Advice for adding Walls of Jerusalem off Overland Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Advice for adding Walls of Jerusalem off Overland Track

Postby Wired » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:38 am

I'm looking to add in a lollipop loop of Walls of Jerusalem from the Overland Track taking the Chapman route from Hartnett Falls to Lake Adelaide to Dixons Kingdom. From there the Jerusalem Track past Solomons Jewels and Lake Loane down the Junction Lake Track back to Lake Adelaide. My question is if this route is still ok after hearing about damage in that area? Also, would that loop hit the highlights I'd want to see in WOJ or are there side trips (like Mt Jerusalem) that should be hit. I am just wanting to sweep through there, but don't want to come out and hear that I missed something major while in there. Just not aware of the main sites to hit in Walls of Jerusalem and if the loop I have planned is sufficient?

We are comfortable with 40-50km days on good terrain and hike full days. We think 3 days is plenty to do this loop. Anyone aware of areas in that loop that would be slow going?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Advice for adding Walls of Jerusalem off Overland Track

Postby philm » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:57 am

We have walked this area a reasonable amount. The route from Harnett Falls to Junction Lake is through the never never. Depending on time of year the route is not hard but navigation can be a challenge (not that you get lost but there is no real tracks). The main challenge is water and crossing the Mersey especially if there is a strong flow and lot of water around. There are several crossing possibilities and many of them are discussed on this forum. Let me know if you need more details.
The alternative route from the Overland to the Walls is up at DuCane gap (Gatepost track) and over the Traveller (off track). I prefer this route as it is high, better views. You can them camp at Lake Artemis (one of the best camps in the area) then there is a fairly well marked track to Junction Lake Hut.

On our trip the timings were approximately:

Windy Ridge to Lake Artemis - 11 hours (big day and we found some tough scrub) - from this camp you can climb up to the Mountains of Jupiter (again a magic spot)
Lake Artemis to Lake Meston (about 5 hours from memory) - one of the best camps is at northern end of the lake (nice beach)
Lake Meston to Dixons Kingdom - about 6 hours
We then stayed at Dixon's for 2 nights and did the side trips - King Solomons Throne, Mt Jerusalem etc.

I understand the tracks within the Walls are fine it is just the access to the park from the Mersey Forest Road which is closed at present - others may have more up to date info.

I would suggest perhaps a loop from the Overland track depending on how much time you have perhaps into the Walls via the Never Never then back over the Traveller Range.

You will need to be comfortable with off-track walking and have reasonable navigation skills between the Overland and the Walls.

I would be surprised if you are able to do 40-50 km days in this area particularly in the off track sections. Also if you want to see anything you may want to slow down!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Wired » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 9:02 am

Thank you so much for that detailed answer. This helps greatly. I only listed the 40-50km range to give an idea of our fitness level and ability at this moment, but we aren't planning to need to do that. Just a reference for those to know our abilities and comfort in what they suggest. Thank you for the info. Looking forward to it for sure! We wanted to know mainly if we should plan in those side trips you mentioned and it seems you are recommending them.
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 4:16 pm

philm wrote:I would suggest perhaps a loop from the Overland track depending on how much time you have perhaps into the Walls via the Never Never then back over the Traveller Range.

^^ This. Could go to the walls via the never never, meston, Adelaide, Loane and in through herods gate, then back from dixons kingdom via chinamans plains, mtns of Jupiter, Traveller Range. The only part of the OLT you would miss is the Hartnett turnoff up to DuC gap, which isn't missing much.

In answer to your "hitting the highlights" question, I'd say so (there's plenty of other stuff, but have to draw the line somewhere). The only addition I'd make is a side trip up Mt Rogoona (from the hut at Lk Meston) if you have time.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wired » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you "fat boy" :)
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 7:24 am

It's a long way up the Mersey and along the lakes, essentially transit time with comparatively few views. To access the lake tracks involves an off track route from our busiest O/N walking trail. Are you not coming back 'Wired'? Most locals would access the WoJ separately, not far from the car. There are other side-trips and other out-back walks well worth the time/ less effective in publishing.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Wired » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 8:48 am

We have that it would only take a few hours to do that and it's worth it for us given the schedule we're on.
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rolfex » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 3:52 pm

I think Chapman says 9-10 hours for the stretch between Hartnett Falls and Dixons Kingdom, and not many people walk faster than Chapman, so there and back would be two big days. It’s only when you reach Dixons Kingdom that the best bits of the Walls begin. Don’t head back till you’ve been up Mt Jerusalem, The Temple and Solomons Throne, and been to the Pool of Bethesda. It’s also very nice to walk along the top of the West Wall from Solomons Throne to King Davids Peak.
rolfex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby weetbix456 » Thu 09 Mar, 2017 9:09 pm

If making the initial effort to go out to WOJ loop - do yourself a favour and make the most of it by giving yourself at least an extra day more than you stated.

I would say minimum of 4 days from OLT and back to properly enjoy the area. I would suggest Kia Ora (+ OLT Mersey WFalls) - Junction or Meston, J/Meston to Wild Dogs or Dixon's, WD/Dixon's - Junction, and out via whatever means you decide to Hartnett or DuCane Gap. A summit in The Walls area (King Davids or Mt Jerusalem) is a highlight that shouldn't be missed IMHO.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby ofuros » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:30 am

I'm guessing those little legs of hers are already on the track...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby norts » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:59 am

Wired started the OLT yesterday.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wired » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes, we completed the Overland yesterday with the side hiking in WOJ as well. The posts are going up on the blog over the next couple of days, but we enjoyed going through there choosing to summit Solomons Throne and Mt Jerusalem. It was a great trip and well worth the effort.
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:30 pm

Well done. I am sure you have found Tassie a lot different to NZ. Some of those tracks - the Never Never and around the lakes can get a bit tedious, and one of the best things about Tassie walking is when you work out what you can do off track. There are lots of very beautiful, very spectacular amazing places. This includes the high level traverses of the ranges in Cradle Mt - Lake St Clair National Park - and are well worth considering if you find your way back again one day.

Enjoy the rest of your Tassie walking. It will be quite different to the Overland Track.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wired » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 6:30 am

Yes, we actually found the off trail for this much more enjoyable than some of the on trail stuff in NZ, ha! But we know it's quite dry here at the moment. Still here for a few weeks hitting some of those places more off the beaten path as well.
Wired
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 5:26 pm

Yes , often boggy and the river is raging, the leech count is through the roof camping around the river, while an unspeakably beautiful area and deserving of the utmost respect, will put you smack bang amongst them. Then there's the resident bunyips.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 11:52 am

They just did the SCT in 3 days.... man they move. Not my style for sure but it definitely helps to get weather windows when you only take a few days to do what most people do in double that!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tastrekker » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 4:59 pm

Wired wrote:... My question is if this route is still ok after hearing about damage in that area? ...

I know Wired has already competed their OLT/WoJ double but no one really answered this part of the query. With so much talk about the damage from floods it's important to point out there's very little damage to the walking areas accessed by the Mersey Forest Road. The huge rainfall event was north of the Walls. The Mersey upstream from the Rowallan Dam only experienced what I'd call a normal flood. I.e. A 1 in 5 year flood based on my years of walking in the area. Therefore flood damage above Lake Rowallan is minimal.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania