Easiest Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Easiest Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 7:57 pm

G'day,

With the Mersey Forest Road closure, I am just wondering what the easiest access to the Walls of Jerusalem would be?

Thanks,
Sam.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Easiest Access to Walls of Jerusalem

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 8:19 am

Helicopter.

For a walker, probably from Lake Ada. Track to Fanny or Antimony, then cross-country.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby greyim » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 5:49 pm

Say 4 hrs to Lk Fanny 4-5hrs to Dixons Hut +/-
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5138
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tassiewxgirl » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 12:55 pm

We just did WOJ from Lake Ada at the start of March. While we were registering at Liawenee we spoke to a ranger and he suggested we go in by heading up Powena Creek after we reached Lake Fanny. I had thought about free-lancing it over Pine Tier to Lake Ball but it was our first time in from that side so we went for Powena. AS we passed the TO to Lake Antimony we met a couple who were on their way out; they hated the Powena route and suggested Ball via Antimony was much nicer. We did Powena anyway and it was a doddle, I can only think they headed too far east. We followed the western side of the valley and there were either cairns or bootprints to follow-not that you need them because the way forward is so obvious. And the entry through Zion Gate in the late afternoon light was just fab! Anyway, two days later we met three guys at Dixons and we chatted about our routes in; they had come via Ball and were curious about the Powena route. They then said they had met four groups on the walk, two groups liked Powena and two Antimony/Ball!? One bushwalker's scroggin is another's breakfast I guess...

The hilltop views are nice, but the pencil pine forests are amazing! And the creeks gurgling in the grass beneath your feet...!
tassiewxgirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby mikeb » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 1:27 pm

From the bottom of Lake Fanny, we followed pads up eastern side of the lake, which seemed to peter out around the top of the lake. After a bit of a scrub bash along the eastern side of Powena Creek, we crossed over to the western side and picked up a clearer route, which was cairned in places - particularly heading into Zion Gate. Arrived Dixon's early afternoon.

From Dixon's, we took the direct route up and over Great Pine Tier then followed the strings of lakes back towards Fanny. We followed the ridge between the lakes, which was pretty trackless apart from a faint pad here or there. There were a few cairns around the end of the lakes and aerial photos suggest this might be the continuation of a more developed pad along the southern side of the lakes, possibly continuing all the way down to Fanny. We lost track of it anyway and ended up with a short scrub bash down through the forest to Fanny. Left Dixons around Midday and arrived at Fanny around 5PM.

As others have commented, plenty of great campsites at Lake Fanny - our favourite was the clearing in the trees next to the lake. Look out for the amazing tree growing out of a hairline crack in the big boulder.
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby monte » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 2:29 pm

Heart jumped a bit until I realised this is a really old thread and it's been open again for a year and a half ;-)
monte
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr

Return to Tasmania