Mt Anne circuit

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Anne circuit

Postby Spoke » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi

I'm wanting to do Mt Anne circuit on this coming long weekend but looks like I'll be doing it solo now. I have a good bit of info on the walk but what is the best book/website to gain further info?
Does anyone have any tips or advice for the circuit?
Spoke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Anne circuit

Postby msw » Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:24 pm

The best book notes are the John Chapman - South West Tasmania notes. The latest version has colour photos and detailed notes.

The elevated areas are very exposed, so don't bother going unless the weather forecast is settled & preferably fine to get the most out of the great views.

I suggest doing the trip starting from Condominium Creek and finishing at the Red Tape Creek end because it is easier to go down from near Mt Sarah Jane towards Lake Judd than go up that track.

If you do it by yourself, I suggest you leave a bike in the bush near the finish at Red Tape Creek before returning to Condominium Creek to head up Mt Eliza. The bike ride at the end is 8.5km from the finish to the start point on a gravel road.

There are some youtube videos of the circuit to get an idea of what to expect.

Have a safe & enjoyable trip.

from matt.
msw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Spoke » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 6:15 am

Thanks Matt

Fingers crossed the weather is spot on. Is camping on the summit an option?
Spoke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Spoke » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 6:15 am

Oh and is there much water up there or do I need to carry enough in until I get to the lake?
Spoke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 7:02 am

Spoke wrote:Thanks Matt

Fingers crossed the weather is spot on. Is camping on the summit an option?

Not on the summit, but shelf camp has a brilliant view of the summit.

Spoke wrote:Oh and is there much water up there or do I need to carry enough in until I get to the lake?

Fill up at the tank on the hut half way up Mt Eliza, and there's tarns at shelf camp.

It does sound a bit like you haven't read much about the walk yet, there's heaps of blogs online.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Geevesy » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 10:09 am

msw wrote:I suggest doing the trip starting from Condominium Creek and finishing at the Red Tape Creek end because it is easier to go down from near Mt Sarah Jane towards Lake Judd than go up that track.

If you do it by yourself, I suggest you leave a bike in the bush near the finish at Red Tape Creek before returning to Condominium Creek to head up Mt Eliza. The bike ride at the end is 8.5km from the finish to the start point on a gravel

I did this trip a few years ago solo, and went the other direction. Despite it not being the normal way to go, I actually prefer travelling in this direction, because the summit is attained towards the end of the walk rather than the start, so I think you get a nice appreciation of the peak from the various angles before summiting. Going up Sarah Jane isn't so bad, and the views to the mountain as you traverse Mt Lot are incredible.

I also found that travelling solo, there is a higher chance of meeting walkers doing a return trip to the summit from Condominium Creek, so I managed to get a lift back to the car with them instead of walking/riding.
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Spoke » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks Casualnerd. Your right I don't know too much about the walk but have some books to read tonight. I have noticed this site is great for getting decent advice so I decided to sign up yesterday and give it a try. So thank you for responding people and Greevesy that direction in something I shall concider whilst doing research :-)
Spoke
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Scottyk » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 6:46 am

I've done it once solo and twice with others. All ways in the conventional direction.
The hardest bit is from Shelf camp to Lonely Tarns and there is no water on this section so fill up before you proceed onto it.
I took a rope to haul my pack and used it coming out of The Notch. I didn't find this too hard but I usually go ok with basic rock climbing.
Don't bother if the weather looks nasty. It's a very exposed range and getting stuck out in the open when a cold front passes could be the last mistake you make!
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby rodb2013 » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 10:23 pm

All of the above are spot on feedback. Shelf Camp is one of the best spots to camp, but there are only 2 or 3 tent spots so if you look down and see tents probably need to find somewhere else and might need to back track. Start early in the day for the Notch and to get down to Lonely Tarns. There is an easy way down to the Notch so keep looking until you see it. Up the Notch, lean left for a nice hand hold then easily done. Best camp on Lonely Tarns is way down at the outlet below the rise up to Mt Sarah Jane (hopefully that is the right name as it's been a year or so). We had 5 hours of mud out the bottom to Red Tape Creek. Absolutely great hike. We didn't attempt Mt Anne has clouded in at the time, but Mt Lot was superb. The photos of the route look a lot harder than it is. However, we had great weather and it would be very challenging in bad weather. I would also back track from Mt Lot rather than complete the circuit as that mud slog is a killer. We wondered if you could skirt the south end of Judd and back up to high hut and down the track. If we do it again we will probably give that route finding a bash. Enjoy.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:36 am

rodb2013 wrote:We wondered if you could skirt the south end of Judd and back up to high hut and down the track. If we do it again we will probably give that route finding a bash.

From memory, a small group once accidentally got onto a similar route from the top (maybe more from the Lot area) and had a very, very difficult time. It was in a trip report somewhere on this forum, I think. Lot of scrub, extremely hard finding a way through etc. I would not recommend it just to avoid the mud on the Anne Plains.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania