Pieman Heads - Lagoon River - Mt Sunday - Mt Hadmar

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pieman Heads - Lagoon River - Mt Sunday - Mt Hadmar

Postby Osik » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 8:00 pm

Good evening all
Currently thinking of undertaking a walk roughly following this route over Easter. I'd leave a car at Corrinna and then either hitch back down the Western Explorer or alternatively stash a mountain bike at the Mt Edith access point on the road. I've Phill Pullinger's latest Tarkine guide which is great but would love to hear from anyone who has walked this route (or part of it). I've done a fair bit of off-track walking in Tassie but not so much at the coastal and lower altitudes present here.
Given the sensitive nature of much of the area, please PM me any detailed information. Thanks!

(Edited to remove bit about interview river as I've just found photographs - looks like an easy swim/wade at low flows with care to be taken if it's flowing at a decent rate).
Last edited by Osik on Wed 05 Apr, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Pieman Heads - Lagoon River - Mt Sunday - Mt Hadmar

Postby gayet » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 7:59 am

Glad you found that. I was getting confused as I couldn't recall any need for swimming or paddling across the river. I've only been in the area twice but could not recall any concerns about the Interview being difficult to cross...

Like all of the crossings along the coast, recent heavy rain will alter the conditions greatly. Pick your time and tide and watch out for quick sand sort of spots.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby doogs » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 9:44 am

The 'Tarkine in Motion' project is taking place over the Easter weekend, you may be able to organise a lift with someone involved. They have a Tarkine in Motion Facebook page which is your best place to look for a lift and a few folk on there have a good knowledge of the area that you are interested in visiting, in turn I am sure they would love you to share your experiences of your adventure. Good luck, have fun, it sounds like a great trip that you have planned :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 11:57 am

G'day Osik,

Good on you for taking on the Tarkine. The arts project I'm helping to organise that doogs has mentioned will be on then, and we will have artists on the coast in that area and also daywalking Mt Edith at various times.
We have a camp at the Frankland River that would welcome curious travellers :) I'll PM you some details on the walk you propose and my number should you wish to be involved in the project.

Cheers, Dan

PS The Interview River can be uncrossable in the wrong conditions. It's fine now after a very dry end to summer, start to Autumn.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Osik » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks all for your replies. I was originally inspired to do the walk after having a yarn with Bob about his walk with Paul years ago. The gorgeous photographs in Phill's book only made me more inspired to do a different walk out of the mountains.
Dan, thanks for your PM. I'll send you a reply tonight!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby melinda » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:38 pm

Heh there Osik, I did this walk in Feb, but in the reverse direction.
Western Explorer - Mt Edith - Mt Hadmar - Mt Sunday - coastal plains - Tarkine Coast just north of Interview River - Pieman Heads. Will send you a message! :)
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Region: New South Wales

Postby melinda » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:48 pm

Osik,
A few photos:
Approaching Hadmar from the west, bit scrubby, but pretty easy.JPG
Approaching Hadmar from the west, bit scrubby, but pretty easy.JPG (26.23 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

Descent off Hadmar, if you look close you can make out 4 people caught up in that scrub.JPG
Descent off Hadmar, if you look close you can make out 4 people caught up in that scrub.JPG (49.98 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

Coastal plains. Looking back to Norfolk Range and Mt Sunday from the SW.JPG
Coastal plains. Looking back to Norfolk Range and Mt Sunday from the SW.JPG (11.96 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

One very relieved leader ... picking up old road that took us to the coast.JPG
One very relieved leader ... picking up old road that took us to the coast.JPG (15.31 KiB) Viewed 6463 times

Hope this helps :)
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania