Current access to Cattley, Loongana Range or Everett?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Current access to Cattley, Loongana Range or Everett?

Postby Tortoise » Sat 13 May, 2017 8:56 pm

Hoping to make the acquaintance of another local-ish peak on Monday, and these are 3 options. Does anybody have up-to-date info on access? What with roads and bridges washed out by the floods last year, plus forestry and private logging company gates and activities, I'm not sure what's possible at the moment. Ta muchly for any info.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Current access to Cattley, Loongana Range or Everett?

Postby Davo1 » Sun 14 May, 2017 7:41 am

You might have a battle with access some as a lot of gates have been locked and bridges removed or big pits dug across the roads.
The boom gate on Loongana Rd is usually locked these days.

A lot of the roads the roads into Cattley have been blocked in one form or another, I haven't checked them all though.

Everett should be accessible if you go in past Lake Kara on Blythe road and take the turn off that goes south of Mt Housetop(nice short climb to the top from Black Creek Rd), from here you should be able to access Dispute Rd (joins Everett track) but I must say last time I was this way it was starting to get overgrown.
I was going to try and walk the road along Laurel Creek (vehicle access prevented at Loyatea Rd junction)as it looked like a reasonable alternative.

If you have a 4wd then Dispute Rd can also be accessed from the Loyatea side (as a precaution take a chainsaw)

If accessible thru boom gate then Jaffrays Rd off Blythe would be a good alternative as this used to link up with the Everett track as well.

That's about as much as I can help with and I hope no extra boom gates have been installed or closed (it's possible)

Good luck and I would go and do some serious rec work before committing as it could save you a lot of time.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Sun 14 May, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks very much for all that, Davo.
I did visit Housetop a few years ago - should have done some others then too! Whereabouts is the Loongana Rd boom gate, out of interest?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Sun 14 May, 2017 7:04 pm

Not far past McHughs Flats.
Just past the last private driveway on your right as you go up the hill.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Sun 14 May, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania