Smoko Road....good news..!

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Smoko Road....good news..!

Postby Thomas » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi all,

some interesting and good news i stumbled upon today....

Did the hike up onto Mother Cummings Head via Smoko Road. You can imagine my surprise when i round the corner to head up smoko road to find a roadworks sign and the start of the track is now two lanes wide and nicely graded...!
about two hundred meters in i come across an excavator in the middle of the track with a nice pile of dirt in front of him. After a 5 minute chat, he kindly offered to move the pile and let me past.! Very grateful was I...!
Curious am I....i enquired as to how far he was headed with the clearing, and he started "all the way....& some new gravel laid down".

All round, good news, and it was a cracking day up on the top too.....!

Regards,
T.
Thomas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Smoko Road....good news..!

Postby Davo1 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 6:18 am

That makes me a bit suspicious??????????????
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thomas » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 8:02 am

Hmmmmm.....yes, agreed. I did ask if there were any others to be done and was told only smoko road. What are your suspicions?
Thomas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickMonk » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 12:03 pm

Suspicious, but there has also been a fair bit of trumpeting about the Smoko area by Tourism Tas. They are getting a lot of 'instagram effect' travellers heading up to Chasm Falls at the moment.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Davo1 » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 1:46 pm

Well I can honestly say that I take all my suspicions back.....
The road is being done up for the benefit of bushwalkers, tourism etc etc.
Included in the plans is to place a footbridge over the creek at the end of Smoko Road which has the funding already in place and it's a matter of just being patient as it's going to happen.
Good news for some but maybe not all :)
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thomas » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 7:40 pm

Good to hear..! But a foot bridge...that will just ruin the fun of taking your boots off to cross the creek..!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whilst we're on the subject of that area, is anyone able to confirm that the track that commences to the right hand end of the main sign is indeed an alternate track for times of high water flow, & ends up rejoining the main track where you cross the creek further up the gully...???

Rgds,
T.
Thomas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davo1 » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 8:47 pm

Thomas wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of that area, is anyone able to confirm that the track that commences to the right hand end of the main sign is indeed an alternate track for times of high water flow, & ends up rejoining the main track where you cross the creek further up the gully...???

Rgds,
T.

Yes it is and does....
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 5:05 pm

Just an update on access to Chasm Falls and Ironstone Track.
There is no sign that anyone is installing a footbridge at the end of Smoko road yet, but the road is still in good condition.

PWS have a sign saying the Chasm Falls track is closed because the "bridge" over the Smoko Creek has been removed. So we naturally went have a look.
You can walk all the way to the main Chasm Falls, so there is no problem viewing the Lower and Middle Falls. However, the log that was used for viewing the chasm at Chasm Falls is gone. So it is harder to view these falls, and if you were planning to use the log as the way to Ironstone Mountain or other tracks higher up, then you need another route.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Maraea48 » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 10:08 pm

Davo1 wrote:Well I can honestly say that I take all my suspicions back.....
The road is being done up for the benefit of bushwalkers, tourism etc etc.
Included in the plans is to place a footbridge over the creek at the end of Smoko Road which has the funding already in place and it's a matter of just being patient as it's going to happen.
Good news for some but maybe not all :)

Good News? Don't think so! If you go to Listmap https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map and focus on the Smoko Creek road area, then click on Layers [top right] , then click on Add a Layer, in the next window select "Reserves", Then Press the green + button on the "Future potential Production Forest" you will see that Guy Barnett & Will Hodgeman are planing to do a great deal of Damage in that area over the next few years under the guise of "Rebuilding the Forest Industry"
Maraea48
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania