Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Black Creek unamed waterfall

Fri 07 Aug, 2009 10:51 pm

Another water fall or more likely cascades not on your master waterfall list can be found approximately here -41.1836333 147.7842667 on Black Creek. We have visited a couple of times recently. If you are into geocaching this link will give you the coordinates http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC10VVW, we are shazcol on geocaching. The third falls are quite nice falling between large granite sides and the second cascades over at least 3 levels. although reasonably small they are quite pleasant when flowing and a nice side trip to fill in part of a day. I suspect more can be found exploring down further for the those into bush bashing along the creek.

A local who we ran into at the tin center in Derby cut the unofficial track to them off the forestry spur track. Easy to find and only about 300M from track start. Well marked all the way with tape. A massive granite boulder just near falls is an interesting feature. Take the other blue tape marked side tracks and also up over the hill at the plastic bag tied on the tree to the second and third cascades (falls?). The list maps just have a small white area on the them and no markings at all.

You can see the track start about 3/4 up the spur road and the falls area clearly visible near the marker:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=-41.1836333+147.7842667&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=67.332883,69.873047&ie=UTF8&ll=-41.183616,147.782893&spn=0.003593,0.006309&t=h&z=18

To get to the start of the track travel (from Launceston) to Branxholm and turn right onto Mount Paris Dam Road just before the cemetery, travel approx 3.4km till a track on the left side of the road is found. Either park here or drive up the track a short distance to the start of the marked track. Look for some white tape on a tree and a very overgrown gap in the thick scrub. Walk into the scrub at the white tape marker and soon you will come to the blue tape marked track start on your right, easy to follow from here.

Happy water fall bagging, something I enjoy also.
Colin.
Attachments
Cascade1.jpg
Up over the hill past plastic bag in tree
Cascade1.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Cascade2.jpg
An interesting water worn hole below these.
Cascade2.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Cascade3.jpg
Down the hill to the left of the large granite boulder.
Cascade3.jpg (98.91 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Re: Black Creek unamed waterfall

Fri 07 Aug, 2009 11:14 pm

Col wrote:Another water fall or more likely cascades not on your master waterfall...
Is Now! :wink: Thanks for that Col. Looks like a good spot to take a few photos.

Sun 09 Aug, 2009 12:23 pm

thanks col ive been to mt paris dam a few times, my father caught a three pound trout in a small waterhole just below the dam, ive also come across some very large tiger snakes in that area so look out for those moving sticks.

Sat 26 Jan, 2013 7:45 pm

Made the walk into these today , amazing place , directions were spot on and the track is well marked .. highly recommend people see these :)

Tue 29 Jan, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Shazcol.. I've been trying to find out info on these falls/cascades for ages! They look like the "Black Rivulet Falls" to me, but I've never actually been in to these ones.
The position your coords gave is almost spot on a visually rocky watery area on Google Earth. The List of Tasmanian Falls shows a falls at this location called "Black Rivulet".
It's one of many on my list to do next time I'm over in Tassie. Now we can approach it with much more confidence. Cheers.
Post a reply