Documentary on Federation Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Documentary on Federation Peak

Postby Overlandman » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 1:55 pm

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-30/f ... ry/8754688

Federation Peak: First ascent of Australia's 'only real mountain' in winter via Blade Ridge

Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Documentary on Federation Peak

Postby LoaferBread » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 6:58 pm

Does anyone know a potential release/screening date?
I can't wait to see it.
LoaferBread
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 8:02 pm

Early September release, from memory.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby pazzar » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 10:26 am

Premiere is in Hobart on September 28th. You can get a copy of the film by donating to the teams crowdfunding page - pozible.com/project/winter-on-the-blade
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 6:05 pm

Did they really need a food drop, did they have to use a drone..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 9:15 pm

Nuts wrote:Did they really need a food drop, did they have to use a drone..

To support the number of people they needed, for long enough at that time of year, the food drop made sense given that when the crew went in they had to carry all the rest of their equipment. If they hadn't done the food drop they'd have had to go in twice anyway to stash the climbing and filming equipment.
The purpose was to film the attempt, not just to do the climb. The drone was an indispensible part of the filming equipment.

What is your problem with it? They hauled out all their rubbish, they're all experienced at minimal impact walking and camping. It's not like they did any damage. Or do you just disapprove of them publicising the place on principle?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnR » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 11:57 am

I am not passing judgement on this, but if it did involve aerial drops then it would be good to get an explanation as to what that involved. Did they get a permit (or some other form of approval) to do it? How much material was dropped, what were the number of drops and by what means did the drops occur? Were there any drops onto Bechervaise Plateau itself or was it just lowered onto the tent platform area?

I cannot see any problem with the drone at that time of the year. Perhaps potentially more of an issue in the summer months when other parties are there trying to enjoy the place.

Looking forward to seeing the film.

Cheers,
JohnR
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Lizzy » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12:25 pm

I think they carried the drops in... but I could be wrong
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 12:37 pm

(NNW)

'Minimal Impact' just has to start at park boundaries. The test being that if some action isn't sustainable for everyone then it's not by anyone.

There's been an official position on food drops for a long time, it's starting for drones (with regulation above Dove Lake). Do we really need our hands held into another tier of regulation, dismiss those actions which can't easily be regulated. Make excuses leveraged on some need to promote such areas (which I can accept may even seem idealistic to those involved). But does it really matter if a group lobbies for 'official' permission for food drops and drone footage if the outcome is the same. After the accolades have died down, the result could be 'a vote for wild places' or, more likely, released to the world, a growing host of food-droppers and droners planning to take advantage of our parks for their own personal moment in the sun.

I doubt it helps but I acknowledge, and have heard, they may be OK 'fellas' who most likely took care to clean up. Despite youth (and being climbers), they may even have some measure of (altruistic) foresight & acceptance of the responsibility for public interest in mind during editing.

Anyhow.. they weren't really questions, and not really designed to cause upset. Like always, firmly in place as one of many owner-users, I feel the responsibility to mention such things. Dread the day when any 'incursion' is plain sailing. I will be watching too.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 3:54 pm

Lizzy wrote:I think they carried the drops in... but I could be wrong

Yes - it clearly states that some of the party carried in the food and some of the camera gear (eg tripod) earlier in the season. They say the food had to be stored in rodent proof drums.

Drones are not generally permitted in Tasmanian national parks as far as I know, unless written permission is granted. I assume this is the case here. The alternative - to use a helicopter would be more expensive and much more intrusive.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 4:10 pm

We will see but I think they wanted to do it right and do it well and good on them for that. The amount of rubbish I see around the place, I wouldn't be worried. Hopefully they go into some discussion about Minimal Impact. Also haven't had any problems with drones yet but I can see it coming.
Lets just hope it doesn't start a craze of ill-prepared, inexperienced glory seekers showing up and trashing the place.
Can't wait to see it even though I have no intention of doing anything like what I've seen in the shorts.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 5:11 pm

The gear and food was all carried in by hand. There was definitely some permits required for the drone. No helicopter.

A bunch of conscientious local walkers go and make a film that celebrates a beautiful part of the state, why would they do anything to damage the environment while they were there ? There's been some interesting reactions on facebook too.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Singe » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 5:43 pm

If you're worried about experienced walkers hoofing in food drops and filming a documentary and not the Instagram hordes, you're worrying about the wrong thing.

If anything, I'd expect this kinda docco to put off the inexperienced and unprepared - but then there's no accounting for the sheer stupidity, erm, enthusiasm, of some people.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 6:00 pm

CasualNerd wrote:The gear and food was all carried in by hand.

You'd think it would have been easier to do it by foot . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 7:31 pm

north-north-west wrote:
CasualNerd wrote:The gear and food was all carried in by hand.

You'd think it would have been easier to do it by foot . . .

In packs even !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GTL » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 10:16 pm

Awesome stuff. Inspirational!
GTL
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby beardless » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:54 pm

I am pretty excited by this film. I think it is a remarkable achievement by the climbers and the filmakers.

By the way, there are multiple recent articles and sites which suggest Sir Edmund Hillary described Federation Peak as "Australia's only real mountain". Other sites paraphrase him as saying Federation Peak is "only mountain in Australia worth climbing". I am interested in knowing whether there is any contemporaneous source or reference for these quotes; or whether it is more legend than truth.

There are photos of Sir Edmund Hillary in South-West Tasmania https://www.flickr.com/photos/tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice/8302161892/in/photostream/.

Also a book Jack Thwaites: Pioneer Tasmanian Bushwalker & Conservationist by Simon Kleinig indicates (at Chapter 22 titled South West With Hillary) that Sir Hillary flew over South West Tasmania in 1959 and then came back for some walking in 1960.

The book refers to a 15 days of walking in the South-West and that on a preliminary flight to the South-West, the pilot "flew them close by the spectacular rock faces of Federation Peak".

It also quotes Hillary after the walk(page 180):

"The South-West of Tasmania provides one of the finest walking areas I have ever seen. It is a vast area with beautiful scenery. You see no one, it has plenty of firewood and water. The terrain makes for hard work sometimes, but its not particularly dangerous."

Interestingly, there is an account of them descending Mt Hayes and climbing Procyon Peak before descending near what is now Morraine E, in the Western Arthurs.
https://books.google.com.au/booksid=LgYJ2hQyosIC&lpg=PT99&ots=r3Y5O0p2D4&dq=Edmund%20Hillary%20tasmania&pg=PT101#v=onepage&q=Edmund%20Hillary%20tasmania%20federation&f=false
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Channas » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 3:58 pm

I was planning the exact same expedition for a 2 years. We supposed to climb Blade ridge and North west face the last year, but bailed since some injuries of my team members, me included. I didn't want to give up completely so I packed my backpack and went on my own to hike the full traverse of Western and Eastern Arthurs Range and ascent of Federation peak from South West side. It was so sketchy! Anyway, the whole traverse was probably the toughest thing I've ever done in my life and I was really glad we bailed on that climb. Later I found that traverse is the most difficult hike in Australia. Can you imagine hike through part of it, in the horrendous weather and mad with all the gear, and climb on trad in constant rain etc. Big respect to these guys and I can't wait to see their movie! Speaking of that here is the movie from my trip to get an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BawLXTVqb3s&t=10s
Channas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Thylaseen » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 12:19 pm

World Premiere, and Encore sessions sold out in very short time:

http://www.statecinema.com.au/Movie/Winter-On-The-Blade-Encore-Screening

I have contacted the cinema and no current plans for another session. I would have thought a lot of people would like to see this (more than two sessions).

Any way to encourage the cinema or film producers to put some more sessions on?
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stepbystep » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 12:27 pm

I saw an early edit of the film a while back, looking forward to seeing the final cut at the premiere. The filmmakers have used some of my file vision from the area :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thylaseen » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 2:26 pm

Not many will see it unless some more sessions are scheduled.
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stepbystep » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 2:34 pm

I suspect the producers will be releasing in a targeted way to maximise opportunities for film festivals / competitions. As those opportunities diminish a wider release will occur I imagine.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andyszollosi » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 6:27 pm

Some answers to some questions on this thread:

Did we really need a food drop?
Yes.
A team of 12 of us walked out to Bechervaise Plateau to drop over 100kg of food, fuel, climbing and photography gear. Each of our packs weighed between 30-40kgs on this trip. This mission took 5 days and took place two months before our actual expedition to climb Blade Ridge. This expedition played out in June/July 2017 and took 17 days. We had provisioned 14 days of food.

- Did we need a drone?
I'll let the audience be the judge on this. We had the appropriate permits from Parks and we flew the drone with respect to the wildlife (ie: wedge tailed eagles) of the area. Also, there didn't seem to be any other park users around Federation Peak in the middle of the wettest winter on record, so we didn't disturb any persons, either. ;)

-Is the film going to keep screening in Hobart?
Perhaps. This is a current discussion we are having with the State Cinema. Will keep you posted how this develops.

The film will also screen a bit later this year, on the 'mainland'. Again, I'll keep you all in the loop.

Thanks for the support, and I hope everyone who is interested will have a chance to see our film, Winter on the Blade.

-Andy Szollosi
Last edited by andyszollosi on Sat 23 Sep, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyszollosi
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 7:18 pm

Any chance of it screening in the NW?? :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thylaseen » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks Andy, it would be great to see the film 'on the big screen'.
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Orion » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:29 am

I would happily pay to see it in Hobart. I'll be visiting Dec 2017 / Jan 2018. It would be great to find it on screen then.
Or I'd buy a DVD if I could.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Nuts » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 10:18 pm

andyszollosi wrote:Some answers to some questions on this thread:

Did we really need a food drop?
Yes.
A team of 12 of us walked out to Bechervaise Plateau to drop over 100kg of food, fuel, climbing and photography gear. Each of our packs weighed between 30-40kgs on this trip. This mission took 5 days and took place two months before our actual expedition to climb Blade Ridge. This expedition played out in June/July 2017 and took 17 days. We had provisioned 14 days of food.

- Did we need a drone?
I'll let the audience be the judge on this. We had the appropriate permits from Parks and we flew the drone with respect to the wildlife (ie: wedge tailed eagles) of the area. Also, there didn't seem to be any other park users around Federation Peak in the middle of the wettest winter on record, so we didn't disturb any persons, either. ;)

Best of luck to you. But this makes no sense. Ok to have a drop if one's gear is too heavy... or a permit if it's determined there'll be a sufficient WoW factor. Why have a policy when the circumstances can apply to anyone buying a drone or needing too much gear.

I believe this reflects the poor state of our park service at the hands of this government. Assuming you didn't have a member with a contact in the service, that is. :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania