Lady lake winter day hike gear

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lady lake winter day hike gear

Postby sth_for_wintr » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi all. I'm going to pop up to Lady Lake via Higgs Track in a fortnight. Do I need a GPS and a PLB? Should I take an emergency tarp? This will be my first Central Plateau walk, and I just want to be smart about it, even if it's only a couple of hours. Indeed, it might be that y'all recommend I should _always_ pack these things? Thanks for the advise!
sth_for_wintr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Lady lake winter day hike gear

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:43 pm

Well you should always take appropriate clothing for the conditions plus extras for just in case.
I never go anywhere these days without the 10 Essentials.
I do not know the area but if it is a day walk a GPS and/or a screamer seems excessive
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sth_for_wintr » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks, Moondog. Yep, appropriate clothing, layers, extras, first aid kit. I totally agree. Maybe you've got a link to the The 10 Essentials?

Yes, I do wonder if it's excessive, but it's the CP in late winter, so thought I'd ask *just in case*.
sth_for_wintr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 1:38 pm

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... tials.html
Enough of the stuff so you can shelter or get home without getting dead
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby teak » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 3:06 pm

The walk to Lady Lake is mostly in forest so fairly sheltered, you only cross a couple of hundred metres of exposed plateau to the hut. If you take waterproofs, warm clothing and a mobile phone that should be enough. I have included photos of the hut, it is a nice place for lunch if the weather is poor. If you intend taking your dog you will need a companion dog permit from the Western Tiers depot of National Parks, phone 0367012104.
Attachments
IMGP5859.jpg
IMGP5865.jpg
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby sth_for_wintr » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks so much, teak! Perfect. And yep, I've already spoken with PWS Companion Dog Permit - thanks for the information.
sth_for_wintr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 6:59 pm

I've been there in snow and a white out - maybe 5m visibility. 250m from the where the track pops out on the plateau to the hut, with no pad, and not being familiar with it - I don't reckon the weight of a GPS in a day pack is a biggie. I take one anyway. Likewise, my PLB lives in my day pack - if I happened to break my ankle in a spot that doesn't have mobile reception, I'd be annoyed that my PLB was sitting in the box at home.
Worth a meander around the lake. Enjoy!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Melby101 » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 12:07 am

I did Higgs track yesterday for the second time. It was a lovely clear day, what a view! with very small patches of snow around, not much wind, only around the corner to the lake. We spend a good part of the day up there. I was very well prepared this time as the first time I did this walk was last spring and a very different day for weather, we were soaking wet and even though sweating on the way up we were literally in the clouds and very cold in the howling wind once we reached the exposed plateau. luckily one of the party knew where the hut was as it wasn't visible in the heavy cloud. It's a great walk, just bring some dry clothes and pick your day.
Melby101
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania