Quamby bluff and other walk ideas

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Quamby bluff and other walk ideas

Postby TheNW » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi. Interested in picking your collective brains on just how hard the quamby bluff walk is?

To give (some) of you an idea of my current fitness level or lack thereof i have recently gone to both westmorland and lobster falls .. westmorland i found very easy, lobster falls was a bit trickier but easier on the return when I swapped the baby carrier with 16kg toddler in it with my partner lol

Any other walks you would recommend if quambys not on the cards for a while? They all sound fun but its hard to know which are suitable for a newbie when the most descriptive most sites get are "a bit steep" ..which I gather can mean anything from a few steps to goat tracking up the side of a mountain lol

Thanks
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Quamby bluff and other walk ideas

Postby MrWalker » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 4:35 pm

The track up Quamby Bluff has recently been upgraded in the upper section that used to be rather scrambly and now has a lot of good steps installed. So ignore comments about how hard it is if they were written more than a year ago.
It is quite easy for the first 3km up to the main scree slope. Then you head up the middle of the large boulder section until you see poles sending you off to the right a bit back into forest. If you get past that you should be OK on the rest, although there is another short boulder climb to reach the plateau. I wouldn't take a 16kg toddler past the first scree though.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Quamby bluff and other walk ideas

Postby TheNW » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for that, really good to know about the new improvements .. No, I have no intention of taking the toddler and will be organising a well earned kid free day if i give it a shot.
TheNW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania