Best alpine camping locations?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best alpine camping locations?

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:56 am

Hi all
So I've noticed that the forecast for southeast and southwest Tassie this upcoming Sunday and Monday is about as good as it gets. As a result, an idea came to my mind, where I could go and camp up on the top of a mountain somewhere and really take advantage of the good weather.
What are people's recommendations for the best places to go camping at high altitudes? I know Mt Olympus is meant to be a spectacular camping place, but if anyone else knows of a fantastic place to do it, I'd love to know about it. :)
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Best alpine camping locations?

Postby davidf » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:31 pm

My limited tas experince would be on top of frenchmans or ben lomond
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby doogs » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:16 pm

Walled mt
Du cane range
Olympus
The guardians
Cheyne range
King william 2
Wylds craig
Mt field west
Adamsons
Picton
Bobs
Moonlight ridge
Agamemnon
Frenchmans (great views, pitching a tent is marginal though)
Eve (Anne range)
The Needles
Mueller
The sentinels
Clear hill
Wright
Stepped hills
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:01 pm

doogs wrote:Walled mt
Du cane range
Olympus
The guardians
Cheyne range
King william 2
Wylds craig
Mt field west
Adamsons
Picton
Bobs
Moonlight ridge
Agamemnon
Frenchmans (great views, pitching a tent is marginal though)
Eve (Anne range)
The Needles
Mueller
The sentinels
Clear hill
Wright
Stepped hills

:lol:
Yep, anywhere you are happy to carry a tent to above 1000m works very well.... :wink:
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:22 am

Quite seriously though, if you haven't done alot of high camping or off track walking, a nice easy one to start with is the Hugel plateau. Go up to little Hugel and head off towards Hugel. There is some lovely camping near a tarn up there with excellent views.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:01 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Quite seriously though, if you haven't done alot of high camping or off track walking, a nice easy one to start with is the Hugel plateau. Go up to little Hugel and head off towards Hugel. There is some lovely camping near a tarn up there with excellent views.

Ah OK! I've read about Hugel on other parts of this forum and on blogs + the Abels book. Is it feasible to head down from the summit of Hugel to the Mt Rufus track with a large pack on, considering the tricky terrain that exists around there?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:45 am

I can second Ducane Range - one of the highest points on the island.
To wet the appetite see:
Trip report - http://new.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12896&p=170373&hilit=ducane+range#p170373
Our campsite - http://new.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5745&p=201992&hilit=+Ducane#p201992
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:51 am

Is it feasible to head down from the summit of Hugel to the Mt Rufus track with a large pack on, considering the tricky terrain that exists around there?

Yes, but make sure you keep to the left when negotiating the boulder field between the Hugel summit and the flatter ridge beyond. If you go for what looks like an easier route through the boulders in the gully, you will end up having to do a very awkward sidle on a very steep slope. It's not very far from the gully to the easier terrain, so stick with it. Once on that flatter ridge, it's straightforward navigation down to the saddle and over to the track.
It's a great little loop. I think Nik did a trip report on the circuit some years back.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:09 am

Yes, it is feasible. But I wouldn't attempt it if you're not comfortable with large boulder hopping as well as general off-track navigation, etc. There is a moderately extensive boulder field to negotiate, and it is tricky (ie, dangerous) and a little hairy (ie, scary). Not as bad as some other boulder fields, but use great caution, nevertheless. It's the usual dangers with boulder fields: Awkward slopes, slippery surfaces sometimes if wet/icy, large gaps between boulders with very deep holes under them, etc.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2225&p=19095
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7039&p=90106

north-north-west wrote:
Is it feasible to head down from the summit of Hugel to the Mt Rufus track with a large pack on, considering the tricky terrain that exists around there?

Yes, but make sure you keep to the left when negotiating the boulder field between the Hugel summit and the flatter ridge beyond. If you go for what looks like an easier route through the boulders in the gully, you will end up having to do a very awkward sidle on a very steep slope. It's not very far from the gully to the easier terrain, so stick with it. Once on that flatter ridge, it's straightforward navigation down to the saddle and over to the track.
It's a great little loop. I think Nik did a trip report on the circuit some years back.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info. I reckon I will go with Hugel as my destination, and leave the plethora of other options for other times. I'll suss out the boulders when I get there and make a judgement at the time. I have done Rufus before, but I'd like to add it in so I can avoid backtracking.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:36 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:Thanks for the info. I reckon I will go with Hugel as my destination, and leave the plethora of other options for other times. I'll suss out the boulders when I get there and make a judgement at the time. I have done Rufus before, but I'd like to add it in so I can avoid backtracking.

You don't have to do Rufus to avoid backtracking. When you hit the Rufus track (after descending Hugel's south side), you can turn left instead of right/straight-ahead, and rejoin the Shadow Lake circuit without using any of the same track.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:22 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:You don't have to do Rufus to avoid backtracking. When you hit the Rufus track (after descending Hugel's south side), you can turn left instead of right/straight-ahead, and rejoin the Shadow Lake circuit without using any of the same track.

Yeah that's true, and I haven't walked that connecting section of track before.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself (probably the case :wink:), but would heading up to the Hugel area for an extra day, and visiting the Cheyne Range be possible? Is it an 'easy' (for Tasmanian standards) off-track walk, or is scrub an issue? I've been trying to find good info on accessing the Cheyne Range from Hugel, but most posts on this forum talk about accessing it from Gell.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby eggs » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:05 pm

True. But they have generally exited via the Hugel plateau. My understanding is that the scrub is not too bad.
At least I hope so. We were intending to go that way on my last trip but changed plans on the run due to weather reports.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby doogs » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 5:17 am

I dropped off near the lake on the hugel plateau when I went that way. The scrub isn't bad by tasmanian standards, the worst being the forested descent from hugel. But it really depends ones ones perception of tough scrub though - there certainly isn't a pad but the forest is mostly open, lots of climbing over fallen trees and pushing through what I'd describe as light scrub. The upper Franklin can be wuite a torrent after decent rains too!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:39 am

It is worth just heading down to Lake Hermione and Orites Falls. As Doogs said, by Tassie standards, scrub isn't bad. In reverse the ascent is easy as there is a large landslip that can be used to gain considerable elevation with ease. It is quite stable to walk on.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania