South coast track fishing/snorkel

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South coast track fishing/snorkel

Postby Jess_condon » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 7:15 pm

I have the south coast track booked in to do for the new year,
Just wondering if anyone has had much luck on any fishing down there? I'm after trout, bream, flathead,I am doing P,B as a side trip so it would be nice to fish my way up the river,(if it's worth it)
Or even better, has anyone had much luck on abalone, oysters, or crayfish? Considering taking my snorkel gear also,
Wondering if it's worth taking my spinning gear,
Jess_condon
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South coast track fishing/snorkel

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 7:48 pm

Much will depend on the weather conditions. I've seen big Salmon caught off the beaches, lots of parrot fish and wrasse easily caught off the rocks, and i've spent 2 days with a fly fisherman at Prion who had no luck but sighted a few small trout.

As far as abalone go they are everywhere down there if the conditions allow you to get in the water. If you have caught crayfish before you shouldnt have too many issues finding one, but if not dont expect to just jump in the water and see them hanging around waiting for hungry bushwalkers to dive under and grab them. Snaring crayfish with the hand is a bit of an art form. As to where the best places down there to catch a crayfish, well a bloke has to have some secrets huh..... :|

And of course it goes without saying size limits apply and you need a license!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South coast track fishing/snorkel

Postby Mechanic-AL » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:43 am

Little Deadmans Cove is the best option for a snorkel but fishing in any beach gutters would require a fair amount of assistance from the weather gods and something that can cast a reasonable distance.
Cooking fish, crays or abalone without the use of a fire could also present its own set of challenges.
Not sure I'd be all that interested in carrying any extra gear given the limited opportunities that might arise.

AL.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Tasmania