Looking for Easy Grade Walks in Tasmania

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for Easy Grade Walks in Tasmania

Postby AnnmarieInTas » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 6:26 pm

hi there experienced Tassie walkers

i used to love bush walking, camping and canoeing when i lived in SA years ago. moved here in 2001 and absolutely love it here!
but i live with chronic pain (17 1/2 years back and knees) therefore i can no longer do all those wonderful challenging walks that i used to love but i do enjoy being out in nature; it is my zen place to be :) So i thought who better to let me know where all the easy grade walks are than you guys and girls x

Re my physical abilities ... despite living with chronic pain for so long and my back, knees etc ... i am a physically active person and dance at least twice a week, walk my little dog on the flat and do sword fighting with larp weapons etc ... so i am active ... and sometimes i can do far more .... and sometimes i can do very little. So on my good days a gentle angle going up/down is ok ... but sometimes i need to stay on the flat ... sometimes i have to use a cane to walk and other times i am running around without it. So it all depends on the day.
AnnmarieInTas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Looking for Easy Grade Walks in Tasmania

Postby eggs » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 9:03 pm

Most flat walks would be fairly short - like Dove Lake circuit or Lake Dobson or Russell Falls.
If you are after longer walks - the Freycinet walk from the car park via Lemana Lookout to the Hazards Beach and down to the other end where the campsite is - or across the Isthmus to Wineglass Bay might be ok.
It is a little bit up and down in places and there is a short section of stairs off the beach onto the Isthmus, but you would need to avoid the route past Mt Amos.
ie it would not be a circuit. How do you go on sand?
If you are up to multi day walks - it is reasonably flat all the way down that side to Cooks Beach and probably beyond.
The walk from Waterfall Bay to Tasman Arch on the Tasman Coastal Walk is also fairly level - a slight drop down if you can arrange a car shuffle.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby MrWalker » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm

There are some nice walks along the north coast with interesting rocks at low tide, possibly more interesting than the east coast (except for Freycinet).
If you want bushwalks,the Lees paddock walk is long enough but relatively flat.
Or you can start from Lake Mackenzie and take the Blue Peaks track.
Most of the other flat walks are shorter or in the major towns.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:44 pm

It's a long way from anywhere, but the walk into Kelly Basin via the bird river on the west coast is a superb, easy, flat rainforest walk.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 1:36 pm

+1 for Lees Paddocks.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1315

The above link may provide some ideas. I can recommend Evercreech Forest Reserve, worth a look.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby stepbystep » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 1:46 pm

Walks on the Ben Lomond plateau, +1 for walks from Lake McKenzie, Hartz Peak track, walks from Big Bend on kunanyi, Lots at Mt Field(Pandani Grove always entrances), South Cape Bay perhaps?, +1 for Bird River Tk. Tarkine coastal walks like Preminghana, West Point to Arthur River(or part thereof), Arthur River to Temma(or part thereof), Friendly Beaches/Freycinet. Fly to Melaleuca and walk to Point Eric return. Bay of Fires beaches...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 1:44 pm

Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby AnnmarieInTas » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 11:57 am

thank you everyone for your replies x

i have kept a copy of your suggestions in a word doc so i can find them all again :D
AnnmarieInTas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Boromir » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 3:35 pm

MrWalker wrote:If you want bushwalks,the Lees paddock walk is long enough but relatively flat.

9 months after knee surgery here, looking to get back in to it - this sounds ideal!
(I've been doing walks around the relatively flat streets that have ended up being 7 to 8km long... :lol: )

Is there any info on this walk? Fees? How do I get the from Launceston Airport?
Boromir
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 5:35 pm

Boromir wrote:
MrWalker wrote:If you want bushwalks,the Lees paddock walk is long enough but relatively flat.

9 months after knee surgery here, looking to get back in to it - this sounds ideal!
(I've been doing walks around the relatively flat streets that have ended up being 7 to 8km long... :lol: )

Mersey Forest Rd almost to the end, the track is signposted. You'll need a Parks Pass (available online). You can search for details on the track on this forum.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MrWalker » Mon 09 Oct, 2017 6:22 pm

Boromir wrote:

We went there recently and the track was relatively wet and muddy, so it will be harder on your knees than walking flat streets.
You can visit Lewis Falls and Oxley Falls along the way. Look for small cairns or ribbons marking the track junctions - no signs to the falls. These sidetracks (400m) require more scrambling than the main track, but the falls are good.
MrWalker

Return to Tasmania