Best day walks for triple top training

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best day walks for triple top training

Postby SarahR » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi Bush Lovers,
It seems I'm easily led and have been talked into the triple top, despite my having almost zero hiking/climbing experience in the past 20 years.
So, I need help! I have not a great deal of time, small children and work commitments and need to prepare. Eek!
Any advice or guidance would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!
SarahR
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Best day walks for triple top training

Postby jmac » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 9:38 am

It depends where you live.

I would recommend that after the weather has settled a bit, organise a group to go and do the actual track. Leave early and give yourselves time to recce the route and familiarise yourselves with the terrain at an enjoyable pace; just jog/walk it. It will require a car shuffle. Carry full safety gear. You could split it into halves and do it over a couple of weekends, using the track from Gowrie Park as the central entry/exit.

If you're based near Launceston, just hit the Trevallyn tracks hard in training. Up Zig-Zag, then Duck Reach, through the reserve to the Trevallyn Dam, etc. Great for proprioception and strength.

Good luck!

J.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Old Fart » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi SarhaR

Hows things?

Have done the TT swim last year, :roll:

Would spend a bit of time working on core strength and more importantly balance/ankle strength - which you will need. Fuel hydration also needs some attention as you'll most likely be out there for some time.

Walking wise, find something with hills, - lots of up and down - dial range is good up north as its a bit more sheltered this time of year. Down south the Hobart trail runners seem a good group https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... %20runners and the sole mates group occasionally venture onto the trails https://www.facebook.com/groups/235459276643370/ and they may have some more local knowledge for that end of the state.

There will be pain, -weather on top can be nasty, be prepared - some runners describe it as harder than the overland run, avoid stairs for the week after, but most importantly it is a great challenge and well worth it. :D :D :D

best wishes for the race
Old Fart
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Kitty91 » Sat 23 Sep, 2017 10:17 am

I had the same plan last year, took a friend up me to do a practice run/walk (if we can walk it in 8 hours we would be fine for TT?), but even though my fitness is nothing worth bragging about, her wasn't where she implied and it took us 9.5 hours all up, was very long day and lesson. I will get back up there one day and prove to myself, once i get another car buddy.

If you can, perhaps set aside a day do a practice run/walk/hike just so mentally you are prepared? If it is not a track you are familiar with.
Kitty91
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby clarence » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:13 am

Where do you live? You do not necessarily need to go far from home- as long as there are lots of hills and rough terrain (as opposed to even/smoothly surfaced walking tracks).

I have done it several times and it can be beautiful or appalling- depending on the weather.

There is lots of rugged descending too.

Even if you get out for 1 to 1.5 hours twice a week, with a longer session of say 3-4 hours MOST weekends you should be right.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania