Call For Help- Overland Bold eBook

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Call For Help- Overland Bold eBook

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 1:31 pm

G'day everyone,

I recently decided that I'd like to compile my Overland blogs from https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/ into an eBook and add some stuff. When I walked the OLT, we noticed a lack of enthusiasm around side trips and everyone just wanted to walk the main backbone of the track. Basically, the point of this eBook will be to show that the OLT can offer as much for a mountain-crazed adventure addict as it can be for a happy-snapping tourist that breezes through the track in four days. It's for everyone, and there's tougher stuff for those that want to test themselves. Really, what we did wasn't a big deal at all, just a few basic side trips. But it could inspire some walkers to be a little bit more adventurous on the track, safely and sensibly of course.

I plan to do a little walk profile on Cradle Mountain (from Kitchen Hut), Barn Bluff, Pelion West and Mount Ossa, all starting from their turn off from the Overland Track. Basically, I'd really like to get some little route maps for each of these profiles, and potentially of the whole Overland Track. The only thing is, I need them to be in a consistent style, for presentation purposes of course. I'm not sure how I should go about this, and if someone could assist me in obtaining these, I would be greatly appreciative.

Any ideas or feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Call For Help- Overland Bold eBook

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 2:06 pm

You can download all the data you need from the Tasmanian government's LIST (Land Information Services Tasmania) now. See their public Open Data site for downloads at: http://listdata.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/opendata/

Then you can load it up into a GIS (Geographic Information System) and style/symbolise each data layer in whatever way you like to make it into a nice map. A common free GIS is QGIS. It is a very good aplication and is available for a wide variety of operating systems: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Call For Help- Overland Bold eBook

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 2:12 pm

I use a similar method to produce most of my own maps these days (although I use Geoserver & my own Openlayers application instead of QGIS - but that's only because I like to hack around with GIS stuff as a hobby and I want my own maps available online wherever I am and because I want to be able to use them on my phone directly).

Here's a couple of examples of my maps, below. Note that my vegetation layer is derived from a Commonwealth Government raster layer, not from the LIST, and my mountain peaks layer is not from mountain peaks data, but rather the LIST nomenclature data (and it's accuracy is terrible!). I plan to replace my peaks layer with this one evenutally, but I never seem to get around to it.

Cradle.png

Barn.png

Pelion_West.png
Pelion_West.png (473.79 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

Ossa.png

Overland.png
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania