Lake). Keep following the valley, which soon meets the deeper Wild Dog Creek valley at 90 degees. Descend to Wild Dog creek (this valley intersection can be clearly seen on the Mersey map), cross over, and then ascend the other side and continue in the same direction following another creek most of the way through Zion Vale then keep going to just north of Mt Jerusalem.

Not sure where exactly would be the best place to veer out of Zion Vale towards Daisy Lakes, but I hope this much helps! :)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 27 Aug, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Daisy Lakes

Postby kantonysen » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the information Nik. I've spent quite a bit of time pouring over the map. A good alternative route to go into the Walls as well as a way to get to Daisy Lakes.
Cheers
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby chapman » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:52 am

The track from Trappers Hut past Lake Goerge Howes is a clearly defined cut track. This takes you intot he valley of Wild Dog Creek As suggested below contineu straight across and a pad starts up onthe right hand side and continues through Golden gate then another pad sidles around a ridge to the side of Lake Thor then head through the gap to the Daisy Lakes. Its all described in the current edition of our Cradle Mountain and Walls guide (5th edition) on page 156.

Have fun exploring a nice walking area
John
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Thu 19 Apr, 2007 4:13 pm

chapman wrote:Have fun exploring a nice walking area
John

Hi John, Great to have you here! Thanks for your input!
Adam.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby kantonysen » Fri 20 Apr, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks for your reply, John. When the days get somewhat longer again I'll investigate further. :D
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Daisy Lakes

Postby flyfisher » Sun 14 Dec, 2008 8:19 pm

"Kantonyson wrote"
Thanks for your reply, John. When the days get somewhat longer again I'll investigate further.

Hi Keith, did you ever venture back to Daisy Lakes and if so,how was the walk. Were you fishing or just looking.
It's a pretty special area round there, don't you think.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Return to Tasmania