Byatts Razorback access

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Byatts Razorback access

Postby Tortoise » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:46 pm

Hoping to visit Byatts Razorback in a couple of days. Does anybody know about current access - washed out bridges from last winter etc?
Not sure if Naturelover's route from the south is the usual approach or not. As I also want to visit West Tower, I'm wondering if O'Tooles & Foothill Rds might be patent, for a short drive (and steeper approach) to Byatts from there. I've got an old Forester, and I'm not an adventurous driver.
Thanks very much for any thoughts. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Byatts Razorback access

Postby Azza » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 12:25 pm

I took a 2wd Honda Jazz up there last year - no problems.
Byatts is literally just around the corner/hill from where you access East/West Tower - O'Tooles road.
I went around and accessed it from the South the road was in really good condition and higher up than the Northern side.

As for west tower - I tried to head up Fonthill Road from Byatts/O'Tooles at the southern side and ended up turning around at a creek.
The road wasn't in good condition, pretty mushy and there was an old chain gate that I could have gotten across - If I had my Subaru I would have persisted.

So I went up East Tower and did the traditional Abels route across to West Tower.
Fonthill road looks in good condition looking down from West Tower - so I reckon you can get around from the northern side.

Also of interest on West Tower I found a well taped route heading off to the North / NE down towards Fonthill Road - so I reckon there is a route up from there.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 12.22.02 PM.png
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 8:37 am

Azza wrote:Also of interest on West Tower I found a well taped route heading off to the North / NE down towards Fonthill Road - so I reckon there is a route up from there.

Yeah, I saw that as well. So frustrating running into something like that after doing the walk the harder way.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby doogs » Fri 09 Jun, 2017 4:03 pm

When I did these two together I took my bike and rode between them along O'Tooles road. That was about 5 years ago so can't really help with current conditions..
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania