Short walks in Deloraine area

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Short walks in Deloraine area

Postby TheNW » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 6:07 pm

Wondering if anyone knows of some short walks around the Deloraine area, aside from alum cliffs and around the river. We are in Deloraine for a few hours once a week and would like to do some wandering. We have a 2 yo that will either walk or go in a child carrier so anything too steep or exposed weatherwise is out. I was looking at lobster falls but it seems the track is a bit iffy?

Thanks
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Short walks in Deloraine area

Postby Geevesy » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 7:05 pm

Liffey Falls is a good one, lobster falls I don't remember being that iffy. Short walk up at Pine Lake if the weather is nice.
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby TheNW » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 7:20 pm

Hmm maybe the online info is outdated about lobster falls then, the few pages i looked at said the track was steep and a bit crumbly/dangerous.

Anyone been recently? Or to westmoorland falls? That can tell me what the walk is like?

Pine lake and liffey are on the list to do already ..waiting until it warms up a bit before going to far up highland lakes road from deloraine ..went up as far as the start of quamby bluff walking track the other day but wouldnt want to hit ice or snow without a 4wd
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby simonm » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 8:02 pm

Westmoreland Falls is a great walk with kids, we did it a few weeks ago and the track is in good condition. Lobster Falls is iffy with little kids. Liffey Falls from the top or bottom car park is another good one.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby TheNW » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for that simonm
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrWalker » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 8:50 am

Check Stepscape for day walks near any given area in Tasmania. Just zoom in or out to the area you want.
http://www.cowirrie.com/stepscape/

Lobster Fall has a reasonably good track until you get close to the falls, but you don't get a good view without some scrambling. I suggest not going there with a small child.
Westmorland Falls is good.
Most tracks to the south of Deloraine tend to head uphill rather steeply.

Did you explore the start of the Quamby Bluff walk. It's a pleasant walk suitable for children until you reach the scree slope, when it suddenly gets harder.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 9:25 am

Lobster falls is quite short and very easy apart from a very short section at the very end. This section is very steep and slippery/crumbly. Caution is required, but don't let that stop you.

Our two year old (at the time) walked most of the way in apart from the steep bit where she was carried. I think we carried her a bit more on the way out.

She spent a long time sitting on the rock where we placed her just staring at the falls, mesmerised. I love this photo...

IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG (125.73 KiB) Viewed 8959 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Mechanic-AL » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:01 am

IT,s not really Deloraine but if you have the time the Devils gullet walk way on the Lake Mckenzie road has been upgraded since being burnt out and I'm pretty sure it has been re-opened. . It's not a long walk and the new boardwalk would be perfect for carrying young children. The walk itself is not that interesting but the view from the lookout is one of my favourite views in Tasmania.

AL
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby teak » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 11:17 am

Devils Gullet walk was still closed last weekend and is shown as closed on Parks website.
teak

Postby TheNW » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for all the ideas .. no didnt get past the carpark for a few quick photos at quamby bluff , good to know that its quite doable as a part way walk tho.

Devils gullet was the first place i thought of but as far as i can tell its closed might go check next week if weathers ok.

Ended up going out to huntsman lake today ..way nicer than i was expecting actually - it was still and reflective and i loved it. Anyone know if your able to chuck the kayaks in in warmer weather?
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania