Dixons Kingdom Hut camping or alternative routes

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Dixons Kingdom Hut camping or alternative routes

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 7:51 am

We're planning a few days in the Walls of Jerusalem area and most convenient for us is to stay at Dixons Kingdom Hut campsite. On all the maps it's still a campsite, books mention it's a popular campsite and PWS Tasmania mentions it as a campsite with a note that camping is discouraged. Can someone please advise the current status? Are there tent platforms or a designated camp area? Is the hut suitable to stay for 2 nights? To protect the environment I don't want to go wild camping. If we can't camp there, any suggestions for an alternative? I'm not a fan of my own alternative route as it involves too much backtracking and we miss out on Lake Adelaide. Our plan is to walk max. between 6-8 hours a day and we're reasonably fit.

Any feedback/comments are much appreciated.

Our plan is:
Day 1: Start 10 am. Carpark to Dixons Kingdom
Day 2: From Dixons a day trip to Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne and The Temple
Day 3: From Dixons a trip to Mount Jerusalem, pick up our packs and then via Lake Ball to the northern campsite at Lake Adelaide
Day 4: From Lake Adelaide back to the carpark. Need to be on the road at 11 am.

Alternative is:
Day 1: Start 10 am. Carpark to Wild Dog campsite
Day 2: From Wild Dog campsite a day trip to Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne and The Temple
Day 3: From Wild Dog campsite a day trip to Mount Jerusalem
Day 4: From Wild Dog campsite back to the carpark. Need to be on the road at 11 am.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Re: Dixons Kingdom Hut camping or alternative routes

Postby Warin » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 8:17 am

Plan C?
Day 2: From Wild Dog campsite to Lake Bathsheba, Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne, The Temple, then camp at Dixons Kingdom
Day 3: From Dixons Kingdom to Mount Jerusalem, packup Dixons Kingdom and camp at Wild Dog campsite
Day 4: From Wild Dog campsite back to the carpark. Need to be on the road at 11 am.

2 nights - Wild Dog campsite
1 night - Dixons Kingdom
Is it worth the 2 packups and erections of the campsite to make Mount Jerusalem easier?

----------------
Comment:
Camping is discouraged within the Walls of Jerusalem except at Wild Dog where there are camping platforms and toilets.
Dixons Kingdom has toileting facilities (but no platforms).. so I would take camping there to be more 'acceptable' than any other place as thoes do not have any toileting facility.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby pazzar » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:09 am

It is fine to camp at Dixons. It is a well established campsite with toilets.

I think you will have a lot more spare time than you think based on that itinerary. From Dixons, you will be able to climb all of the peaks comfortably in one day. I would suggest doing this, then spending day 3 walking to Lake Adelaide, maybe dropping packs and exploring down to Lake Meston, and then camping at Lake Adelaide. Then you can get an early start on day 4 and get out with plenty of time.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:18 am

Great feedback Warin, thanks! Plan C is our favourite now and we have managed to get an extra day so there is no need to be on the road at 11 am on day 4.

Plan C revision 1:
Day 2: From Wild Dog campsite to Lake Bathsheba, Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne, The Temple, then camp at Dixons Kingdom
Day 3: From Dixons Kingdom to Mount Jerusalem, packup Dixons Kingdom and camp at northern campsite Lake Adelaide
Day 4: From Lake Adelaide campsite back to the carpark. Need to be on the road before dark.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:36 am

pazzar wrote:It is fine to camp at Dixons. It is a well established campsite with toilets.
I think you will have a lot more spare time than you think based on that itinerary. From Dixons, you will be able to climb all of the peaks comfortably in one day. I would suggest doing this, then spending day 3 walking to Lake Adelaide, maybe dropping packs and exploring down to Lake Meston, and then camping at Lake Adelaide. Then you can get an early start on day 4 and get out with plenty of time.

Thanks Pazzar, we've just included Lake Adelaide and will add Lake Meston as well.

Plan C revision 2:
Day 2: From Wild Dog campsite to Lake Bathsheba, Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne, The Temple, setup camp at Dixons Kingdom and go to Mount Jerusalem with a daypack.
Day 3: From Dixons Kingdom to northern campsite at Lake Adelaide. Setup camp and go to Lake Meston with a daypack.
Day 4: From Lake Adelaide campsite back to the carpark. Need to be on the road before dark.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby taswegian » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 9:51 am

What will you do with the rest of the day after reaching Wild Dog campsite?
Would you make it to Dixons on day 1?
I reckon Wild Dog is a most boring spot to camp. I've never camped there, but past through many times.

If yes could reach Dixon day 1, I'd suggest that as base for strolling about the peaks of your choosing, then heading southwards to Lake Ball, Adelaide.
Pazza comment re peaks easily attainable are correct, and once there you'll get a good feel for your pace and what's achievable.

Someone asked about track conditions from Adelaide to Trappers Hut last month. Didn't hear back from them so none the wiser, but probably still hasn't had time to dry out much so could be squishy, slower?

Enjoy the trip. It's a fabulous bit of Tasmania.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 10:47 am

By 'Lake Bathsheba', I assume you mean the Pool of Bethesda? Lovely spot.

Personally, I'd go into Dixons on Day 1, spend Day 2 climbing Halls, traversing to King David's and back, then knocking off as many of the others as possible. If there isn't enough time or energy to do them all, one can be left for a short loosener the next morning before heading down to Adelaide.
Rather than having a rigid timetable, give yourselves a bit of flexibility to see how it goes when you're there. Always plenty of options to fill in time, whatever the weather's doing, and still get back early enough for the return drive.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 11:02 am

Dixons is a nice/r setting. But, I'd drop the heavy pack at WDC and use the camping platforms there, no sense carrying the big pack further than necessary.
Lake Ball has some nice camping if a circuit walk is desired but is it? Option 2 works with only two nights at WDC gives more good weather opportunities and exploring the central Walls basin and peaks out to Mt.Jerusalem.. is a clear standout of a walk in the area (imo).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 12:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:By 'Lake Bathsheba', I assume you mean the Pool of Bethesda?

That's my error.. sorry.

As for doing Dixons on day 1 ... I personally like a relaxing day 1 - get out of work rush mode and into relax mode. If it is your first time in then you want to take your time and look around?
Only been 'in' once .. and that was a while ago. Need to go again.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 1:14 pm

Camping in the Dixons Kingdom hut is definitely a no-no.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 2:11 pm

taswegian wrote:.

Someone asked about track conditions from Adelaide to Trappers Hut last month. Didn't hear back from them so none the wiser.

That'd be me.

After some pretty ordinary weather in early November I was a bit concerned about how wet it might still be through Jaffa Vale to Lake Ball but I need not have worried. The whole valley was like some kind of subterranean aqua duct with huge amounts of water gurgling away below ground level and only a few boggy bits to be skirted around. After a few days exploring around Lake Adelaide I chose to return via Damascuss Gate and WDC as the track up to Lake Loane looked as boring as the proverbial bats#&* so I can't comment on that section of track.
Returning back to Dixons Kingdom on a Saturday afternoon I was stunned by the number of tents, the place looked like a boyscouts jamboree!!
I wouldn't like to camp in DK Hut for any reason. Dark, gloomy and not as comfortable as a tent IMHO. I ended up camping in the forest below the Wailling Wall which was a beautiful spot and avoided all the traffic at Dixons Kingdom. Apparently there used to be a semi permanent rangers camp in that area somewhere.

With the large number of weekenders in there I was suprised to see that only one tent was making use of the WDC platforms and the thought occurred to me that it was really a bit of a waste and not serving the purpose it was intended for. It is just too close to the carpark and people still have a lot of gas left in the tank by the time they get there and are not ready to down tools and settle in for the night. I've stayed there a few times though and wouldn't regard it as boring. Heaps of exploring to do if you are happy to go wandering in that area.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby philm » Sun 17 Dec, 2017 3:10 pm

I'd go straight to Dixon's and base yourself there. Wild dog is ok but can be very hot if there is a heat wave - we experienced 32 degrees in January! Dixon's has plenty of shade and is a great base. The hut is average and not intended for sleeping unless there is an emergency. From the car park allow about 4 hours to Wild Dog then another 1 hour to Dixon's - not at ultra fast pace.
Dixon's to Lake Adelaide is a nice walk and again probably only about 2 hours max. so you can stop at Lake Ball.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 7:50 am

I have never camped at Wild Dog Creek, but when walking past, it has always had a number of tents, so is quite popular. So is camping under the pines at Dixons Kingdom. Lots of campsites near the hut or even a bit further away - and new toilet facilities.

Climbing both the Temple and Sol's Throne would be a short half day trip from Dixons Kingdom (e.g. one you could do before breakfast with a dawn start). Climbing Mt Jerusalem is a longer trip. There are also lots of other places in the area well worth visiting if time permits - e.g. Pool of Bethesda, Pool of Siloam, walking through the various vales, Lake Sidon and Lake Tyre etc.

Lake Ball loop is well worth doing. But I would not bother walking down L Adelaide to L Meston unless you were going that way. Its a bit of a slog to do twice. There area lot of nice campsites all along the way - e.g. near Lake Ball, and several between L Adelaide and Trappers Hut (lovely flat grassy areas near small creeks).
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Johnnie Walker » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

We arrive in Tasmania a week earlier and be at the Walls over a weekend in February but after the school holidays so hopefully it's not too busy.

Plan C revision 3:
Day 1: Start around midday. Carpark to Wild Dog campsite or Dixon's. We like the idea of a base-camp but not sure yet if that's going to be WDC or Dixon's.
Day 2: From basecamp to the Pool of Bathsheba, Damascus Gate, Solomons Throne, The Temple, Mount Jerusalem etc. A relaxing day to explore the area with no packing / unpacking.
Day 3: Pack-up basecamp and go to the northern campsite of Lake Adelaide. Since it's only a few hours we can take it easy, do the things we might have missed out on on day 2 and have a look at Lake Ball.
Day 4: From Lake Adelaide campsite back to the carpark. I think it's only 2-3 hours so we can sleep in :-)
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby philm » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 10:11 am

I'd make the little extra effort and walk on to Dixon's and give Wild Dog a miss. Dixon's is much nicer and more central as a base camp.
If it's hot you will have a steep climb up to Trappers then a reasonably exposed walk from Trappers to Wild Dog Creek - so when you arrive t Wild Dog you may be ready to stop there but I would walk on as the walk to Dixon's is mostly flat and will be worth it!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GraemeSpedding » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:35 pm

philm wrote:I'd make the little extra effort and walk on to Dixon's and give Wild Dog a miss. Dixon's is much nicer and more central as a base camp.
If it's hot you will have a steep climb up to Trappers then a reasonably exposed walk from Trappers to Wild Dog Creek - so when you arrive t Wild Dog you may be ready to stop there but I would walk on as the walk to Dixon's is mostly flat and will be worth it!

I agree with Philm, go straight to Dixons, its easily doable in a day and then you're set up to explore as much as you like and if the Wx misbehaves then its still a nice place to sit and read a book ( or kindle) and everything else is nice and close... and its much nicer camping.
"Dare your genius to walk the Wild Uncharted Way" B. Courtney
GraemeSpedding
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Johnnie Walker » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for all the feedback. We drive up from the east coast in the morning and should be at the car park around 11 am so we've got enough time to go straight to Dixons.

Day 1: Start 11 am. Car park to Dixons Hut, possibly lunch at the pool of Bethesda.
Day 2: Day trips from Dixons to the Gate, Solomons Throne, the Temple etc. Maybe Mount Jerusalem.
Day 3: Mount Jerusalem in the morning, pack up and head to northern camp site at Lake Adelaide. Maybe Lake Meston with a day-pack.
Day 4: From Lake Adelaide camp site back to the car park.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Johnnie Walker » Thu 24 May, 2018 5:46 pm

We ended up with this:
Day 1: Left early in the morning from Deloraine, walked from car park to Wild Dog camp site for lunch. All platforms were occupied and people were still arriving. Kept on going to Dixon's with only a stop at the Pool of Bathsheba. At Dixon's three people slept in the hut and outside was our tent and one other tent. A lot quieter than Wild Dog.
Day 2: Morning hike up to Mount Jerusalem and after lunch to Lake Adelaide. Track was easy and good to follow. We were alone at Lake Adelaide and it was beautiful.
Day 3: From Lake Adelaide back to the car park (Junction Lake Track). The track was a lot more overgrown, some sections blocked by fallen rocks and some sections hard to find. Obviously not often used and we didn't see anyone else.After the junction with the "Walls" track (track to the car park) we ran into at least 30 people.

Since we only had 3 instead of 4 days, we missed out on Damascus Gate and Solomons Throne but with Jetstar flights for $85 return we'll be back.
Johnnie Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby philm » Thu 24 May, 2018 6:10 pm

Its a great spot and plenty to see so worth spending a few more days there.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania