Indian Mynas

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Indian Mynas

Postby taswegian » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 6:47 am

This email came in yesterday.
Good to see authorities take these incidents seriously.
They do rely on our support.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Biosecurity Tasmania has received a report of an Indian/common myna (Acridotheres tristis) having been sighted in the vicinity of the Toyworld building in Devonport. There have been several incursions of Indian mynas in the Devonport area in recent years, and government staff have removed the birds on those occasions. Surveillance has been undertaken following this latest report, but an Indian myna has not yet been located. Biosecurity Tasmania will be undertaking ongoing surveillance. However, I am writing to request you please forward this information to your NW network, as public assistance, particularly in the Devonport area, is required to locate any bird(s) that may have established here.

Further information on the Indian myna, including its call sounds, appearance, and an information flyer, can be found at the following link. http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/invasive-species/invasive-animals/invasive-birds/indian-myna . Sightings of Indian mynas should be reported immediately to the Invasive Species Hotline 1300 369 688. Please contact me if you have any questions, and thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Indian Mynas

Postby johnw » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 9:14 am

I actually didn't realise that they weren't already in Tasmania, given that they are an established pest just about everywhere else. Do everything possible to keep them out. They are flying vermin that sadly I see every day.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania