Hiking boots & retailers

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking boots & retailers

Postby frater » Fri 24 Feb, 2017 2:47 pm

Hey everyone, was just hoping I could get some recommendations.

I'm fairly new to bushwalking, beyond doing a bit as a kid. Decided recently to take it up as a form of exercise to drop some weight, raise my general fitness etc. I've enjoyed it so far but have had a bit of a harsh learning curve that ended up with me pushing myself too hard initially and ending up out for a few weeks with a burst blister covering most of the back of one foot.

So, i'm looking at getting a decent pair of boots since everything I have is falling to pieces. I've been to a few places and have been looking at the range they have out at Anaconda - particularly the Columbia Newtown Ridge Plus II's, or the or maybe The North Face Storm's. Even a cheapish pair of boots looks like it'll set me back a couple of hundred though and I'd like to know what the general thoughts are of people who use them.

So, has anyone tried these and can give me some info? Or have other recommendations?

Also, i'm looking for boots rather than hiking shoes - my second injury which is still healing was a sprained ankle so i'd prefer the additional support.
frater
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: -
Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking boots & retailers

Postby wayno » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 5:36 am

footwear is user specific.... different people fit can fit the same brand differently.... make sure the boot is at least comfortable in the store and theres no pressure points before you listen to anyone elses advice, whats good for someone else isnt necessarily good for you.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby NickMonk » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 8:22 am

When I set out to get on to a new brand of boots a couple of years ago, the one brand I kept hearing over and over again from hardened bushwalkers was 'Zamberlan'.

After 2 years of using a pair of them I can say with confidence that they are the best boots I've ever owned, very comfortable when worn in (I got blisters in the beginning, as you'll get with most new leather boots until worn in).

I'll also add that you need to match your expensive boots with expensive socks. I wear a thin pair of merino wool socks underneath a thick wool hiking sock. It makes a world of difference. Don't expect much change from $30 - 40 per pair....

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/pr ... vioz-gtx-m here are the boots. I got mine for $250 during one of their sales. Worth every cent.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby cajun » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:27 am

I asked the same questions when I first started. Wayno is spot on. Different strokes for different folks. Mick is right to - try them on with the socks you intend to wear, everyone is different.

Boots for me it was Keen, for my wife Scarpas. I also have a pair of Merrel walking shoes that I use for urban walks and a pair of Vasques for easier bushwalks (which need resoling), my wife stuck with Scarpas.

PS if you search here there is enough info to keep you going for a week.
Last edited by cajun on Sat 25 Feb, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:33 am

I'd question whether you'll be properly fitted in an Anaconda store.

It's the last place I would go to buy boots.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby whynotwalk » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 11:21 am

NickMonk wrote: 'Zamberlan' ... are the best boots I've ever owned

I would second Nick's recommendation. I'm about to purchase my third pair of Zamberlan Vioz, over a period of about 10 years. I've never had any problems with comfort, blisters or durability. I usually wait until they're on special ... which MAY be now, as I note Mountain Designs have a "Spend $300, save 30%" special. [**See in store for details, as that may not mean what I think it means.**]

I know it seems like a lot of money, but their comfort, toughness and dependability is legendary. I would even credit them with saving me from breaking my ankle during one unfortunate event [you can read the gory details on my blog here http://www.naturescribe.com/2015/01/a-mt-anne-epic-2-hands-in-pockets.html]

Whatever you get, if you're in the south of Tassie, I'd also recommend MD in Hobart. They are very helpful with fitting and service (and no, I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer),

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 11:43 am

A quick update: I've now been in to Mountain Designs, and walked out with some new Zamberlan Vioz GTX boots. And yes, they are 30% off at the moment, which makes them around $315.

Happy feet, sore wallet (but could have been worse ... imagine if they sold Hilleberg tents!!)

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 11:51 am

I also wear Zamberlans (Baffin) and find them incredible. I do acknowledge though that not all boots suit everyone and strongly recommend trying on as many different options as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:48 pm

There is no one best boot or brand. Every company uses different lasts that will or will not work for you. Personally have had good experience with Scarpas fitting my wide feet, but ymmv.

Try lots of them multiple times before deciding is my advice and don't be afraid to spend lots of time walking around in them, jumping up and down etc. Also make sure to bring along the socks you intend to use, and where possible go in the afternoon after being on your feet all day so your feet are at their largest.
Mountain Rocket

Return to Tasmania