Western & Eastern Arthurs full travese gpx files ?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western & Eastern Arthurs full travese gpx files ?

Postby Dory » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 5:41 pm

Does anyone have gpx files of the Western & Eastern Arthurs full traverses ?

Even parts would be appreciated, looking at doing the attached route

And yes I do have hardcopy maps and a compass and will be using both, gpx files are a backup in situations of low visibility etc
Attachments
untitled.png
Dory
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Western & Eastern Arthurs full travese gpx files ?

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 9:03 pm

Follow the well maintained well marked track and you'll be alright... if the weather gets really foul just sit it out a day.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 8:50 am

Agree with SWTAS...also it's just not overly cool to share gpx files of places like this on the interwebs...it's an obvious route to follow but should only be attempted by those who don't need a GPS...2 camps at Junction Creek? That's the worst camping in the area. I'd rethink that one...
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 9:01 am

Heh Dory
Good track but if the weather is so bad you cant see it then you should have the day in your tent.
Some big drops around!
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 10:38 am

I'll pop my neck out for a moment, lest it be chopped off. I think I appreciate where you guys (responders) are coming from. But I don't think it's that simple.

I don't think I've been in a group who used gpx files for the WAs or EAs, but I was very glad to have the GPSs as back-up.

If we wait for visibility to be good, it may take days, requiring the trip to be needlessly aborted. And weather can turn foul at any time during the day, forecast or not. People can find themselves with minimal visibility part-way through the day, so it's not just a matter of sitting out the day in a tent. I tend to think that having a gpx file in areas with rock towers everywhere in the mist, especially with a sprinkling of snow, could potentially save a life, particularly in the case of injury. Why not use the technology we have to avoid a bad situation? I can understand not wanting to share gpx files for off-track walks, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me where there is already an official 'track'.

Last trip to the WAs, we met someone who has had a fair bit of experience walking in the SW. Mist came in, and he ended up in a scary situation, well off the route. It's certainly well-marked compared to lots of other walks in the SW, but given moderately challenging, let alone extreme conditions, it's not difficult for people to make a wrong move.

Should the Arthurs only be an option for super-duper-SW Tassie-hardified mountain leapers? How will the above-average walker, especially from interstate, get such experience? Smells a bit elitist - only we who were fortunate enough to join others who had the super-duper experience in this particular part of our state should be allowed in.

Will now pull head back in.

Tortoise
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 10:43 am

Tortoise wrote: I tend to think that having a gpx file in areas with rock towers everywhere in the mist, especially with a sprinkling of snow, could potentially save a life, particularly in the case of injury. Why not use the technology we have to avoid a bad situation? I can understand not wanting to share gpx files for off-track walks, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me where there is already an official 'track'.

Having a GPS when the weather rolls in is so helpful and prevents potentially disastrous mistakes. I can navigate with a map but it's useless when you can't see any features. I'm totally with you on this one.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 11:14 am

I'll pose this question to you...

GPS's can be waaay out depending on what is happening in the field at the time of recording or at the time of the reading. Would you trust some randoms GPS route from the internet anyway? You can often be 20m from the actual route, the GPS says you're all good but you're actually on the incorrect side of a rock tower...elitist schmelitist...don't go into the mountains if you aren't prepared for them...besides which visibility really isn't a problem, the track is obvious...and also, the less people that go into the Arthurs is better for the Arthurs, I'd rather discourage people, the place is being loved to death!
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby potato » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 12:07 pm

stepbystep wrote:I'll pose this question to you...

GPS's can be waaay out depending on what is happening in the field at the time of recording or at the time of the reading. Would you trust some randoms GPS route from the internet anyway? You can often be 20m from the actual route, the GPS says you're all good but you're actually on the incorrect side of a rock tower...elitist schmelitist...don't go into the mountains if you aren't prepared for them...besides which visibility really isn't a problem, the track is obvious...and also, the less people that go into the Arthurs is better for the Arthurs, I'd rather discourage people, the place is being loved to death!

I admit that I personally would avoid relying on a GPS but I do use them often for work and recreation.

I'd have to agree with the error problem. The is so much error with GPSs and the data they record - 20m can be a long way off track in the Arthurs. Even if the data was logged every metre - there are a lot of variables and therefore potential error.

Probably not the best idea to share GPS info where the accuracy of the data is so very important.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 12:18 pm

stepbystep wrote:GPS's can be waaay out depending on what is happening in the field at the time of recording or at the time of the reading. Would you trust some randoms GPS route from the internet anyway?

I don't always trust maps - which are often outdated or incorrect too, but having a second source of information for comparison is always helpful.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 12:31 pm

stepbystep wrote:I'll pose this question to you...

Hey SBS
1. Ok, you have a very good point about the accuracy of a GPS around rock towers etc. I know it can be very dodgy.

2. Would I trust some randoms GPS from the internet? Well, I'd take it with the odd sprinkle of salt if it was actually completely random. Though I doubt a bushwalker who had accidentally gone way off track would then share the file without mentioning that. (Maybe I'm too naïve.) But if the file came from someone with obvious and extensive experience in SW Tassie on this forum, then it wouldn't be from a random.

3. Just interested: I'm assuming you have/use a GPS (?). If so, would you leave it at home if you went to the Arthurs again?

4. Ah, yes, the loved to death issue. A tough and complex one, in my opinion. (I don't want to hi-jack this thread in that direction, though much has been/ will still be discussed on that topic.) Understandable if you don't want to encourage anyone to go, using any means. But I think it's basically a different issue from whether or no someone in the OP's position 'should' ask for a GPS trace. I don't think that discouraging people from taking a GPS, or gpx files, will have a big impact on who goes. But I take the point that it could possibly discourage anyone who would definitely not go unless they had a GPS file to follow.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 1:00 pm

stepbystep wrote:don't go into the mountains if you aren't prepared for them...

And the winner is... this comment!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 2:29 pm

Hey Tortoise :)

Yes I do carry one which I rarely use, if I do it's for off track. My last 3 trips into the Arthurs it's gone unused, I may well leave it behind next time and in fact don't think it went on my last Western Arthurs trip... I stopped sharing routes a while back because they have been misused(imo) and under appreciated, and once it's out there, it's gone from my control. I do carry a GPS as a security blanket when alone to(hopefully haha) navigate back to the correct ridge for example...there's usually one in a group for that reason also...

PS I'd go nuts if I found gps routes for off track traverses freely available online, the vast majority of my off track trips were done without the breadcrumb trail to follow, the odd shared waypoint after discussion with the other party will be as far as I go from this point.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:00 pm

Guys
IMO If conditions are so bad on the Arthurs that you are following a GPS track you really should not be moving.
Great to have an Epirb, maybe Avenza on your phone but vision, hearing and thought will stop you walking over big drops.
Its a very well worn track.
John
johnrs

Postby Warin » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 3:08 pm

Withing OSM there is a Western Arthurs path and an Eastern Arthurs path.
If you have a GPS with an OSM based map it should show the path ... such as it is. That are gaps particularly for the Western Arthurs.
If you really want them out of OSM as a GPX then that is possible. But it is easier to just use an OSM sourced map on your GPS.

Withing Strava there is little to nothing for the western A .. a fair amount for the Eastern A.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nicktobin » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:45 am

i found some GPX files on the internet a quick search will locate them.
with regards to GPS , my trip accross the arthurs this march will be the first time i have carried a GPS , always will use a map and compass as my primary and default method of navigation , i look at gps as a handy backup and as a few posters have put up if the weather does go completely to custard then its tenting up time till i can see were im going.
nicktobin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 10:10 am

Tortoise wrote:Should the Arthurs only be an option for super-duper-SW Tassie-hardified mountain leapers?

Something has to be.
Sufficient general experience and the right attitude towards walking are more important than Tassie-specific experience for the Arthurs, but one has to wonder if people who want GPX files for well-tracked routes do have that right attitude.

How will the above-average walker, especially from interstate, get such experience? Smells a bit elitist - only we who were fortunate enough to join others who had the super-duper experience in this particular part of our state should be allowed in.

I did my first WA traverse with far more experience in mainland walking than Tassie. Solo. No GPX file. Usual mix of good, bad and indifferent weather, including being stuck in the tent for two nights at High Moor.
If I managed that, then, how hard can it be for someone with the right gear and attitude and suitable level of general experience?

There are routes for which I will share info, sometimes including GPX files, but only under very particular circumstances. I also think that there are routes that, if you need a GPX file, you shouldn't be there in the first place.
Last edited by north-north-west on Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 6:07 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Tortoise wrote:Should the Arthurs only be an option for super-duper-SW Tassie-hardified mountain leapers?

Something has to be.

:cry:
Will get to the stage that people will not be allowed to leave their house unless they pass some stupid test...

Cook could never have left the UK.
No one could climb a mountain .. they had never been climbed before, so they are obviously too risky to allow people to go there..

You want to go to the moon? Nar .. too risky.

-----------------------
There is a line .... but it should not be based on 'experience', but rather on research and preparation.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:14 am

But for some places appropriate preparation includes a certain degree of relevant experience.

None of us has any obligation - either legal or moral - to hand out information. If I think someone is capable of handling a particular route and isn't going to pass on the info to those who aren't, I may assist with some details. But we have the right to keep information to ourselves where we have doubts about the advisability of doing otherwise, whether it's to protect the place from overuse or to protect people from themselves.

It's not all or nothing, you know, so using extreme examples to try to ridicule the idea actually ridicules nothing but yourself.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Dory » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 11:06 am

what a bunch of arrogant tossers you lot are

I asked a simple question, a yes reply would have been sufficient if you have gpx files or silence if you don't have gpx files for the Arthurs

but no, instead you all go on making assumptions about my experience level, intended use for the files, how I may or may not navigate, giving self righteous advice and how/what you would do

OH and the classic.............only us super cool hero guys get the go to the Arthurs because we don't want anyone else going there

great community you guys have here...............now continue to disappear up your own self important egos
Dory
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby devoswitch » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 11:25 am

Now now, no need for name calling.
I don't believe anyone really cares about you, your experience level or what you truly meant while asking your question. The picture's bigger than YOU. You're just a relevant example and the OP.
Big breaths...
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 12:49 pm

Dory wrote:what a bunch of arrogant tossers you lot are

Hang in there Dory... with only a couple of posts on the forum, folks are just trying to ascertain your experience etc so they can offer the best advice. Many have been here before you and the forum simply want to make sure they are not sending some "arrogant tosser" into an area where maybe they don't have the requisite knowledge and experience. There are some great threads in the forum of some folks who maybe should have better heeded the advice of the 'arrogant tossers'. Most lived to walk again but some had shocking experiences beyond their level of bravado.

Have fun in the Arthurs - I hope you get some good weather and enjoy the views. Don't spend too much time looking at the GPS.
Last edited by tastrax on Thu 08 Feb, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby stepbystep » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 2:23 pm

Hey Dory, no-one was having a go at you. This is a forum, a space to discuss stuff...maybe you should have started a poll for your yes/no needs...how's this?

...no...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 10:47 pm

I think I can sympathize with some of Dorys frustrations. The question was " has anyone got a GPX file of the Western and Eastern Arthurs ?" Not " is it OK to use a gps when traversing the Arthurs ?" Sure , it's a forum and everyone has there own opinions but at the end of the day it is Dorys final decision on what he/she may need to safely enjoy this walk. As the gurus have so willingly pointed out it is a well worn track, so whats the issue here ? He/she is not asking for a file to the Spires or Vanishing Falls !
SBS states that it is not ' overly cool ' to share gpx files in the public domain but feels it is OK to post images and time lapse footage of awesome places that are definitely outside of the well worn walking tracks. Do you really think that your images aren't inspiring under-cooked walkers to have a crack at some of these places ? With or without a GPX file. If Dory ventured forth and proceeded to get severely lost it's not hard to image some of the naysayers being the first to ask why a GPS wasn't considered as mandatory safety gear. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Hope you find what ever you need to safely enjoy your time in such a beautiful place Dory.........enjoy!!!
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 7:27 am

Dory wrote:what a bunch of arrogant tossers you lot are

:shock:
Hey.. not all of 'us'.
I'm just a plain tosser. Not arrogant all ...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 8:44 am

Heh Dory
If you have not found the waypoints
then you can load the track details from LIST maps here
https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map
The track is clearly marked on LIST and I imagine will also be on the equivalent Avenza map.

As the track is well defined I think the most useful waypoints would be for some of the emergency moraine exits
which I understand are quite sketchy.
John Chapmans guide also contains plenty of detail

I took my teenage kids through there last year
Another old tosser
John
johnrs

Postby Orion » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 10:20 am

I lost the track on the last part of the Western Arthurs, the final half km or so before reaching the Eastern Arthurs track. The path I was following just sort of petered out. Would an accurate waypoint have saved me the bit of scrub bashing I ended up doing?

Avenza does not show a track between the Moraine Kappa turnoff and the Eastern Arthurs track. I added a few waypoints to the Avenza maps in advance, based on Chapman's sketch of the route. I did it as a kind of dummy check backup as I am all too often a navigational dummy. It obviously didn't help me with that one little bit. Assuming there is in fact a track there it couldn't have been too far off. But even 50m away it might have been invisible.

The few route decisions elsewhere that I encountered were not ones that a GPS would help resolve.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 12:01 pm

The Tasmanian government makes these tracks publicly available in both raster and vector format on LISTmap and on LIST OpenData ('Transport Segments') websites, respectively. The vector formats (Shapefiles and file Geodatabases) can be easily converted to GPX if your application/device cannot read SHP or fGDB.

I wouldn't rely on them for navigational accuracy though. Nor would I rely on a GPX from anybody else for navigational accuracy. However, either can be useful for general information, such as an overview of where today's walking might take me.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Return to Tasmania