First overnighter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

First overnighter

Postby Tastrippa » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 9:15 pm

Ok I've done heaps of day walks and am a keen trail runner, I have read countless reports on this site also, I'm hoping for some advice on doing my first overnight to lake belcher in the mt field area. I understand it can get quite boggy going in but that sounds like part of the adventure. My concern is solely whether there is a need to carry a PLB( I get the stupidity of what I ask but I'd like to know how many of you carry them and did you carry one on your first overnighter). I'd really appreciate just some good advice/tips to go on surrounding other aspects of what there is to consider. I have amassed some good gear and have done plenty of training walks to get used to the weight, I'm probably overthinking but I think that can't be a bad thing when going solo off the grid.
I have a long way to go....lucky I'm already here!
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: First overnighter

Postby Rileyr » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 9:42 pm

For me the risk of getting a snake bite is what drove me to get a plb. Obviously you should stay put if bitten. Being able to apply self aid, press a button and wait is a releiving thought, esspecially when I've had several close encounters recently.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 4:06 am

Just read the lastest entries in helicopter rescues2 on this forum... :wink:
I carry one. For daywalks, overnighter & longer adventures.

A worst case scenario can happen at any time, whether your young or old, better to have a PLB for yours & your family's piece of mind...it's just a lightweight addition to your survival/rescue plan.

If you don't want to buy you can hire one from the Parks & Wildlife Service.

Read the instructions...and use wisely.
116g, 7 year battery life.
Equates too roughly $50per year...Cheap life insurance.
Sells itself.
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 20 Jan, 2018 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 7:01 am

Tastrippa, welcome to the forum. A very wise mentor of mine said that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Your question is quite good and shows that you are taking safety seriously. If you intend to go bushwalking regularly, then a PLB is a good idea. The cost is minimal and at $50 a year it's budget insurance. Oforus, thanks for the maths.

Before you go bush, let someone know in writing where you are going, car rego, where it will be parked, time out and when the contact should say that you are overdue. For example, if the walk ends at about 4pm and you should be home by 7pm, overdue may be 9pm. Usually there is the ability to contact home before 7pm if you are late. There are limited mobile phone towers line of sight in the mountains, but as you head into the city reception improves. I've been in a place about 10 kilometres from a tower, good reception. Hid behind a rock so that was blanked out but got reception from a tower 70 kilometres away.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Strider » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 7:03 am

Rileyr wrote:For me the risk of getting a snake bite is what drove me to get a plb. Obviously you should stay put if bitten. Being able to apply self aid, press a button and wait is a releiving thought, esspecially when I've had several close encounters recently.

Me too. In many places you could be 50m from the nearest road, but without mobile reception and with no one around to help you'd be a goner for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 9:10 am

Strider wrote:
Rileyr wrote:For me the risk of getting a snake bite is what drove me to get a plb. Obviously you should stay put if bitten. Being able to apply self aid, press a button and wait is a releiving thought, esspecially when I've had several close encounters recently.

Me too. In many places you could be 50m from the nearest road, but without mobile reception and with no one around to help you'd be a goner for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Me too!
I wouldn't bushwalk anywhere there is likely to be bad or no phone service without it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 7:25 pm

Tastrippa wrote:Ok I've done heaps of day walks and am a keen trail runner,
My concern is solely whether there is a need to carry a PLB( I get the stupidity of what I ask but I'd like to know how many of you carry them and did you carry one on your first overnighter). I'd really appreciate just some good advice/tips to go on surrounding other aspects of what there is to consider. I have amassed some good gear and have done plenty of training walks to get used to the weight, I'm probably overthinking but I think that can't be a bad thing when going solo off the grid.

They hadn't invented them when I did my first overnighter. Or mobile phones for that matter! I hope I would have been sensible enough to carry one if I'd had the choice. A few years ago I decided that if I just bit the bullet and bought one for the big walks, I'd be covered for the little ones as well. I used to think that if I had a bad injury I could eventually crawl to get help. But the reality turned out that when I have a bad injury, I pass out from the pain when I try to move. :shock: (And of course, it would be a bad idea to try moving in case of a snake bite.) Such a simple thing can and does save lives and avoids a lot of angst for the person in trouble, their friends and family and the wonderful S&R folk.
Ofuros summed it up very well.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tastrippa » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 7:42 pm

Cheers for the replies, I'm certainly investing in one and have found out you can hire them from service tas so am teeing one up for my trip, leaving Aus day and it's going to be a hot one!! Considering walking the tarn shelf area instead, less snakes maybe lol, anyone had any first or second hand experience with snakes vs gaiters? Do they hold up? That's an eye opener the helicopter rescue post! Went back as far as August last year when somebody wrote how little rescues they do. they got real busy real quick! More tourists or more sensible people carrying plbs?
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Overlandman » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 8:35 pm

The worst problem I had on my last trip into Lake Belcher was the heat. From memory it was above 30°
Still I carry a PLB (Jack jumper allergy)
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 9:09 pm

A little peace of mind.. You will probably never use it but if u do it will be worth it.
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 6:19 am

Tastrippa wrote:anyone had any first or second hand experience with snakes vs gaiters? Do they hold up?

I've been close to snakes too many times, including treading on one that I did not see in thick scrub. There's a brief thread on gaiters at
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23094
The survey showed that most people wear long heavy gaiters to protect against scrub and snakes. As far as I am aware there is no science to show that long heavy gaiters afford adequate protection against snakes. A suggestion was made that heavy gaiters means that the fangs will catch. I do not know. I wear long gaiters on all walks. My gaiters are backed up with ballistic fabric and canvas, quite thick and likely to slow a snake down. Peace of mind.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Tastrippa » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 4:01 pm

Cheers again all, would seem I have found a very useful friendly site and I hope one day I can give some sage advice in return. I will endeavour to do a write up on my virgin overnight walk. With Friday being 32 I'll be leaving early to spend a hot day at the lake fishing and resting or maybe resting and fishing on sunset. and with sat forecast being 35 i reckon it'll be brekkie then gone but I'm sure I'll have a tale to tell none the less
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania