Pine Valley Area

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pine Valley Area

Postby taswegian92 » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 7:34 pm

Ok, so I'm staying two nights at Pine Valley hut and was wondering...
a) How long does it take to get from Narcissus to pine valley hut? (in Km)
b) Is there plenty of tent platforms?
c) How long does it take to walk to Labyrinth? (time and km)
d) How steep is steep on the Labyrinth, everyone seems to have differing opinions, medium or hard? Vertical or steep steps?

thank you
Declan :D
taswegian92
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pine Valley Area

Postby bushwalker zane » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:37 am

I was up there last week. Beautiful area :)

a.) About 10km. I'd say anywhere from 2-4 hours walking.
b.) Yep! Enough for approximately 10 tents on the platforms. Brand spanking new ones, too!
c.) Let's say to Lake Elysia. That lake sits about 4km on good track from Pine Valley Hut. 1.5-3 hours one way, I'd say!
d.) It's steep I guess. But it really depends on your fitness and experience level! I personally don't find it hard, but I imagine some would struggle. Have a bash, take it slow if need be, and enjoy it!

Have fun,
Zane :)
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 2:17 pm

Based on my GPS track log recorded with a family in tow (including a 14yrs old) and full packs,

a) 10.3km, took us 4:30 with breaks and going in the downhill direction Pine Valley to Narcissus. The uphill track took us 6 hours with lots of photo and snack breaks so may not be relevant pending your approach.
b) Not in Dec 2014 but for the helipad. Sounds like they installed more since. We were late to the location but still found a good clearing for our tent during peak season.
c) We turned back at the middle of Lake Ophion and was 4.8km from Pine Valley. So for Lake Elysia, add another 1km in track distance. We were sightseeing and exploring and took us 8 hrs return.
d) I don't recall really steep bits apart from a short section well before reaching plateau of the Labrynth where one has to climb up a coarse creek bed. That was on the steep end made worse by the running water (slippery). Not difficult but just had to be really careful with one's footwork.

Hope this helps.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:12 pm

Hey Declan,

Drill into this map if you haven't already: http://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map
There's a ruler under 'map tools' and a bunch of other options inc print out. Navigation can get a bit tricky up there.

bushwalker zane wrote: b.) Yep! Enough for approximately 10 tents on the platforms. Brand spanking new ones, too!

Ha, goodO !
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Suz » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 7:19 pm

I was there a couple weeks ago. I agree with Zane on all points but will clarify the steepness...the first 60 mins or so from pine valley up towards the labyrinth is steep - then after that it flat for say 10-15 mins, then a 15 min descent, then it's pretty flat all the way to lake Elysia (which is about another 45 mins.

Anyhow, it's really great and I hope you get good weather for it... It's tied for 1st place with Cape Pillar on my tassie trip so far.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Tasmania