Safe to walk in duck hunting season in the GW Tiers?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Safe to walk in duck hunting season in the GW Tiers?

Postby Tortoise » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 1:09 pm

Hopefully there's a simple answer here. Is duck hunting season safe for walkers/is the area I want to go to safe?

I want to go (among other nearby places) to Parson and Clerk, NE of Arthurs Lake, from the Gunns Marsh Rd. I've gone in lots of circles trying to figure out/find out if I'm likely to be shot at or not. DPIPWI says 'probably not', but aren't sure. They don't know if it's an area where shooting is permitted or not, or if duck hunting season is a problem at all or not.

Field officers probably know, but are hard to contact. Is it just deer hunting season that's the issue? Presumably, even if duck hunting is allowed in the area, they'd be shooting into the air, not the scrub.

Thanks very much for any info.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Safe to walk in duck hunting season in the GW Tiers?

Postby Rick » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 7:52 pm

Not sure when you plan to go in there but Gunns Marsh Rd will be closed at the highway due to the end of the brown trout season. The season closes on 30th April.

If you plan to walk the road I would be very confident you wouldn't encounter any shooters, unless they take another route that I am unaware of.
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 8:47 pm

Rick wrote:Not sure when you plan to go in there but Gunns Marsh Rd will be closed at the highway due to the end of the brown trout season. The season closes on 30th April.

If you plan to walk the road I would be very confident you wouldn't encounter any shooters, unless they take another route that I am unaware of.

Sorry I'm a bit slow, Rick. Do you mean the road is closed until 30th April, or after that?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rick » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 8:52 pm

Brown trout season closes on the 30th so I would say the gate will be locked on May 1st.

You could always mountain bike in there but the Inland Fisheries Service would get suspicious if they saw your car parked there. The creeks will be starting to attract spawning trout.
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 9:07 pm

Rick wrote:Brown trout season closes on the 30th so I would say the gate will be locked on May 1st.

You could always mountain bike in there but the Inland Fisheries Service would get suspicious if they saw your car parked there. The creeks will be starting to attract spawning trout.

Thanks, Rick. Planning on going before then, so we should be right. :-) Appreciate your input a lot, though. I hadn't even thought of road closures due to non-fishing season! I'll need to keep that in mind for other Hydro-land-access walks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rick » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:18 pm

I don't think it's a popular area for duck shooters. Deer season is closed but wallaby is still open. You would be unlucky.

Just keep your head down :D
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania