Tassie in winter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tassie in winter

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 10:45 pm

Circumstance allows me a hike in Tassie in July - having some cold/snow (but not wet) experience in Vic High plains over the last few years - I says 'yes', I can do cold - but I've avoided the wet. For a 4 night hike - with a mate - departing from Hobart - whats a great hike in winter? Or is this idea something to avoid? Love to hear from you.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Tassie in winter

Postby north-north-west » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 7:16 am

Plenty of good walking down here in winter. It's the best time to hit the east coast, for instance - Freycinet is a bit quieter, as is the Tasman Peninsula. Weasther less likely to be settled of course, butt that's winter everywhere.
There are still plenty of us who head into the higher country that time of year. Somewhere like the Walls or a bit of mucking around from Cynthia Bay or Dove Lake. Harder work as there could well e snow around, but one of the easier circuits there would be good. You could even do a bit of the Overland - out and back from one end or the other or, if the weather is a bit more settled (and it often is earlier in winter) do a quick trip up or down the whole thing. Or go in at Cynthia Bay and out via Arm River, if you can organise transport.
If you're comfortable with basic off-track navigation there are plenty of options on the Central Plateau, utilising some of the major tracks. Again, transport option might limit you.
It really depends on conditions at the time you're down here, but there are few places we don't go midwinter.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 9:27 am

NNW - thanks for mentioning a few options, thats great and I'll look those up - I was considering the Walls of Jerusalem - possibly a dumb question but would it be sensible to pack the snow shoes for that one?
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 11:50 am

Bring them with you, but there's never any guarantee that we'll have snow, or enough snow to warrant using them. Again, make the judgment when you're here, based on prevailing conditions.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby taswegian » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 12:29 pm

Walls is a great place and even in Winter.
One thing I've always appreciated is the centre of the reserve, just across the Mersey River can be shrouded in clouds and other muck whilst The Walls are free.

At least the weather is more predictable in winter, as opposed to other times.
It's either Wet. Snowy. Frosty. Sunny And generally only one of those, other times roll them all into one day. :P

It's not far to bale out of if it's too unpleasant.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for the endorsement on The Walls, Taswegian - I'm going to book it in and look forward to the planning stage! Thanks too NNW - all the best to you both.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania