Police Rescue Mother and Son, Lake Mackenzie

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Police Rescue Mother and Son, Lake Mackenzie

Postby Overlandman » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 5:50 pm

From the Examiner

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/490009 ... e/?cs=4093

A mother and son have been rescued from the state’s Central Highlands after a large snow fall left them stranded.

The pair had been on a three-day walk around Lake McKenzie when a cold snap hit. The weather deteriorated rapidly and they were unable to cross the Fisher River.

Sonia and her son Daniel used a satellite messenger they were carrying to call for assistance.

Sergeant Gillies said because they were carrying the messenger rescuing them was easier.

“The pair were well equipped and in good spirits when we located them but I think they will take a little more notice of the weather next time,” he said.

“This time of year is particularly hazardous when the weather improves and we have a cold snap that can be a serious problem if you are caught out unaware.”
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Police Rescue Mother and Son, Lake Mackenzie

Postby bobcrusader » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:54 am

Glad to hear they are okay. As a reporter, if some random 'satellite messenger' saved their bacon, it might be worth a bit more information about exactly what it was and how it worked? I'll assume something like a Spot Gen3, but it could have been an EPIRB or a Sat Phone. Either way, it worked, and mainstream publicity of such devices never hurts.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 1:57 pm

Likely a SPOT or inreach device, as if it had been an EPIRB would likely have been a heli job.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 3:23 pm

It says "satellite messenger". An EPIRB (I think you mean PLB?) is not a messaging device.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania