Adventurous Day Walks in the Huon Valley area.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Adventurous Day Walks in the Huon Valley area.

Postby Ringo » Wed 30 Aug, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi Folks,

I was hoping you might be able to equip me with some options for Adventurous day walks in the Huon Valley region. We've recently moved to the area and my brother in law is coming down for a visit. He'd like me to show him what Tas has to offer for the adventurous mind but he's only giving me a day to do it (one kid free day anyway).
Ideally involving a bit of scrambling/easy climbing (he's a climber), happy for some off track time, although nothing that'll put him off for good, and a peak to top the day off.
I've had a play around hartz off track and it offers some fun if you've got your blinkers on. I was thinking maybe Collins Bonnet might offer some scrambling ascent options? I've never been up there though.
Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Ringo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Adventurous Day Walks in the Huon Valley area.

Postby devoswitch » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 6:05 am

Hi Ringo,
I'm also from the Huon valley. I'm still learning the ropes of what is around my area. I'm not sure about any scambly places around really however my go to when I have visitors and don't have much time away from the kids is up Hartz and then down the ridge line and up Mt Snowy and then back via the tarns.

Or my favourite track for an adventurous visitor is up Mt Picton. Has incredible forest on the way up and gives you a great sense of completion because it's a decent walk.

Adamsons falls or Rubens falls are my waterfalls I take people to generally if they like waterfalls.

Sorry I know it's not much but I hope it helps :-)
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby pazzar » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 10:26 am

Mount Snowy South and Nevada Peak are good options. I was in the Snowy South region about a week ago, the Lake Skinner Track was a bit wet, but no issues following it. From the Lake we had to bash our way through waist deep snow to get to the ridge. There is a track there, but we couldn't follow it. Nevada Peak has a track to the plateau, then it is easy off track from there, provided you have visibility.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:22 am

Agree with Mt Picton as the pick of a very good bunch. Burgess Bluff, Nevada, Snowy Sth, Adamsons all very, very excellent runner ups! Might be moving to the Huon myself very soon 8)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ringo » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks guys,

I'll check your recommendations. Picton sounds and looks like a winner.
Snows been great lately. I was on the devils backbone for a bit of a play the other day and it was waist deep. Sure slows me down a bit.
He won't be here till end of sep so we'll see what the weather does, i reckon the cold might hang on for a bit longer yet.....
Ringo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby devoswitch » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 4:51 pm

There sure is some nice snow up the Hartz amongst others! Looks like we're in for another fairly low dusting early next week!
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby silvereye » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey Ringo, I'm a fellow Huon-villain as well :)
Mt Picton is awesome - great scrambling up on the summit ridge and some interesting rock formations and alpine tarns over on the NE side.
Adamson's Peak is a long day walk, but the forest is beautiful and the views are incredible. Not too much in the way of big rocks from memory, but certainly a large boulderfield around the summit.
Same with Snowy South/Lake Skinner (probably my favourite walk in the area). Stunning forest, great variation of terrain/vegetation as you gain altitude, crystal clear alpine lake and awesome view from the summit (assuming a clear day:). Very few bouldering options, but tonnes of rock-hopping in the open country on the ridge.
One to consider would be Cathedral Rock. Not as long (unless you can organise 2 cars and turn it into a Montague Thumbs/Mt Montague/Thark Ridge/Big Bend traverse), but really impressive taster of the Tassie outdoors, capped off with a short scramble to a truly precipitous summit tower (200m drops on 3 sides) with a really interesting outlook on Mt Wellington from the south.
North West Bay river makes up part of the track, and if you are lucky you may even spot a platypus or two :)
If you are doing the traverse on that one (or Collins Bonnet) and happen to find yourself over in the Big Bend area, your mate would love a look at The Lost World for sure. Plenty of rocks over there!
One more thing - assuming your mate is from the mainland - make sure he brings Tas-appropriate clothing. September can still be pretty nasty - especially in the mountains. Sounds like you have some experience in these things, but, as an ex-mainlander myself, it's worth mentioning. The differences were quite a learning curve for me, that's for sure... :wink:
Have fun!
silvereye
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ringo » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 9:12 pm

I've cast my eye over Cathedral rock many times, such an impressive formation! Like someone took a sharp knife and cut half the mountain away. Will definitely be keen to explore that area further. Thanks for the heads up on clothing, on top of it myself but easy to forget mainlanders such as we used to be may need prompting. Awesome to know there's a few huon valliens/soon to be huon valliens on here. It's a beautiful spot.
Ringo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby devoswitch » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't associate myself with Huonville.
Franklin's where it's at. :-)
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sherpa » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi Ringo,
Welcome to the valley. Yes, there's plenty to do down here and the above suggestions are a great place to start. I'd also like to stress being prepared for the weather conditions down here. Our Spring can be quite unpredictable weather wise. The roaring fourties kick in, rain,and as you can see, plenty of snow on the peaks. All these can turn a seemingly easy day walk into epic. Also make sure your vehicle is suitably equiped.
The good thing about walking in your local area is that you can turn a day walk into an overnighter, break camp early and still get home for breakfast.
Enyoy!
sherpa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby silvereye » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 7:22 pm

devoswitch wrote:I don't associate myself with Huonville.
Franklin's where it's at. :-)

Aha! A filthy West-banker!
Don't you know East Side iz da best?!? :lol:
#cradoclyfe
silvereye
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby devoswitch » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 6:51 am

West side for life!......
Although I am very fond of the cygnet area!
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania