Hammock or Tent?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hammock or Tent?

Postby Suz » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 8:37 am

Hey All,

I'm planning on coming to Tas around March with both a hammock and tent in the car. Just wondering if people can advise whether the following hikes are better with a tent or hammock:

Overland + WOJ + Pine Valley...also does anyone know if you can get a food drop done at Narcissus Hut by National Parks / the Ferry driver?
South Coast Track
Western Arthurs Circuit - I assume that's tent only...not sure if I have the guts for this one
Mt Anne Circuit
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Hammock or Tent?

Postby north-north-west » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 5:43 pm

Anne circuit there's not really anywhere to use a hammock.

If you can manage Anne you should be OK in the WArthurs. It's longer and more consistent but the hardest bits of Anne are harder than the hardest bits of the WArthurs. Just take it slow and easy and give yourself plenty of extra time between campsites. Again, definitely tent.

SCT can be hammocked as the campsites tend to be amongst trees.

If you're going to use the formal campsites on the OT, some aren't suitable for a hammock. There are plenty of other spots where you could use one, however. Really depends on where you end up spending the nights.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 9:18 pm

Having tried both in NZ, I've concluded that tent set up is lighter, and more convenient/ weather proof than any hammock set up. I'd love to use hammock more , but the weight/comfort benefit isn't there....maybe coz I'm not a back sleeper?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Suz » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks both.

I haven't tried a hammock yet but as I sleep poorly in a tent - it's worth a try! Maybe I will discover hammocks don't suit me either. I think my new hammock set up will weigh about the same as my tent.

Thanks NNW for the advice re: Mt Anne / WA.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Tasmania