Mersey Valley Road and Lees Paddocks

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mersey Valley Road and Lees Paddocks

Postby Haydynb » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 5:22 pm

Afternoon all... planning a walk into Lees next weekend (14th) and thought it wise before heading off to check the following...

Firstly, that its still ok to enter the paddocks.. i understand its private property. Plan to walk in.. have lunch...walk out

And secondly, how is the condition of MV road... reasonable for a 2 wheel drive without excess height?

Thx for any feedback!
Haydynb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mersey Valley Road and Lees Paddocks

Postby Tortoise » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 9:52 pm

Might be a couple of years since I was there, but the sign seems to say you only need to get permission if you're camping there. You could ring if unsure.
DSC00223.jpg

Someone else can give an update on the road - haven't been there for a few months, but I would be very surprised if a 2wd can't do it. You just have to take it slow in places because of rocks and ruts.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Haydynb » Thu 04 Jan, 2018 10:15 pm

Thx Tortoise.. i will give the guys a call or text!
Haydynb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasmaniac » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:06 pm

I was up there a few days ago and the road beyond the WoJ carpark turnoff is a bit rough, just take it slow and you won't get too shaken up. Day walking is fine, permission may be needed for camping. If you're interested in visiting the Lewis and Oxley Falls, the track to Lewis is well marked, but a large tree has fallen just at the start of the Oxley Falls track. It's easy to find if you try to stick to the original track rather than taking to detour to the left around the tree. Enjoy.
tasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby relaxtec » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Haydynb. I'm planning on heading into Lees Paddock in June. Just wondering if you made it there last Jan?
relaxtec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Haydynb » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey Relaxtec. Yep we went in as planned and had a wonderful day. Also was back in there a couple of weeks ago as we headed into Nesciant Peak. Road after WOJ turn off is poor but ok in a 2wd if you take care... track into Lees in reasonable nic!
Haydynb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania