central highlands next month

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

central highlands next month

Postby kicyclist » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 1:40 pm

Greetings from SA to the Tasmanians on this branch.
My trip to Hobart begins nov 20. First I'll cycle east then up by Great Lake around nov 27 or 28.
Is it allowed to use the road to Shannon for access to the five mile Pinnacles Conservation Area?
The highlands map shows a gate north of Shannon but no gate marked on the road south.
Lastly, is there camping allowed at the shore of either Woods Lake or Lagoon of Islands?
There is a nice campsite at Interlaken, which I might use if the above 2 are not legal.
Thanks.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: central highlands next month

Postby north-north-west » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 5:26 pm

There's a section of Barren Plains Road between Shannon and Shannon Lagoon Dam, that follows the old canal - if that's the road you're asking about, I was there just a few weeks ago and there's a very large and comprehensive 'BUGGER OFF' sign on the gate, courtesy of Hydro. Use at your own risk.
Wouldn't it be easier to access Pinnacles from Fleming Drive in Miena?

There was a very nice free car camping area next to Lagoon of Islands when I did Jilletts Tier (near the dam, access off the Interlaken Rd, no facilities), but that was about five years ago. Not sure of the current situation. There is also a large and sprawling camping area (free) at Dago Point, Interlaken. Not far from the main road, grotty old signs, rough gravel road, but very good camping, with dunnies and watertank. Don't think there's public vehicle access to Woods - pretty sure the surrounding land is currentlly off limits and the access roads are gated.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby oldpiscator » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 5:34 pm

Sure there is plenty of camping at Woods and reasonable road from Arthurs to Woods lake (15 km) as per following:
http://anglersalliance.org.au/wp-conten ... or-WEB.pdf
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby kicyclist » Mon 30 Oct, 2017 11:41 am

Good Info, thanks to you both. NNW you just saved me some k's of cycling:) I would not go past the BUGGER OFF sign. Fleming Drive Miena looks about 2k further than the Beaumont Memorial, I'll go there instead. It does look easier.
Lagoon of Islands will get a visit as it is closer to the Lake Highway.
oldpiscator, the link you provided revealed current work being done to upgrade Woods Lake Road, it remains open.
I have the option to visit both Woods lake and Interlaken on the return journey.
To those of you who bushwalk and cycle do you cycle in walking shoes or carry 2 pairs?
Thanks.
kicyclist
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania