Junction Lake

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Junction Lake

Postby Rick » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 5:31 pm

Hey all, just wondering if any of you have walked into Junction Lake recently? If so, which track did you take, Junction Lake track via Lake Adelaide or Lake Myrtle track? Curious about track condition and times.

Cheers Rick
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Junction Lake

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 8:21 pm

Id have to say Lake Myrtle Track.
While I havent actually done it I have done the Junction Lake Track via Lake Adelaide and it is a bit of a tedious root hop down the eastern side of the lake.
Photos of I seen of the Lake myrtle Track look more interesting.
To get to Lake Meston Hut via the junction Lake Track in a day should be easily enough done
I think the Lake Myrtle Track might have quite a few more ups and downs but I'm sure there are others who will be able to give you good advice on times etc.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 07 Feb, 2018 7:18 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:To get to Lake Meston Hut via the junction Lake Track in a day should be easily enough done

Meston to Junction is an easy half day. Hut to hut even shorter.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 6:43 am

I would go Lake Mrytle to Meston Hut then on to Junction Lake. The times I have recorded were about 5 hours from Mersey Forest Road to Meston Hut on the Lake Mytrle Track. You can do a side trip up Mt Rogoona but this time is not included. From Meston Hut to Junction Lake is about 2 hours.

When we did the Lake Myrtle Track it was fairly easy to follow there are a couple of sections that can get overgrown and become hard to follow but in clear weather navigation is easy once you are out of the forest at the commencement of the track.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania