Feb 2018 Central Plateau trip comments

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feb 2018 Central Plateau trip comments

Postby Mark F » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:01 pm

I am in the process of planning my Feb 2018 trip to Tas - I will have a car and aim for 10-15 km per day with a bit of fishing (Tenkara) and the occasional zero. I like the Plateau as a starter as I am walking by lunchtime off the boat. I am thinking of starting with a 7? day loop from Lake Mackenzie along the Explorer Ck Track to the Ritter Track and into the Walls. Then out again via Turanna Bluff and possibly Fisher Bluff. I don't know this area but have been into the Walls many times over the years. Any comments on the area, the Ritter Track (read a bit on Google) and more importantly the cross country return.
II will also have a poke around in the NE and Bay of Fires area and if I get a good break in the weather a return to the WA's (1st done in 1970).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Feb 2018 Central Plateau trip comments

Postby teak » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 1:04 pm

IMGP6830.jpg
Ritters Track looking towards Mount Jerusalem.
I have walked through most of the area you will be visiting. Ritters track is more of a cairned route than a track but is fairly easy to follow. The attached photo is looking over Lake Evans with Mount Jerusalem in the far distance. On the return journey I would follow Ritters back to Lake Butters then turn to follow Long Tarns to their end, then East out of the valley and make your way to Turrana Bluff. I have not been through the section between Turrana Bluff and Fisher Bluff but it should be possible to follow the edge of the escarpment around. From Fisher Bluff there are some nice grassy valleys leading back to the Blue Peaks Track and thus back to Lake Mackenzie. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnrs » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 3:52 pm

Great area for walking Mark!
Good lines across open country or light alpine heath.
But alpine Tassie so you can get pinned down by the weather
and the fish are cunning, take some polaroids
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 3:58 pm

What he said ^ about Ritters.

Fisher to Turranna has some very good country albeit with the possibility of diving into the scratchy scrubby stuff if you get off line. The easiest line on and off Fisher is from the northern end of the flat valley west of Blue Peaks & Frozen Lagoon. Going down to the south you will need to do a bit more dodge and weave to avoid scoparia and low scrambly cliffs and big boulders. Cross over north of Harry Lees and follow the broad ridgeline towards a point roughly half way between Turranna Bluff and Turranna Heights, doing the Bluff as a side trip. Then down over the Heights and east to pick up whichever route you want. You can get onto Higgs near Westons (which has some beautiful campsites) and follow that back to Lady Lake area. Return to MacKenzie from there via Balmoral is straightforward. Or vice versa.

Lot of options.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mark F » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks all for your replies. It sounds like a great area given reasonable weather. I will be allowing plenty of time to make the most of it.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DanR » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi there,

A group of us are planning to do the ritter track for the first time between Christmas and New Year, does anyone have a gpx for the track from lake nameless to the walls? is using a GPS going to be useful or needed, I've heard that track is a little indistinct and possibly quite overgrown...

Thanks,

Dan
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 4:07 pm

As has been said it's not so much a track as an intermittently cairned route, often with a clear pad. Take a good map and compass and follow the easiest line west or east or wherever. It's not particularly difficult country in which to navigate, provided you're sensible.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania