Northern Trails Suitable for Running

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Northern Trails Suitable for Running

Postby AdventureDan » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi All, I find your space here very helpful for research prior to venturing out on unknown tracks. Many thanks for past guidance.

I am a regular runner in Launceston who has a preference for getting off-road and onto the trails. As my distance and elevation goals are increasing so is my desire to find "runable" trail around the north of the state, within say 1 hour of Launceston. There are only so many times I can run the same trails in Trevallyn! I am not just looking for exclusively single trail, it can be access roads or a combination of both. Typically I travel solo so my preference is to not put myself on tracks that are too technical for both safety reasons and the fact you cannot run those stretches, which is the purpose.

In recent weeks I have run/walked up Mount Barrow from both the Nunamara (what I call front) and also from the access road further along which would be to the summit. I also ventured up Mount Arthur last weekend, although this in an example of a track that was difficult to run on the way up via the walking track from Lilydale. I was however able to descend running via the Whites Mill Road on the way back. These routes have given me between 20-25km of return trips each. Which is where I want to be.

Another I have discovered as a potential visit is the Ben Lomond climb, starting from the highway up to a location where a Carr Villa to the Legges Tor summit track commences, and then back down via the road for 34km.

Can you please help by sharing your walking (or running) wisdom of local trails that may be appropriate for me to venture out on? As flagged I am looking for largely clear routes, between 20-40km return trips, ideally with low levels of vegetation to cut through, etc. The trail itself may only be 5 to 15km return, I can just park my car further away to suit distance goals :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide...
AdventureDan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Northern Trails Suitable for Running

Postby MrWalker » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 6:56 pm

I assume you already know about Youngtown reserve, where you can start near Hobart Rd but extend your run off the east end and along a horse trail on Glenwood Rd to Mill Ford Lane, so only on road for a short distance.

Further afield -
Gravelly Beach / Swan point circuit is about 15km return.
Badger Head / Narawntapu / Greens Beach can be as far as you like on tracks or beach.
Other beaches east of Low Head are nice to walk on at low tide. The rocky points mostly have flat rocks.
The Bridport wildflower / beach walk circuit is only about 12km, so you would need to go round twice.
The Scottsdale Rail trail is about 30km one way.

In a different direction
The Tasmanian Trail from Blackwood Creek up to Poatina Rd is about 14km one way. Suitable for horses, so not too scrambly but steep.
At Cramps Bay on Great Lake there is a track south along the lake, but cutting off one headland, that is about 15km one way. Look for the track to avoid running on the rocky shore.
If it is not too far to the other side of great lake, try Lake Augusta to Pillans Lake, 34km return on a 4WD track (noted as faster to walk than drive). Best in dry weather.
Then Lake Ada to Talleh Lagoons, about 16km return, can be extended by parking well short of Lake Ada.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby AdventureDan » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you MrWalker. Gravelly/Greens Beach/Scottsdale were good reminders. I have been on those tracks. The others sound promising to me and worth future ventures out... appreciate you taking the time to share thoughts.
AdventureDan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Old Fart » Wed 03 Jan, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Adventure Dan,

Lots of options.

Walls would be on the outer limit of the hours drive but the walls ball circuit comes in at about 25km. tho parking the car at the track/ main road junction would give you another 5 km with some more vert. Arm river trail into pellion would be worth a look

Western creek (edit syds track- the furthermost up the road would be the better start) lake ironstone then out via lake nameless lake lucy long lady lake hut circuit would be a good one- also there's a shorter one out via syds track/ western creek tho haven't done this in a while.

Meander falls track would be mostly runnable but probably a bit short. but I suppose you could leave the car further back.

Drys bluff if you have a profound dislike of your quads.

Running around Roland coming up from the western side (old hydro village name ) heading north then south would be ok. Up and down the face track would be counterproductive to your training.

Hope this gives you a few ideas to play around with -
Old Fart
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MrWalker » Sat 06 Jan, 2018 7:08 am

Old Fart wrote:Walls would be on the outer limit of the hours drive but the walls ball circuit comes in at about 25km. tho parking the car at the track/ main road junction would give you another 5 km with some more vert. Arm river trail into pellion would be worth a look

Western creek (edit syds track- the furthermost up the road would be the better start) lake ironstone then out via lake nameless lake lucy long lady lake hut circuit would be a good one- also there's a shorter one out via syds track/ western creek tho haven't done this in a while.

Meander falls track would be mostly runnable but probably a bit short. but I suppose you could leave the car further back.

Drys bluff if you have a profound dislike of your quads.

Running around Roland coming up from the western side (old hydro village name ) heading north then south would be ok. Up and down the face track would be counterproductive to your training.

Western Creek Track and Syds Track may be bit difficult for running. They are not bad tracks, but a bit rough and in a few places hard to locate the track at running speed. If you want to run up the tiers then Warners Track would be the best to start with. That is a good width and easy to follow all the way until you get nearly in view of Lake Highway, after which the track disappears.

If Warners Track works out, then you could try Higgs Track, as that would be easier that Syds or Western Creek, but may be excessively steep, particularly if you try to run down.

I would not consider Meander Falls track to be runnable. It became a bit overgrown while the road was cut off.
MrWalker

Postby headwerkn » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 10:55 pm

I think all the good ones have been mentioned... can definitely vouch for Walls, Greens-Badger-Bakers, Ben Lomond and Lake Augusta to Pillans/Jullians Lakes.

Running any part of the Triple Tops course (Mts Claude, Van Dyke and Roland) is always good training too.

The tracks around Derby and Weldborough are fantastic running too, though you'd need to be careful outside of TrailFest you don't get cleaned up by mountain bikers.
headwerkn

Postby cliffold » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi Dan
The trails in this area were what convinced me to emigrate to Tassie
Your 20-40k requirement is easy to satisfy
From town out to the wetlands boardwalks is a pleasant outing
Park at Gravelly Beach (opposite PO) and head down Beach Rd then on Swan Pt trail to Paper Beach then about 1k bitumen and on to trail to Supply River (just keep close to the river) A bit under 20k return, easy navigation with coffee option at Paper & Gravelly Beach (can also pop up to the old Supply River Mill to add a few k but not so easy to describe route)
Badgers Head to Bakers (14k return) option to include Archers Knob (20k) Springlawn (25k) the point at the end (33k) is my second best preferred run in Australia!
Back of Beacy has masses of brilliant trails, buy some 25k maps and put some routes together. Once you see the possibilities here you can do 20 - 60k loops.
Have a go at the Convicts & Wenches at Greens Beach. It has a 25, 50k and shorter options as well
As mentioned by others the Mt Roland track is runnable from Gowrie Park to at least half way up on the fire trail, gets harder after that!
What a brilliant state!
cliffold
cliffold
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Crawfinator » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 1:47 pm

Hey Dan.

More than welcome to come along on one of my missions! I have quite a few planned over the next four months.

Can't promise they will be totally scrubless though ;)

Also - one of my favourites over the past couple of years would be the Mt Maurice loop, which is within your driving limit - see if you can find it on my strava log. There is a tiny bit of scrub, and would recommend doing it with a GPS track which might be needed in one or two places, but overall it is a beautiful run, particularly some sections on the eastern side.
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania